Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

Question CPO warranty: Check engine light and radio

Well my 2000 Boxster S has a 2 year CPO warranty that started last month.

I have a check engine light so I called a Porsche dealership and they told me over the phone that not a lot of check engine light causes are covered by the CPO warranty.

Also, my CDR-220 radio isn't working well: the screen display only lights up 20% of the time, sometimes it shuts off by istelf, sometimes the buttons don't work, etc...

My Porsche dealership told me the CPO doesn't cover the Porsche radio and sound system.

Is everything this Porsche dealership telling me true?

Many thanks

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
EE3racing

For starters, without knowing the codes on the CEL, (nature of the light) anyone saying it isn't covered is trying to get you off the phone. As for the 220, I hate it, the buttons are not intuitive at all. sometimes it won't play a track then a minute or two later it starts blaring, in short it's ironic the radio has such sophisticated security codes, frankly it's not worth stealing.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79

I have a check engine light so I called a Porsche dealership and they told me over the phone that not a lot of check engine light causes are covered by the CPO warranty.

Also, my CDR-220 radio isn't working well: the screen display only lights up 20% of the time, sometimes it shuts off by istelf, sometimes the buttons don't work, etc...

My Porsche dealership told me the CPO doesn't cover the Porsche radio and sound system.

Many thanks
Not sure if what they are telling you is true or not but I'd suspect most all CEL issues w/should be covered by CPO. I assume too that USA and Canada are the same regarding coverages. Interestingly enough though, I just pulled the CPO brochure for the states and it makes no mention of the radio

CPO Brochure from PCNA Website

If radio is not covered, PCNA could certainly use a lesson from Toyota/Lexus in regards to CPO. Lexus has replaced my back up camera and my leather shift boot cover all at no charge and a few other things w/out me even mentioning

Good luck and don't be afraid to "push" them on these issues. Only problem you might have woul dbe some resistance if you bought the car in the US and imported to Canada. Keep us posted.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #4

thanks for the replies

Canadian Porsche dealers are obliged to service cars from the USA according to Porsche North America.

I will try to push for the CEL codes but the guy told me that ''most codes are not covered''

wtf?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:

Many thanks

Pull out the CPO paperwork and start to learn the details well. Based on my experience, you will need it. These dealers are sharks on the warranty coverage.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
thanks for the replies

Canadian Porsche dealers are obliged to service cars from the USA according to Porsche North America.

I will try to push for the CEL codes but the guy told me that ''most codes are not covered''

wtf?
The CPO is not a wear and tear warranty, so, if a part fails and/or subsequent parts fail due to wear and tear, it will not be covered. Plus, they get you on the "lack of normal maintenance" clause. Most CEL's will fall under the wear and tear clause. Sorry, IMO, CPO's aren't worth the paper they're written on. This is another reason I stay away from extended warranties of any kind.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
The CPO is not a wear and tear warranty, so, if a part fails and/or subsequent parts fail due to wear and tear, it will not be covered. Plus, they get you on the "lack of normal maintenance" clause. Most CEL's will fall under the wear and tear clause. Sorry, IMO, CPO's aren't worth the paper they're written on. This is another reason I stay away from extended warranties of any kind.

Well if the engine blows or the transmission fails or something cracks in the suspension it's nice to have.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Well if the engine blows or the transmission fails or something cracks in the suspension it's nice to have.
Sure, but was is due to "normal wear and tear", look, it is good to have some assurance, however, car warranties are like HMO's here in the US, their only point for being here is to make money, and they never lose.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
Sure, but was is due to "normal wear and tear", look, it is good to have some assurance, however, car warranties are like HMO's here in the US, their only point for being here is to make money, and they never lose.

Actually, plenty of HMOs lose money. Not many warranty companies!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #10

Whats the point of CPO if things are not covered?
I had an Audi S4 CPO and EVERYTHING short or wear and tear items were covered.
(and I needed it cause that car had "issues")

I find it VERY hard to believe that CEL issues would not be covered?
I'm sure anything serious would be taken care of.

Good luck!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote