Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 06:09 AM   #1

Unhappy Blown Engine

This is my first post on this forum. I wanted to tell what happened to my wife’s Boxster:

Last year I bought her a new 2006 Boxster with Tiptronic. The car now is about a year and a half old and has just over 12,000 miles on it. We live in a cold climate (Minnesota), so the car is stored in a garage from December to March. The car is never driven very hard. It has never been on the track. It hasn’t been modified in any way.

Two weeks ago my wife was driving my son to a birthday party on a Saturday. She was on the freeway when she accelerated to pass a car. Suddenly something didn’t feel right with the car. A few seconds later the “check engine” light started flashing and the car started beeping at her. A message on the instrument panel told her to get the car to a Porsche dealer immediately. She pulled off the freeway and turned the car off. After that it would not start.

She called Porsche Roadside Assistance who sent a tow truck. The car was towed to the nearest dealership (Carousel Porsche, Minnesota) where they didn’t even look at it for 3 days. They pulled the engine and started taking it apart. The service manager checked a computer readout and was able to tell that the car had not been driven in an abusive manner. He said he was able to tell it had never been over-revved. They eventually determined that there was a hole in one valve lifter which caused it to fail. This apparently led to significant engine damage.

Next the service manager told us that Porsche wanted them to take the engine apart piece by piece and catalog all the damaged parts to determine if our engine should be fixed or replaced. He described this as a tedious process, and he didn’t seem very enthusiastic about doing it. He dragged it out over several days, and eventually announced to us that Porsche had authorized replacement of our engine with a rebuilt engine. Tomorrow it will be exactly 2 weeks since the car died, and it still isn’t fixed. We’re hoping it will be done by early next week. My wife is very unhappy because these are the last few days of the driving season here in Minnesota, and she has missed them. We’ll be putting the car away for the winter again soon. The service manager’s attitude is that we should be happy that Porsche is fixing our car under warranty. My wife is now nervous about driving the car. She is afraid of taking any long trips because she is afraid of getting stranded somewhere far from home or a dealership.

I have a number of questions regarding this experience. Has anyone out there had this happen to their Boxster? It seems like the dealership has taken their sweet time repairing the car. Is that pretty common? Is a rebuilt engine going to last as long and be as good as the original engine? Is this going to reduce the future resale value of our car? Any thoughts?

randijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #2

I'd be very happy with getting a free factory remanufactured engine from germany. It is the best you could have hoped for.

The biggest cause of engine failures people talk about is IMS (intermediate shaft) failure. Sounds like you did not experience that, but the net effects (blown engire) were just as bad. Anytime something bad like this happens be very grateful you are under warrantly and don't have to spend 12K on a re-mfg'd engine.

Also be happy they did not decide to rebuild your current junk engine
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #3

First off, total engine failures in the Box are NOT rare, they are reported here from time to time.

Second, Porsche has changed its policy. They used to simply swap in a new engine and do it pretty quickly. Now, they do what you are experiencing.

Puzzling to say the least. If I had a new Porsche with a blown engine, the last thing I would want to do is wait until these turds got around to fixing it.

Moreover, personally, I would never buy another Porsche, but that is me.

From a corporate perspective, I just don't get it.

But then again, the Germans are totally arrogant when it comes to these things.

PS- I am of German heritage.

Best of luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
I'd be very happy with getting a free factory remanufactured engine from germany. It is the best you could have hoped for.

The biggest cause of engine failures people talk about is IMS (intermediate shaft) failure. Sounds like you did not experience that, but the net effects (blown engire) were just as bad. Anytime something bad like this happens be very grateful you are under warrantly and don't have to spend 12K on a re-mfg'd engine.

Well, think of it this way. This is the same factory that built the first engine that failed. So, you could look at this as a glass half empty also.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12

I don't understand your logic here. The guys 60K dollar car has a engine melt down when less than 2 yrs old.

Why should he be GRATEFUL for a new engine?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
I am sorry this happened to you. Sometimes you just get a bad motor...yes in a Porsche or even a Toyota. Thank goodness for warranties. It is very annoying but not uncommon for a dealer to take 2-3 weeks to sort everything out when this happens.

My advice to you is to try to be patient and let them fix it good as new. A Porsche Reman. motor should be like new in every way and should not affect resale value.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
bmussatti

Randijo, sorry about the issues you are having. Don't fret about future problems, take that road trip, that's what cell phones are for and roadside assistance, if needed.

Don't forget to properly break-in the new motor. Re-read your owners manual. Negotiate with the dealership and possibly PCNA and see if they will upgarde the engine to the 3.2L. Worth a couple grand out-of-pocket if you asked me.

I would still rather have a Porsche, with a potentail for break down, than no Porsche at all.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

Best of luck.

Richard, comments like this are reckless and unnecessary. Not to mention a stereotype. You are a smarter man than this.

So what if you of German heritage. That gives the the right to bash an entire country?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Remind us again then, Richard, why are you even here? This is a place for Porsche enthustiests not cantacerous & angry old men.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I wouldn't stress about it. A replaced engine means you have another chance at getting an engine that will not break down. I have done two 1600 roundtrip road trips in my Boxster with no problems.
Getting a bad engine in a Boxster is just the luck of the draw. Get you car, break in the engine, and enjoy. Once you pass 25K miles your chances of an engine failure decrease dramatically. But extended warranties are always a good backup.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #11

As I understand it, porsches new policy is either attempt to fix the engine at the dealer (yuck!) or get a re-mfg'd engine from germany. I'd be much more comfortable with the latter. Obviously, it stinks it broke in the first place but at least you aren't having it fixed at the shop. If you complain in the right way, maybe you can get them to extend your warranty some more or give you a special longer warranty on the replaced engine?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Richard, comments like this are reckless and unnecessary. Not to mention a stereotype. You are a smarter man than this.

So what if you of German heritage. That gives the the right to bash an entire country?

I am not bashing an entire country. Let me be clearer. The German car makers exhibit an arrogance (IMHO) that I find puzzling and annoying. I have owned many BMWs, Porsches,, VW, and Mercedes and candidly, my experiences has been consistent. If something breaks, YOU are suspect, it is never THEIR car.

There is nothing reckless in my statements. The man just had a new engine blow and the companies response is to take their sweet time fixing it.

As a customer, I would find this inexcusable. They should be bending over backwards to satisfy this customer (IMHO). This is not a $15K cCvic, it is a Porsche.

As a country, Germany is well know for their engineering. I don't think anyone would accuse them of being warm and fuzzy, nor are they know for their customer satisfaction.

Data abounds on this fact by the way.

Cultures are the way they are. The reputation is not borne out of thin air.

Last edited by Brucelee; 11-23-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #13

A dealer cannot replace an engine without getting the ok from Atlanta or the dealer will not get paid. As of 2005 dealers are authorized to do engine repairs.

What I think is going on. Taking an engine apart in an attempt to fix it takes a lot of time, but Porsche will pay the dealer only so much for warranty work. I have never asked the hourly rate for warranty work but I suspect it is less then the usual rate charged customers.

The Cayenne is having problems with plastic coolant tubes on top of the engine that split. The engine has to be removed to replace these tubes. This is warranty work so the dealer is paid by Atlanta to replace the tubes. One of the people I spoke to did not like it because it takes a lot of time to drop the engine and Atlanta pays only so much. So a dealer has to do this work and get X dollars when they could be using that time to make more than X dollars.

One of these days I will try to find out more details on how warranty payments work.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow thats pretty harsh. Time to start a different forum? What made your experiences so bad? I've owned 3 porsche and had little problems, but I know some people have major problems, but what car brands dont have problems here or there? My 2008 Hummer h2 overheated with 1000 miles , seems they forgot to tighten a coolant hose, had 6 family members in the car. Ferraris and Lambos have even MORE problems even with only a few thousand miles on the ticker theyre maintenance queens. It happens to the best of em. Have to look at the positives and not the negatives, if you looked at the negatives of any car you wouldnt be driving let alone enjoying it!
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 11-23-2007 at 10:02 PM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #15

Quote:
First off, total engine failures in the Box are NOT rare, they are reported here from time to time.

Second, Porsche has changed its policy. They used to simply swap in a new engine and do it pretty quickly. Now, they do what you are experiencing.

Puzzling to say the least. If I had a new Porsche with a blown engine, the last thing I would want to do is wait until these turds got around to fixing it.

From a corporate perspective, I just don't get it.

Best of luck.

At least this staetment explains your attitude. Doesn't excuse it but explains it.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 AM   #16

I live in MN and have had good experiences with Maplewood Imports. I have not used Carousel for service. It sucks that your engine failed but getting a remanufactured engine, which is really just like a new engine, is the best possible outcome. I've read on this forum and others that the reman engines have all newly updated components and go thru more rigorous testing than regular production engines. One suggestion, see if Carousel will give you a Cayman to use as a loaner. They have quite a few in stock and I heard that they may be using one or two as loaners. If they are providing a loaner, even if it's a crappy Pontiac, they will be incented to move faster. Good luck.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 AM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I totally respect Bruceleee, but I have to say that I disagree. While people may post RMS failures commonly, on this forum. You have to remember that forums are an outlet for people with bad experiences to share there problem with there P-Car, or just talk. There are plenty of Boxster owners that never have been to a forum, and have never had a problem. The Boxster owners who are part of this forum, are a small percentage of the Boxster owners in the world, so you have to take the reports of RMS, out of the hundreds of thousands of Boxsters not just the few hundred active 986forum members.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I totally respect Bruceleee, but I have to say that I disagree. While people may post RMS failures commonly, on this forum. You have to remember that forums are an outlet for people with bad experiences to share there problem with there P-Car, or just talk. There are plenty of Boxster owners that never have been to a forum, and have never had a problem. The Boxster owners who are part of this forum, are a small percentage of the Boxster owners in the world, so you have to take the reports of RMS, out of the hundreds of thousands of Boxsters not just the few hundred active 986forum members.

Good points and I admit my experience may be atypical. We never really have any data on the IMS and RMS failures so we simply go with what we have.

I am not happy with the way Porsche seems to suspect folks who show up with blown motors. My neighbor got the third degree when here new 986 engine blew with 11 k miles on it. She was sort of terrified by the third degree she got.

Seems to me, they could have been apologizing instead. They know that these motors are prone to IMS failures, so why the attitude?

Food for thought.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #19

I agree and disagree with a lot that is said here..

Porsche service seems to have a LOT to do with the dealership itself. The experience differs from one to the next. The dealer CAN fight for the customer and even make the discussion transparent to the customer IF they choose to. This has a lot to do with why enthusiasts choose one dealer over another.

As for the engine failure issue, reality is, most people don't seek out forums like this one until they have a reason to vent, thus the first appearance in places like this is to announce something catastrophic. To that end, it makes things seem much worse than they really are. I have a number of friends with porsches new and old and none have ever had so much as an engine light come on (same applies to me 3 porsches later). It does puzzle me how many people have 98-2001 cars that do have issues and complain to the heavens about engine failures or other problems as if it should be under warranty. The cars are approaching 10 years old at this point in some cases, nearly double the normal factory warranty time frame. Why do people expect porsche to put a brand new engine in a 10 year old car for free? Even if it's got 10 miles on it, it's still 10 years old. Mileage is one thing, time is another. You hear all the RMS/IMS noise constantly from those that feel the need to be vocal after it happens to them, but i'd be willing to bet it effects less than 1 percent of the cars out there.

Anyway, i'm ranting, I know Just try to put the whole RMS/IMS issue in true perspective and BUY THAT WARRANTY on a used car!
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
... I am not happy with the way Porsche seems to suspect folks who show up with blown motors...
In dealers defense, they see a lot of blown engines that are caused by abuse. When replacing engines under warranty, I'm sure dealers get a fair bit of scrutiny from PCNA. They need to make sure they get reimbursed so they ask questions and check OBD. Some dealers may cross the line into disrespectful interrogation. If that happens, talk to Service Manager, rip them on the surveys, or go to a different dealer. But you can't expect them not to ask any questions when they are footing the bill.

choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote