Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #1

Sound Like a Good Wish List?

http://www.autogeek.net/bf200.html

http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-bonnet.html

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-7424.html

Any additions or substitutions? It is a black car.

SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #2

You've selected a very expensive wax. I've personally not used it, so I won't offer an opinion, except that there are plenty of waxes that cost a lot less.

I would suggest you consider a claybar (with quick detailer spray). That will make a huge difference in how clean your paint is. That will help you achieve a better shine with any wax (or sealant) you choose.

Also, if your black car has some scratches/flaws you will need a corrective polish. I used both Manzerna Intensive Polish (medium strength with a yellow pad) and also Zaino-PC (a finishing polish on a white pad).

Here's my thread with what I did on my '02 Basalt Black:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13801&highlight=detailing

My car had a lot of visible micro-scratches before I started. I was able to remove nearly all of those scratches. I used Zaino sealant (not a wax) and I am still very satisfied with its longetivity -- 60 days later, the car still glows. Good luck.

/
Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #3

Oh, you need some quality micro-fibre towels. I use about 10 to detail my car. I use both the waffle weave and the really soft fluffy kind.

I also suggest some cotton towels for the dirty areas (like inside the door sill).

I forget if you had car wash! If not, get some.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
EE3racing

Try this recipe: Excellent wash, dry Sonus clay glide entire car. Blackfire clear coat polish, end with P21S carnuba, awesome.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:

"Oh, you need some quality micro-fibre towels. I use about 10 to detail my car. I use both the waffle weave and the really soft fluffy kind."

Posted by fatmike.

What kind of MF towels (that's "MicroFiber" to the uninitiated!) do you use? The on-line ones, or are you satisfied with over the counter ones? Per PerfectLap's suggestions, I have been looking at the ChemicalGuys and PakShack websites, but they can get CONFUSING AS HELL in their descriptions of the 37 different kinds of MFs they have. I have spent literally HOURS poring over their descriptions, trying to figure which ones sound better, then logging off the website and computer, STILL not having made up my mind...

BTW, your car looks wonderful (in the October post). Have you used the Menzerna Final Polish (as opposed to the Zaino); I haven't used either, but was leaning towards the Menzerna.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #6

Change of plan, I am not getting that stuff for Xmas but I might buy it for myself later. My gift this year will be paying my car off, woo.

I have clay bars and wash, and MF towels. I wanted the expensive wax because for one its christmas and I wouldnt be paying for it, and for two I want the best.
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
You've selected a very expensive wax. I've personally not used it, so I won't offer an opinion, except that there are plenty of waxes that cost a lot less.

I would suggest you consider a claybar (with quick detailer spray). That will make a huge difference in how clean your paint is. That will help you achieve a better shine with any wax (or sealant) you choose.
Mike's right, the Pinnacle is a little expensive, but at the moment it's my favorite. I have a couple of $150.00+ variations of Zymol that sit on the shelf because I prefer the Pinnacle. The ease of use is what keeps me going back to it. It is very stable. I've never gotten any streaks or haze from it. Check with Showtime. I saw them at one of the big shows and got my Pinnacle Souveran for under $50.00.

Mike's also right when he suggests a claybar. Nothing will affect your final outcome as much as clay will. It makes all your other products perform better. Use it once and you'll never go without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder
Any additions or substitutions? It is a black car.
Prozac may help.

Frodo- I hope someone can answer your microfiber question because I'm as confused as you are. Apparently, there are varying qualities of microfiber, but how do you tell?

I will say this. I got a couple of yellow microfiber waffle towels for drying from Griot's and they are awesome.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote