Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #1

Unhappy Loss of steering feel from winter tires

I swapped out my brand new Pirelli P-Roso summer tires 2 weeks ago for some Viking SnowTech winter tires.

The summer tires were 205-50-17 in the front and 255-40-17 in the rear.

My winter tires are 225-45-17 all around.

The steering feel on my Boxster S was nice and heavy with loads of steering feel when I had my summer tires on; as soon as my mechanic put the winter tires on the original wheels I felt the steering become loose, vague, light and not as precise

I was expecting to loose a bit of tightness in the steering with the winter tires but is it normal that the steering feels so much more loose-vague now?

Is it because I don't have performance winter tires, or do you guys with performance pricey snow tires still retained that great steering feel that comes with summer tires?

thanks...

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #2

Winter tires suck for steering feel. The treadblocks are big, soft and squirmy and if you didn't get the performance-oriented ones (which are worse on snow and ice) it's even more pronounced.

Winter isn't that long, you'll get used to it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I had no idea you could run the same size all-round. Oh well, I already bought High-Performance Winters. I am getting them mounted tomorrow so I will let you know. But I think if there new, then there is a break-in period, where the tires are stiff.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #4

Yeah my 225 size tires fit perfectly on the OEM Boxster S wheels. I thought the tires would be stretched but nope, it's perfect!

As for the steering feel issue, my winter tires are really not performance tires; they are just really good snow-ice tires, nothing fancy...

Maybe if I get an allignment and increase the caster degree setting up front it will help with the loose steering feel..

arghh can't wait for spring already!!!

lol
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #5

Winter Conti's all the way around as a necessary evil for extending the driving season a little. I live in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the Earth, but I really do hate winter.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I just got my new ContiWinterContacts mounted. There wasn't much snow left for me to test them on. I had the wheels spin a bit, because I let the clutch out to fast, but besides that they were stable. They have about a 500 mile break-in period. I did drive through some snow, and swerve a bit on purpose. The steering is just a little bit less responsive, but it's a sacrifice to enjoy the Boxster all-year. When I went through some 4" powder, the rear of the car sort of slipped to one side (I think the snow just compacted and the car shifted) as I was turning but I didn't feel out of control, the car went right where I wanted it to. I am planning on finding a vacant lot tomorrow, to test them thoroughly.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
As for the steering feel issue, my winter tires are really not performance tires; they are just really good snow-ice tires, nothing fancy...

Maybe if I get an allignment and increase the caster degree setting up front it will help with the loose steering feel..
Caster is non-adjustable on the Boxster. Sorry.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #8

I too have the Pirelli P-Roso as my summer rubber. That is a very tough comparison.

I just put my snow tires on. Dunlops. They seem pretty good, but then again I was just doing donuts in a nearby parking lot for :20 minutes. I'd probably still be out there, but my 7 year old demanded we stop or she was going to get sick. That pretty much ended the fun.

Surprised overall how good the Boxster is in the snow.

-
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #9

I took a good drive today on my winter tires (Dunlops on 17" wheels). Steering is tight and precise with good feedback. Maybe not quite the same as with the 18" summer rubber, but its still darn good.

My Winter tires have a staggered width (wider in the back) so, maybe that matters?

I would go double check your set-up:

- Are you winter tires warped or damaged?
- Are they balanced?
- Are they "uni-directional" tires? If so, are they mounted in the right place so they turn in the designed direction?
- Are your lug bolts tight?
- Is the tire pressure correct?

Good luck.