Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidhts1
Thanks 'racer d'- The dealer referenced the 'N' rating as having to do with side wall stiffness/thickness or the rigidity of the tire... He said that without this rating the car would handle like S**t... Now I feel like a total dweeb.

Now how much sense does that really make. Think about it....There are only about 5 N rated tires. So without one of these specific tires, your car, which handled so greatly before, will now handle like crap. Ask yourself what cars have handling capabilities similar to those of P-cars, and what shoes do they wear. Vettes, Ferraris, Vipers, Lotus, BMW, etc, etc. There is something to be said for the N-rating (maybe some corporate back scratching), but there are very capable tires that are not N-rated.

Last edited by mtch; 12-03-2007 at 11:41 AM.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackONblack
For your rear rim being so wide, so smallest width you can use that will stretch and fit is 265/35. If you increase the width (275-285) then you will have to decrese the sidewall hieght (275/30 or 285/25). But as I stated before if you go much wider in the rear you will have fender/strut rub issues. Your front rims are the same width as stock rims so there is no difference there. 225/40 front will fit fine and fill out the wheel well without spacers.

Front 225/40
Rear 265/35 or 275/30.

I have an 03 S with the Carrera wheels (8x18 & 10x18). I replaced the rears (265/35 stock) this summer with 275/35 tires with no problems. No camber adjustments, everything else stock. I live in the mountains, and have done 2 DEs at VIR so I've driven pretty hard many times since the change. No issues with that size.

One thing to consider is the front / rear size difference balance. I noticed the difference that came with the increased front to rear offset. Rear held tighter, (more oversteer at speed) which is good in most cases but not as good in a few isolated instances. Just something to consider.

mtch is offline   Reply With Quote