Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #1

Yay!!! New convertible top covered under warranty.

I'm getting a new top but on the Boxster compliments of Porsche. A small hole developed in the rear window where it folds in and Porsche is covering it under the warranty!!!

Porsche service at least at the North Scottsdale dealership has exceeded every expectation I have EVER had about quality at a service shop.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #2

Porsche N. Scottsdale may be the Best Porsche Dealership in America - thier service was mostly excellent and they treated me like a family friend when I was a local. They have a FANTASTIC facility with over a dozen lifts.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #3

I just noticed that at the middle top part of my rear window there is a a vertical tear almost quarter inch. Upon inspection it was caused when the top goes down. I noticed aftera car wash and there was a drop of water running on the inside fo the window. I hope that my local dealership in Greenwich, CT will cover it. The car is 2 years old this month.
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
What does it cost to get a new top? I'm talking about dealership prices, too, including putting the blasted thing in.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #5

try this on ebay..not original POrsche though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7921705716&category=33652&sspagename=WDVW
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #6

i just ordered a top from my wholesaler for $455.00 it takes 1 week to get but origal graphite grey on rs1 black underneeth.once i receive it i am installing it myself i will take photos.my old one is black.also when ever you replace your factory top you can choose if you want the original green window or smoke cool huh
TO2IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #7

I've heard getting the top replaced at the dealer can run up to $2000. Hopefully others will have the same experience that Ad and I have had with Porsche North Scottsdale if they need to get their top replaced and the car is still covered under warranty.

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 09-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
porsche986

hi, are you guys on about changing the whole top roof because of the plastic window splitting?

when mine split they just replaced the plastic window and they told me to renew it every 3 years. to stop the window cracking your supposed to chop the window half converted for around 12 months after that it finds its own level and folds with no problems, if you dont chop the window it WILL split again within 5 month.

This is my 3rd window in all my years of having a boxster not bad really at £550 a time, i think its pretty cheap.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:47 AM   #9

wouldn't it be better on the long term to replace with a glass window?
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:12 AM   #10
porsche986

Thats correct but i think the idea of a glass window is a little sad for sports cars, alittle bit like people putting the windows up so there hair wont be messed up.... The whole idea behind a true sports car is to see the little plastic window. I have seen the new boxster with the glass windows and i dont like them and i aint alone. Ferrari have always kept the idea of the plastic window as it is the true sports car way. There are too many cars with glass windows like toyota and and all other firms that want to offer its convertable. BMW, FERRARI AND PORSCHE always have went for plastic, well besides the new boxster that is ....it would stop the marks caused by converting but my top is always down so my back window is always looking new

I guess it all depends on the driver, however i can see your point
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #11

Just FYI, the new BMW Z4 has a Glass window. The only reason why Porsche went with a plastic window in the first place is that they couldn't come up with an engineering design to make the top fold with a glass window. I imagine the Z3 was the same.

How does a glass window make a car not a sport car?

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 09-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #12

Glass vs. Plastic

Is the plastic window replacable with the glassw window? I was told by a dealer that this not possible due to the different mechanics involved.
bnavani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #13

If you have 7 grand sitting around and nothing better to do with it, yes.

2005 Acura TL Nav