Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #1

Porsche USA Site Downgrades Boxster S 0-60 time

Today (probably as a result of the introduction of the Boxster S RS), I noticed on the Porsche USA site that Porsche downgraded their 0-60 time on the Boxster S from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds to 5.2 seconds (yes, 2 days ago it was 5.1 seconds). They did however forget to change the Limited Boxster S time of 5.1 seconds for 0-60. Let's see if they change that in a day or two as well. Are they quoting 5.1 seconds for the newly introduced RS version, and trying to distinguish what 8 additional hp can do against the standard Boxster S? Did they not want to print 4.9 seconds as it would intrude on Carrera territory? Or did the Boxster S actually get slower? Let's face facts, the standard Boxster S can do 0-60 under 5 seconds, but again Porsche does not want to damage the reputation of their sacred cow 911. They are claiming a top speed of 170 mph for the RS, as compared to 169mph in a standard Boxster S and Limited Boxster S.
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 11-27-2007 at 02:37 PM.
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
blkboxster

i wonder why? Did the Boxster 0-60 time change?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
Today (probably as a result of the introduction of the Boxster S RS), I noticed on the Porsche USA site that Porsche downgraded their 0-60 time on the Boxster S from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds to 5.2 seconds (yes, 2 days ago it was 5.1 seconds). They did however forget to change the Limited Boxster S time of 5.1 seconds for 0-60. Let's see if they change that in a day or two as well. Are they quoting 5.1 seconds for the newly introduced RS version, and trying to distinguish what 8 additional hp can do against the standard Boxster S? Did they not want to print 4.9 seconds as it would intrude on Carrera territory? Or did the Boxster S actually get slower? Let's face facts, the standard Boxster S can do 0-60 under 5 seconds, but again Porsche does not want to damage the reputation of their sacred cow 911. They are claiming a top speed of 170 mph for the RS, as compared to 169mph in a standard Boxster S and Limited Boxster S.
vincesf

Limited?? That's a good one, you mean the 04, 07 or now looks like 08 limited? Porsche is taking advantage of the customer's perception of limited edition = future bank account. In reality, sadly, Porsche has taken a page from American manufacturer's play book by making pseudo "special editions" with styling cues changed but no real performance difference, like a Chevy Cobalt with a trunk spoiler, wooooo now I'm scared for real...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
Limited?? That's a good one, you mean the 04, 07 or now looks like 08 limited? Porsche is taking advantage of the customer's perception of limited edition = future bank account. In reality, sadly, Porsche has taken a page from American manufacturer's play book by making pseudo "special editions" with styling cues changed but no real performance difference, like a Chevy Cobalt with a trunk spoiler, wooooo now I'm scared for real...
I agree, at this point the special editions are feeling a little gimmicky.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #5

i think mazda still takes the cake with the gimmicky special editions on the miata.
they've had non-special editions for 15 years now. different color this, different looking that, same engine. except for the 1999 10th anniversary edition which at least had a 6 speed that wasn't available otherwise. (until 2000 when they made the 6 speed less special).
but back to porsche land, yes, this is gimmicky and lame. generally leads me to believe that the next gen boxster is right around the corner
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
I think as above with regards too the fear of the 911 territory being broken into by the ''poor mans porsche''

The special edition is all bells and whistles and no Base guitar if you know what i mean.

Time Porsche sort it out,

GIVE US A 3.8 BOXSTER WITH GT3 HANDLING.

James

00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote