986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche USA Site Downgrades Boxster S 0-60 time (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14380)

vincesf 11-27-2007 02:27 PM

Porsche USA Site Downgrades Boxster S 0-60 time

Today (probably as a result of the introduction of the Boxster S RS), I noticed on the Porsche USA site that Porsche downgraded their 0-60 time on the Boxster S from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds to 5.2 seconds (yes, 2 days ago it was 5.1 seconds). They did however forget to change the Limited Boxster S time of 5.1 seconds for 0-60. Let's see if they change that in a day or two as well. Are they quoting 5.1 seconds for the newly introduced RS version, and trying to distinguish what 8 additional hp can do against the standard Boxster S? Did they not want to print 4.9 seconds as it would intrude on Carrera territory? Or did the Boxster S actually get slower? Let's face facts, the standard Boxster S can do 0-60 under 5 seconds, but again Porsche does not want to damage the reputation of their sacred cow 911. They are claiming a top speed of 170 mph for the RS, as compared to 169mph in a standard Boxster S and Limited Boxster S.
vincesf

blkboxster 11-27-2007 02:36 PM

i wonder why? Did the Boxster 0-60 time change?

EE3racing 11-27-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincesf
Today (probably as a result of the introduction of the Boxster S RS), I noticed on the Porsche USA site that Porsche downgraded their 0-60 time on the Boxster S from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds to 5.2 seconds (yes, 2 days ago it was 5.1 seconds). They did however forget to change the Limited Boxster S time of 5.1 seconds for 0-60. Let's see if they change that in a day or two as well. Are they quoting 5.1 seconds for the newly introduced RS version, and trying to distinguish what 8 additional hp can do against the standard Boxster S? Did they not want to print 4.9 seconds as it would intrude on Carrera territory? Or did the Boxster S actually get slower? Let's face facts, the standard Boxster S can do 0-60 under 5 seconds, but again Porsche does not want to damage the reputation of their sacred cow 911. They are claiming a top speed of 170 mph for the RS, as compared to 169mph in a standard Boxster S and Limited Boxster S.
vincesf

Limited?? That's a good one, you mean the 04, 07 or now looks like 08 limited? Porsche is taking advantage of the customer's perception of limited edition = future bank account. In reality, sadly, Porsche has taken a page from American manufacturer's play book by making pseudo "special editions" with styling cues changed but no real performance difference, like a Chevy Cobalt with a trunk spoiler, wooooo now I'm scared for real...

baseball 11-27-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xusmnimij
Limited?? That's a good one, you mean the 04, 07 or now looks like 08 limited? Porsche is taking advantage of the customer's perception of limited edition = future bank account. In reality, sadly, Porsche has taken a page from American manufacturer's play book by making pseudo "special editions" with styling cues changed but no real performance difference, like a Chevy Cobalt with a trunk spoiler, wooooo now I'm scared for real...

I agree, at this point the special editions are feeling a little gimmicky.

humara 11-28-2007 07:03 AM

i think mazda still takes the cake with the gimmicky special editions on the miata.
they've had non-special editions for 15 years now. different color this, different looking that, same engine. except for the 1999 10th anniversary edition which at least had a 6 speed that wasn't available otherwise. (until 2000 when they made the 6 speed less special).
but back to porsche land, yes, this is gimmicky and lame. generally leads me to believe that the next gen boxster is right around the corner

Bambino Don 11-28-2007 07:33 AM

I think as above with regards too the fear of the 911 territory being broken into by the ''poor mans porsche''

The special edition is all bells and whistles and no Base guitar if you know what i mean.

Time Porsche sort it out,

GIVE US A 3.8 BOXSTER WITH GT3 HANDLING. :)

James