Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

new car

ok so this isn't really Porsche related but just wanted some opinions.
my sister has been wanting a mini cooper for a while now, so for xmas me and my bro decided to split the bill and get her one. im not really familiar with the car all that much so if anyone has had any experience owning a mini or knows about them do give me some info...also, are there any good mods out there for me cuz were planning on getin the car and doing some mods before we give it to her at xmas...which gives me about 2 weeks extra cuz my family celebrates xmas in January haha
we'll probably be getting a cooper s, for some extra horses, 2004/2005 in red...
any feedback would be appreciated

thx in advance

xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I dont know much about Mini's except that the S is better and supercharged... You are some good brothers to buy a sister a car!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #3

haha yea thst's pretty much all i know as well lol and yea my family really close so were crazy enough to do this for each other hahah
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #4

I had a 2006 Cooper S Convertible, and my suggestion would be to go for a 2005 Cooper S, as small changes in in trim and mechanicals make it a slightly better driver than a 2004. If your budget doesn't warrant it, the 2004 is still a solid car.
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #5

I have driven the S and the standard one. Big difference.
But even the standard mini was still on my top 10 list of sports cars.
You just have to work it a little more. In some ways its more fun to drive than my BoxsterS. The short wheel base make it a fast pivot, just like a go kart. The shifting reminded me of what I like about the miata. You can become a very good driver with this car.
Both the mini and mini S are excellent to drive imho, I'll take a mini over a standard Mustang or similar any day of the week.
and If you get the John Cooper Works package you won't need to mod a thing.

whatever you do, don't get the convertible. .
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-27-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #6

I test drove a 2005 Mini Cooper S for about 45 minutes. Absolute Hoot. 6speed manual. Sports suspension. Rocked! I did 2-3 trips through a highway cloverleaf and just played with the trottle to get the car to rotate. Lots of fun. A bit "buzzy" at higway speeds, but it is a 1.6l so, give it a break!

Not sure how old your sis is or how much insurance might run for an S, but it took my "better half" to convince me that 2 car seats would be easier to access in a sedan and not a tiny hatch, or I would have bought one
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
bmussatti

xalex, you are a very nice brother!

I don't know too much about the Mini's, but I did see a lot of them in my rear view mirror on the Tail of the Dragon!

Here is a picture of a few of the Mini drivers drinking beer:

Last edited by bmussatti; 11-27-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
xalex, you are a very nice brother!

I don't know too much about the Mini's, but I did see a lot of them in my rear view mirror on the Tail of the Dragon!

Here is a picture of a few of the Mini drivers drinking beer:
Lol, you always have a funny picture to show

Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My sister has an '02 Mini. It is great car, very fun to drive. I drove the first two weeks I had the Boxster, because it was in the shop. It is not on the same level as the Boxster, but is a great car. I almost bought myself an MCS. I know quite a lot about them if you have any specific questions. The maintenance is not that bad, but there not as easy to work on as the Boxster. Very safe, and they handle like a Go-Cart, (but in comparison to the Box. I almost feel as if I'm in an SUV). I would also check out northamericanmotoring.com. There is a lot of great info on that site.
The Mini just has a fun atmosphere.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #10

I have never driven one, but always liked them. This one seems like a special deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-MINI-COOPER-S-17K-MILES_W0QQitemZ110193491985QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1070 09QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #11

thx guys,
so my bro looked some stuff up and we found a good deal 2004s, with 30,000 miles in red and we got it down to 14,400 so thats the best for now, im hoping to get the car by monday and get some black wheels, tint the windows, change the headlight stuff like that just get a little black/red thing going for her.
as far as insurance shes 25 and being a female i think she wont have any problems
thanks a lot guys for the posts and keep it coming if u find some cool mods i should do or nice black rims i should get, i was thinking 18s and maybe lower it a bit althoughtit would be her daily driver so i dunno if i should

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #12

I had a set of autocross wheels 16" Flik's that were barely 14 pounds on my old Miata. Five spokers in gun metal, car handled great with these.
A guy with a red mini cooper S ended up buying them and they looked better on his car than mine. I don't think you want to weigh down that supercharger with 20 pound wheels.

These are the wheels

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2547450

this is the site I picked them up.
http://www.edgeracing.com/wheels/flik/
Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyakiro
What headlight change are you thinking of?

Red/black is a great colour combo, especially if you get the aero kit (the black mesh grill would really set it off)
I was just thinking of painting all of the chrome parts black and getting a black mesh girll like you suggested...as far as the headlights, I was thinking maybe just to tint them (bake them a little) and paint the chrome around them black- so nothing major.
And as far as the 18" wheels you guys might be right, those 16" Perfectlap posted look pretty good.

-Henry Morgan
Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would not put 18" rims on it. Mini's handle best on 16" rims. Also, since it is your sister's car, I would mod it based on here style, not yours. I don't know what she is into, but I wouldn't do anything she wouldn't like.
I know my sister would prefer some tweety bird eye decals under the hood (the headlight are built into the hood so there is a space for eye shaped decals, google it), instead of tinted windows. Also, if you can track one down on eBay the, "Mini Unofficial Owner's Manual," printed by Mini, is great for a few laughs.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #15

its not so much the size of the wheel as much as the weight.
Reducing 5 pounds at each corner on such a small car and engine will make a huge difference.

My old miata originally had I think 14" wheels, with hollow spokes. I went for cooler looking but heavier 16" BBS RK's and the difference was night and day. THe car was allot less nimble and direct. Once I mounted the lighter autocross wheels it was back to its old self.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #16

well i am modding it or will be based on her taste, i really hate black wheels on a car but she loves them so ill put them on for her. we're kind of a car fanatic family so shes not ur average girl who doesn't know anything about cars, sad to say but she might even know more about some cars then i do. as far as the wheels go she actually has a car she takes to the track and autocross so this would be a "cool" daily driver. since she doesn't really like driving her other car around town and parallel parking it so Im pretty sure she would prefer the car to look nice over a difference in a few lbs in this case, so im still debating on some nice rims.

-Henry Morgan
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Mini's are great for parallel parking and as a DD they average 30+ mpg, so it is smart move. The rims are up to you, depending on what is on the car you could just paint them or get them powder coated.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #18

While were at it, does anyone want to buy me one?

I'm surprised (and maybe a little concerned) about how much folks on this forum know about the Mini... I would like to drive one sometime.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #19
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There fun cars, and worth test driving. I only know a lot about them because I was planning on getting one until I saw my Boxster.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #20

If you attend any autocross or track event anywhere in the country, you'll see the same 7 or 8 cars. The mini is one of those regulars. It's a true sports car with a long history.