Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #1

Boxster S ownership after the 1st year

It's been a year that I have owned my Boxster and here are some of my thoughts on the car.

Car:
2000 Boxster S. Purchased with 38,000 miles. Currently has 40,000 miles.

Repairs/Maintenance:
Passenger window regulator went out. Part was ~200.00 from the dealership and I installed the part myself (start to finish in about an hour),
Oil Change. ~50.00 in synthetic oil and 10.00 for a filter at the dealer. Work done by me in about an hour.
Rear plastic window cracked. My fault, I lowered the window last winter on one of the few cold days in Florida. New window sewn in at a local shop for $240.00 (after tax.)
No misc. leaks or other problems.

Modifications:
I'm not real big on mods. IPOD adapter and re-did a few trim piece in leather is about all I have done. The only thing I plan on doing in the future is repainting a few trim pieces and the seat backs. Edit: also picked up a spare set of wheels with Avon Comp Rs for Auto-Xs.

Driving Impression:
I love this car! With the top up, it's as smooth and comfortable as my BMW (although not as quiet) yet it handles like no other car I have ever driven. A very completive friend with a 944 turbo will no longer go to Auto-Xs with me because he doesn't stand a chance of beating me (I already had him by .5 seconds in my 911SC.) Although it doesn't have quite the "soul" of the 911SC, it does everything better to the point that I hardly ever drive it anymore (I doubt I have put over 100 miles on the 911SC since getting the Boxster.) IMO this car has no compromises.

I have spent ~ $600.00 in maint/repairs (window regulator, oil change, and rear window - although that was my fault) which I don't think is too bad for a 7 year old car. This car has exceeded all my expectations and I have no regrets with my purchase.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
bmussatti

Rob, hare are some of my thoughts about you owning this Boxster for the first year.

1) You need to drive MORE!

Come on, 2,000 miles. You can do better than that.

Your poor 911 SC, all dressed up and nowhere to go. Very nice car!
Old 11-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #3

I have had my base 2000 Boxster for a year and a half, and we will not discuss how much I have spent on it. But it looks like I have put 25,000 miles on it in the year and a half that I have owned it, to me it is not just a car, it is an experinece.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Rob, hare are some of my thoughts about you owning this Boxster for the first year.

1) You need to drive MORE!

Come on, 2,000 miles. You can do better than that.

Your poor 911 SC, all dressed up and nowhere to go. Very nice car!
I just don't drive that much. My DD is my BMW and I only drive it about 9,000mi/year. After that I have 3 "toy" cars that share about 3,500/year. We also do off road events in the wife's LR Disco (it gets driven about 8,000/year.

We live almost dead center in the middle of Tampa and don't really have a need to drive that much.

I do feel bad about the 911 but as I get older, I realize I like being coddled. Great handling AND comfort, ergonmoically correct, AC that works, and power everything is just too much for the 911 to compete against. The wife has been bugging me to sell the 911 but I have been dragging my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
...to me it is not just a car, it is an experinece.

Ed
I agree 100%. That is why I just smile when I get comments like "poor man's Porsche" or "chick's car." Foolish statements from people who just don't know.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #5

Hey Rob-

I agree with BMussati, time to drive what you love more!

I don't get to drive mine much also as I usually take the company mini-van around town with the family (free gas, don't care if it gets dinged in parking lots, etc) but I covet my 986 time also.

I'd be interested in details on the SC if you get serious about selling it as I am starting to look around and decide to either get an older 911 (preferably 87-89) or trade in the 986 and go for a Cayman S.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
bmussatti

Rob, how many miles on your 911 SC? Are you the original owner?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #7

I love my 2000 Boxster S too. Bought mine when I lived in Southern California in April 2004 with 23,284 miles on it. It was in absolute pristine like brand new condition and I've kept her that way. It just turned over to 39,200ish about two weeks ago. Haven't driven it in two weeks due to the rainy crapy NY weather. It's not my DD so it sits in the garage all winter except for on sunny dry days. It's been a great car. Only problem I've had so far was a bad wheel bearing at around 33,000 miles. Cost about $400 to replace at the Porsche thieves. It is a pleasure to drive.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #8

I've owned my'02 S for almost two years. Pleasure driven only, it arrived with 8200 miles on the clock; I've since added another 4k miles. As far as maintenance, only oil changes. I have, however, installed an Evo Hi Flow intake, H&R sport springs, B&M shifter and a sport muffler, just to name a few. I've also recently purchased a pair of secondary cat bypass pipes from a member of this board. These are wonderful cars, that coming from a tried and true 911 guy (I still have my '73 RS clone).
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #9

I bought my 2000 S last May and have already put 8,000 miles on it. I originally planned to put it away over the winter, but I just... can't. I go a week without driving it and I get all twitchy.

No real problems with it, though. I replaced the summer tires, then bought all-seasons for the winter (so now I'm going to have to spring for another set of wheels), and did an oil change.

Once in awhile - though not always - after I've driven it I smell hot oil. It doesn't drip oil, and my oil level has not dropped significantly since I did the oil change in May. The engine temp runs normal. But one of these days I'll have to figure out how to access the engine from above and see if I can figure out where that smell is coming from.

I love this car. I love driving it. I even love waxing it. Just looking at it makes my heart go pitter-patter.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.

Last edited by OldBlevins; 11-26-2007 at 02:05 PM.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #10

i dont think anyone can walk away from a Porsche and say they regret getting it
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #11

Thanks for sharing your experience of your 1st year of ownership, and I would say it would be consistent with my first year of ownership, as I too would sum it up as exceeding my expectations. I also sold my 2006 Boxster S, after one year of ownership and have regretted my decision ever since, especially when you compare it to my later cars such as a 2006 Lotus Elise and 2007 Honda S2000. As expensive as the Boxster is, it is more than worth it, and in my case, I appreciate the car even more after selling it. Of course, I am doing my best to remedy that situation...
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #12

I'm on board with you guys, I've just passed my first year of ownership. I bought my 02 S with 39k and now it has 52. I just don't want to stop driving it because it's so much fun. I love driving it, listening to it, seeing it, washing it, talking about it, everything. Who knew it would be so great?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #13
FTD

Quote from OldBlevins:
"Once in awhile - though not always - after I've driven it I smell hot oil. It doesn't drip oil, and my oil level has not dropped significantly since I did the oil change in May. The engine temp runs normal. But one of these days I'll have to figure out how to access the engine from above and see if I can figure out where that smell is coming from."

I have similar symptom and would like to know what you find. I would like to know where to start looking to troubleshoot. :dance:

As far as first year of ownership, I have had my 2004 for almost 1.5 years. Two oil changes, brake flush and tires have been my maintenance. It has had some warranty work, the worse of which is a new headliner and now the top creaks like crazy.

I have enjoyed about 8000 miles of FUN, several autocrosses, and a day at TGPR [Little Talladegha]. I bought some track wheels and look forward to burning through some tires in 2008.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by funster
I'm on board with you guys, I've just passed my first year of ownership. I bought my 02 S with 39k and now it has 52. I just don't want to stop driving it because it's so much fun. I love driving it, listening to it, seeing it, washing it, talking about it, everything. Who knew it would be so great?

+1. I just passed my 1 year of ownership. 2002 986S bought with 34k now has 45k. I love driving it.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote