Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #21
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
Can you elaborate on how you do bleed the clutch then TP? I am doing this soon and need all assistence.
Tony, a little OT here, but on the 987 the brake fluid and the clutch fluid are a shared system, so both get done at the same time. Not sure about the 986 Boxster.

I just had mine done last month. The dealership charged about $150.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
For a normal brake fluid change you do not need a PST2 if you have traction control or PSM. You do need it however if you are changing the fluid because those components have been replaced.
I did my research on this particular relationship and found similar statements. Unless one is also replacing master cylinder or other major component thank you for your confirmation. I am back to saving $150.00!

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Tony, a little OT here, but on the 987 the brake fluid and the clutch fluid are a shared system, so both get done at the same time. Not sure about the 986 Boxster.
Same on a 986. The clutch bleed valve can be difficult to locate the first time ... blinkwatt posted a very helpful photo.

http://986forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=96781&postcount=14
Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #24
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I did my research on this particular relationship and found similar statements. Unless one is also replacing master cylinder or other major component thank you for your confirmation. I am back to saving $150.00!

FTD, of course you will save $150 minus the true value of your time, therefore somewhat significantly less than $150! Satisfaction for sure. I understand that.

I only say this because people usually forget the value of their time when doing DIY projects.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #25
EE3racing

Thanks guys, I'm aware of the shared system, I was specifically asking this: If you don't hold the clutch pedal down during bleed, what do you do? Is it pumped till one is sure new fluid exits the clutch bleeder? I have a saved pic of where it is, when I'm done with the styling mods currently underway, I'll be purchasing a motive and working on the brakes & clutch.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
I only say this because people usually forget the value of their time when doing DIY projects.
I can't agree with that more!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #27

With a motive you do not need to hold the clutch pedal down. The air pressure from the motive will force the fluid through the clutch circuit and out the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #28
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
With a motive you do not need to hold the clutch pedal down. The air pressure from the motive will force the fluid through the clutch circuit and out the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.

Thanks Tool Pants, is there any negatives to replacing my brake lines with stainless braided? When I do, can I clamp off the old ones and totally remove the calipers for painting?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #29
FTD

Quote:
FTD, of course you will save $150 minus the true value of your time, therefore somewhat significantly less than $150! Satisfaction for sure. I understand that.

A very good and important point. Thanks!!

My time is worth money. A frequent consideration in all things - home maintenance, car maintenance, you name it. Some things are fun, some things are a chore, and some things are just out of my league. I think a brake flush is an OK chore, especially with a helping hand to speed things along. Replacing clutch parts is misery and worth paying someone else.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote