Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #1

Uniden Police scanner - Boxster 2002

Hi
I am looking into buying a police scanner. I have a great radar detector but i feel that a police scanner could add to the "no ticket" factor...

Uniden seems to have a lot of different scanners. Basically you choose from portable scanners or base versions. I was looking for a more permanent solution like a base scanner f.e http://www.xtremedeal4u.zoovy.com/product/BCT8/Uniden_BCT8_Police_Scanner_TrunkTracker_IIIBCT8_Po lice_Scanner.html
Now, here is the question. I was thinking of building this into my porsche boxster 2002. Removing the CD storage (which i never use), does anyone have experience building scanners or ham radio type equipement into a porsche ?
From a dimension standpoint this would work great : opening in porsche is 7.28" width X 2.36 " high. The scanner's dimensions are slightly smaller.
i wanted to create a clean build-in : f.e power : use permanent power DC connection to the fuse box and grounding to body.

Anyone done this before or am i the only fast driver on the block?

Thanks for your input !

Last edited by bartman; 11-26-2007 at 10:32 AM.
bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
Hi
I am looking into buying a police scanner. I have a great radar detector but i feel that a police scanner could add to the "no ticket" factor...

Now, here is the question. I was thinking of building this into my porsche boxster 2002.
Just be aware that installing a scanner into a motor vehicle is illegal in many states. You'll need to check in yours.

Also, if a police officer does stop you and sees the scanner, he will assume (correctly) that you are using it to skirt the law. It will definitely add to the "may get dragged out of your car and end up face-first on the pavement" factor.

Last edited by JackG; 11-26-2007 at 01:18 PM.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

I have monitored scanners off and on for over 30 years. From my experience, using a mobile scanner to monitor possible radar locations is a waste of time. Most modern radio systems use digital communications which require more expensive scanners. Also much of the communications from base to mobile and mobile to mobile is done by computer and all you will hear is "squwaak" and it will be all over.
In addition, I don't know if Troy is a suburb of a large city but you can travel through several different police jurisdictions in one short trip.
Fiddling with your scanner frequencies while driving at high speed can lead to bigger problems than worrying about the police :-))).

Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't know much about a scanner but it sounds like there illegal in most states. But if you are going to hardwire one in, use the phone connector under the center console, running power to the fuse box is a waste of time with a hookup right there.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #5

These guys are right. A scanner will be of no real benefit. First, a cop running radar is usually not talking on the radio. Second, even if he was talking on the radio, he doesn't repeatedly call out his location, so you wouldn't be able to to determine where he was anyway. Third, in a metropolitan area, you could have a number of different jurisdictions working the same area, but on different channels. Fourth, there can be a great number of Officers working off of one frequency, and using 10 codes and signals to communicate. How would you interpret that? Fifth, there's a good chance that running a scanner in your car is illegal. And sixth, if you hear Officers talking about a Porsche Boxster...it's too late.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #6

Radar + scanner

Hi Guys !
Thanks for the many responses !
I initially got the idea from reading an article in wired magazine : a guy (Alex Roy) who broke the cannonball record crossing America from east coast to west coast in under 32 hours and 7 minutes : floor it ! : check it out : link to article
Roy drove an E39 BMW M5 (hoo-ha!) equipped with:
"Randolph highway patrol sunglasses, 20-gallon reserve fuel tank, Tasco 8 x 40 binoculars fitted with a Kenyon KS-2 gyro stabilizer, military spec Steiner 7 x 50 binoculars, Hummer H1-style bumper-mounted L-3 Raytheon Night Driver thermal camera and LCD dashboard screens, front-and-rear-mounted sensors for a Valentine One radar/laser detector, flush bumper-mount Blinder M40 laser jammers, redundant Garmin Street Pilot 2650 GPS units, preprogrammed Uniden police radio scanners, ceiling-mount Uniden CB radio with high-gain whip antenna. Check. Check. Check."

Not that i need all that stuff but not getting caught doing 110 mph going to work in the morning is kind of important... I have about a 30 minute commute and notice 1 or 2 highway cops on a regular basis. Over the years I’ve come to know their "hiding spots" but last week one of them almost got me. I was doing about 95 mph left lane (3 lanes) with a silly pt cruiser in the middle lane trying to pass me - hahaha! - As we came up the hill I saw him go to the right lane. I remembered a cop being over the hill on several occasions and as I went to the middle lane and took my foot off the gas I saw him out of the car (left lane side)- aiming the laser ! - I went slightly on the brakes bringing me back to 70 mph. Max is 65 mph - cop didn't move. This is BEFORE I got my radar detector. So I got away clean.

After reading that article I was thinking about adding the Scanner; 1. You can listen in on truckers who will mention the location of the cops. 2 . you can overhear "speeding cars" being called-in 3. you can hear the trunk signal from cops leaving their car. The car signals the officer and creates a "link" between the officer and car - that signal can be intercepted.

OK: i can't afford buying a digital $500 scanner... - I guess I’ll keep dreaming of night vision sensors, IR force fields, heat sensors and all those other gizmo's I can't afford anyway now the only thing I need is a co-pilot that can spot a cop on an overpass with the engine idling and laser ready (like those cops in Vandalia Ohio, always do).

Ciao
BartMan

ps : rick3000 : when you mention phone connector under the central console, could you elaborate on how to access that? Thanks !
bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
Hi Guys !
Thanks for the many responses !
I initially got the idea from reading an article in wired magazine : a guy (Alex Roy) who broke the cannonball record crossing America from east coast to west coast in under 32 hours and 7 minutes : floor it ! : check it out : link to article
Roy drove an E39 BMW M5 (hoo-ha!) equipped with:
"Randolph highway patrol sunglasses, 20-gallon reserve fuel tank, Tasco 8 x 40 binoculars fitted with a Kenyon KS-2 gyro stabilizer, military spec Steiner 7 x 50 binoculars, Hummer H1-style bumper-mounted L-3 Raytheon Night Driver thermal camera and LCD dashboard screens, front-and-rear-mounted sensors for a Valentine One radar/laser detector, flush bumper-mount Blinder M40 laser jammers, redundant Garmin Street Pilot 2650 GPS units, preprogrammed Uniden police radio scanners, ceiling-mount Uniden CB radio with high-gain whip antenna. Check. Check. Check."

Not that i need all that stuff but not getting caught doing 110 mph going to work in the morning is kind of important... I have about a 30 minute commute and notice 1 or 2 highway cops on a regular basis. Over the years I’ve come to know their "hiding spots" but last week one of them almost got me. I was doing about 95 mph left lane (3 lanes) with a silly pt cruiser in the middle lane trying to pass me - hahaha! - As we came up the hill I saw him go to the right lane. I remembered a cop being over the hill on several occasions and as I went to the middle lane and took my foot off the gas I saw him out of the car (left lane side)- aiming the laser ! - I went slightly on the brakes bringing me back to 70 mph. Max is 65 mph - cop didn't move. This is BEFORE I got my radar detector. So I got away clean.

After reading that article I was thinking about adding the Scanner; 1. You can listen in on truckers who will mention the location of the cops. 2 . you can overhear "speeding cars" being called-in 3. you can hear the trunk signal from cops leaving their car. The car signals the officer and creates a "link" between the officer and car - that signal can be intercepted.

OK: i can't afford buying a digital $500 scanner... - I guess I’ll keep dreaming of night vision sensors, IR force fields, heat sensors and all those other gizmo's I can't afford anyway now the only thing I need is a co-pilot that can spot a cop on an overpass with the engine idling and laser ready (like those cops in Vandalia Ohio, always do).

Ciao
BartMan

ps : rick3000 : when you mention phone connector under the central console, could you elaborate on how to access that? Thanks !
How about it if you slow down, save on tickets, gas, tires etc. and possibly save someone else's life?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #8

If this thread is about how to evade the law while driving at triple digit speeds, I will delete it in a heartbeat.

Save someone's life, SLOW DOWN>\

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree, it is one thing to do 110mph at 3AM when no one is on the roads or better yet on the track, but doing 110mph around traffic is just reckless. My advice would be to slow down, that way you'll avoid being arrested for speeding, and have your Porsche towed and impounded.

Also, if you search here or on renntech for the phone power connector there is a lot of info on it.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
blkboxster

how about you go to the track when you want to speed?