Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #41

To the OP: I'm glad you got it sorted out. But since this is your wife's car, I suggest parting with it asap namely to prevent any worrying on her part.

I plan on getting a new Boxster soon. Engine failure doesn't particularly worry me, as the driving experience it offers is absolutely unparalleled (at least in that brief test drive it did).

My two burning questions are:

Which dealers in the Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware area do you guys recommend?

What exactly constitutes as abuse?

I drive my cars hard though I take very good care of them (slightly more regular oil changes, premium gasoline [you'd be surprised at how many people fill up regular in cars that require premium), timely replacement of any necessary parts etc).

I've heard BMW owners that have two keys, using one to drive, and one to give to the dealer upon servicing (as the information about driving habits is recorded on the keys).

Does it work like that for Porsche?

sp330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 AM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randijo
Today, after 18 days, we finally got to drive our Porsche home. I wouldn't recommend this dealership to anyone.
Tough because our original emotions for buying a Porsche were personal, I at least tend to get "attached" to my Boxster, so, when I have to give it up for service, I take to results of that service personally. Service departments move cars in and out like herding cattle, none of the cars look any different then the one before it. Get 'em in, get 'em out, it's a numbers game. I've had some bad experiences too, I've wanted to throw s**t across the counter for the "failed stink factor" advice and for the overpriced work performed. Interesting enough, I've reflected back after cooling off thinking that maybe I jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly. Hopefully you'll be able to look back and feel better that you got you car back as good (or better) than before. Good Luck!

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:18 AM   #43

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Contrast story.

I have a Lexus I bought used recently. I had some concerns and took it in for a diagnostic. The car is way out of warranty but I know the guys at the dealership and they serviced this car since it was new.

They spent a couple of hours on the car, told me it was finde gave me a Lexus loaner for the day. Got a nice free latte in their lounge, valet guys washed my car when they gave it back to me.

They charged me zero and thanked me for my business.

That is customer service and I am a customer for life because of it.

The Boxster is a car deserving of a better dealer network and manufacturer.

IMHO.

I am treated at Aberdeen Porsche the same way you were treated at Lexus, but i got to watch a cdvd regarding the Carrera gt getting built so i win.

Ive had two visits where money hasnt changed hands and ive had a result.

i ask them not to wash my car though.

The reason must be population, we have a smaller population which even though we are very expensive to live in aberdeen and there are loads of porsches, there cant be too great a demand on OPC here.

James
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp330
To the OP: I'm glad you got it sorted out. But since this is your wife's car, I suggest parting with it asap namely to prevent any worrying on her part.

I plan on getting a new Boxster soon. Engine failure doesn't particularly worry me, as the driving experience it offers is absolutely unparalleled (at least in that brief test drive it did).

My two burning questions are:

Which dealers in the Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware area do you guys recommend?

What exactly constitutes as abuse?

I drive my cars hard though I take very good care of them (slightly more regular oil changes, premium gasoline [you'd be surprised at how many people fill up regular in cars that require premium), timely replacement of any necessary parts etc).

I've heard BMW owners that have two keys, using one to drive, and one to give to the dealer upon servicing (as the information about driving habits is recorded on the keys).

Does it work like that for Porsche?
i have had very good dealings with Newton motorsports, the service manager (Brian Carter) has taken good care of me, they are a small dealer...but they do alot of porsche work
The driving habits are definetly stored in the computer, not the key
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #45

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think 18 days is out of line at all for a complete engine replacement. It's not like they have rebuilt boxster engines just sitting there at the dealer just ready to install. They have to special order these...probably from Germany and then install it. Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't take longer to get the car back. I think somebody needs a reality check.

Last edited by Adam; 11-29-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think 18 days is out of line at all for a complete engine replacement. It's not like they have rebuilt boxster engines just sitting there at the dealer just ready to install. They have to special order these...probably from Germany and then install it. Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't take longer to get the car back. I think somebody needs a reality check.
It took the dealership 10 days just to determine what was wrong and get Porsche to OK an engine replacement. The service manager told us the engine "was available", whatever that means. It only took 6 more days to get the engine and install it. That 6 days included 4 days the service department was closed for the Thanksgiving weekend. It then took 2 more days to fix the damage they did to the paint.

Optimum service would have been 1 day to figure out what was wrong, 1 day to get the OK from Porsche for engine replacement, 2 days to procure the engine and install it. 4 days altogether.
randijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #47
EE3racing

Quote:
It took the dealership 10 days just to determine what was wrong and get Porsche to OK an engine replacement. The service manager told us the engine "was available", whatever that means. It only took 6 more days to get the engine and install it. That 6 days included 4 days the service department was closed for the Thanksgiving weekend. It then took 2 more days to fix the damage they did to the paint.

Optimum service would have been 1 day to figure out what was wrong, 1 day to get the OK from Porsche for engine replacement, 2 days to procure the engine and install it. 4 days altogether.

And a sweet demo to use during the interval.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #48

Randijo,

Is your wife "Lou" from your other post?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
And a sweet demo to use during the interval.
I forgot to mention that after keeping our car for 16 days and admitting they had scratched up the paint, the dealership finally offered us a loaner. They offered us an Enterprise rental car.
We bought a Porsche because we wanted to drive a Porsche! If we wanted to drive a basic econobox, we would have bought one in the first place. We did without the rental car.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Randijo,

Is your wife "Lou" from your other post?
Actually, I am Lou, and my wife is Randi Jo. It's confusing because we share the same forum username.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Actually, I am Lou, and my wife is Randi Jo. It's confusing because we share the same forum username.
That's what I figured - so is your faith in the car restored after getting to enjoy the drive again?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did they tell you what caused the old engine to fail?

How much was the replacement work? I think prices are on the invoice.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #53
EE3racing

Quote:
I forgot to mention that after keeping our car for 16 days and admitting they had scratched up the paint, the dealership finally offered us a loaner. They offered us an Enterprise rental car.
We bought a Porsche because we wanted to drive a Porsche! If we wanted to drive a basic econobox, we would have bought one in the first place. We did without the rental car.

That's discouraging to read, as I said before, Porsche needs to exert more authoritay on their dealer channel.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Did they tell you what caused the old engine to fail?

How much was the replacement work? I think prices are on the invoice.
The old engine developed a hole in one of the valve lifters. I think the cost of the repair was about $10K.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #55
bmussatti

Randijo, make sure you properly break-in the new engine. I would also change the oil at about 1,000 miles.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Randijo, make sure you properly break-in the new engine. I would also change the oil at about 1,000 miles.
Why does the oil need to be changed at 1000 miles?

We generally follow the maintenance schedule from Porsche which for our year says to change the oil at 2 years or 20,000 miles. Are we making a mistake?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #57
bmussatti

Quote:
Why does the oil need to be changed at 1000 miles?

We generally follow the maintenance schedule from Porsche which for our year says to change the oil at 2 years or 20,000 miles. Are we making a mistake?
Do you own or lease? If you own, I would change the oil at 1,000 miles. Just my opinion. Worth the $150.

If you liked the engine changing experience, just change oil every 20,000 miles. You should change the oil between 7-10K miles or at least once per year prior to winter storage.

Did you follow proper engine break-in with your first motor?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #58

How often to change oil???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Do you own or lease? If you own, I would change the oil at 1,000 miles. Just my opinion. Worth the $150.

If you liked the engine changing experience, just change oil every 20,000 miles. You should change the oil between 7-10K miles or at least once per year prior to winter storage.

Did you follow proper engine break-in with your first motor?
No lease. We own it.
We followed proper break in procedure on the first engine and we are braking in the new one the same way. We keep the RPMs under 4000, no full throttle starts, and try to vary the speed for the first 2000 miles.
The old engine only had 12000 miles on it after a year and a half. According to the maintenance schedule it wasn't yet due for an oil change. Do you really think changing the oil once a year will prevent engine failure?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #59
blkboxster

Do you really think changing the oil once a year will prevent engine failure?[/QUOTE]

It wouldnt hurt to do it.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #60
bmussatti

Quote:
No lease. We own it.
We followed proper break in procedure on the first engine and we are braking in the new one the same way. We keep the RPMs under 4000, no full throttle starts, and try to vary the speed for the first 2000 miles.
The old engine only had 12000 miles on it after a year and a half. According to the maintenance schedule it wasn't yet due for an oil change. Do you really think changing the oil once a year will prevent engine failure?
Randijo, good job on doing the proper engine break-in. Not an easy thing to do. Requires great patience! Must be even harder with the second engine, partly because you know what the car is capable of doing, and are more accomplished at driving it.

You should have changed the oil prior to last winter's storage. Did this cause your engine failure? I doubt it.

Let say you are going to keep the car 10 years. And you change the oil yearly. Will this "prevent engine failure"? In a nut-shell...yes. Could something else be the cause (IMS)...sure. If you changed the oil once in 10 years...would the engine fail...my money says yes. What if you change twice? How about 3 times? What is the level of risk you are comfortable with?

Changing oil is cheap insurance. Even cheaper for the many great DIY'ers on this Forum.

Don't forget, Randijo, the oil in our cars does about 40% lubrication and 60% cooling.