Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #1

Hello everyone!

Hey guys,
I'm from SoCal and I'm wanting to get a Boxster soon. Are these deals too good to be true?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=25&address=90069&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=POR&model=BOXSTE&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2008&min_price=&max_price=20000&transmission=Automatic&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceASC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=y&default_sort=priceASC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=1195683440593
They have five Boxsters listed under 16k. Would these ones still be okay or is something probably wrong with them? I want to get opinions from the guys and gals who know these cars the best. What would you say your avg mpg is also? Also please don't slam me but I am getting a automatic. In SoCal traffic you need it.

aj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #2

Those are some high mileage cars, so the price doesn't seem too far off base.
Go to kbb.com and check out the private party value of those specific cars as a reference.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #3

Well.. they are getting old, and higher in mileage. '97-99 cars will be the cheapest, then 2000-2002 will be a little more $$ and then 2003-2004 the most expensive. Porsche made a host of improvement for 2000 and 2003. Realize that the first ones are now 10 years old and only getting older. I would encourage looking for a 2000 or newer, unless you are turning it into a BoxsterSpec racer

Be sure to budget 10-15% of price for "incidentals" and perhaps overlooked maintenance. Read the board... lots of potential problems, but great fun to drive!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Well.. they are getting old, and higher in mileage. '97-99 cars will be the cheapest, then 2000-2002 will be a little more $$ and then 2003-2004 the most expensive. Porsche made a host of improvement for 2000 and 2003. Realize that the first ones are now 10 years old and only getting older. I would encourage looking for a 2000 or newer, unless you are turning it into a BoxsterSpec racer

Be sure to budget 10-15% of price for "incidentals" and perhaps overlooked maintenance. Read the board... lots of potential problems, but great fun to drive!
Okay I definitely will.
aj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #5

Hi, I think you could throw a dart at that list and hit a winner (throw again if it's the wrong color)! I think the question is " Is the Boxster to good to be true?"

I mean, thats pretty much what I did. Went to a huge dealer auction in riverside and bid on boxsters as they rolled through every few minutes, up to my limit, couple of dozen boxsters later the guy is pointing at me when he says "SOLD! $16.2k" (limit was 17k for that day. And that was the day I was getting one.)

Now I have a beautiful '99 Arctic Silver w/Boxster Red full leather, tiptronic, cd chgr, heated seats, etc. Only 64k then, I've done 10k since april! was one owner, full service records, manuals and more. Only two problems minor, transmission cooling valve $600, (towing: Baker to Vegas $375 OUCH!) and an air change over valve, $250 and I did get new tires in the summer. I think brakes will be next DIY project.

So my point is, I'm driving the best funnest sweetest car I have ever owned of 2 dz. or more over 30yrs or so of which some of them were new cars even, and driving home from golf (clubs fit in trunk!!)w/top down tuesday it's 80 out in SFV heavy metal on cd and heavy metal in my foot, and I'm thinking ... dang, I'm glad I didn't wait until almost Christmas to get it! So toss a dart or two!!!!!!! Or.... take a few days, check them out and get the one you will love.

ps. the auto is great for the traffic and I get 21mpg and my wife gets 22mpg in it.
and put up pix when you get it.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007
They have five Boxsters listed under 16k. Would these ones still be okay or is something probably wrong with them? I want to get opinions from the guys and gals who know these cars the best. What would you say your avg mpg is also? Also please don't slam me but I am getting a automatic. In SoCal traffic you need it.
Most older boxsters are hitting rock bottom prices. 97-98 12-14K seems pretty standard. Also price out with edmunds TMV pricing and compare to KBB, I always feel KBB highballs. Also confirm prices with everyone here, there seems to be a decent pulse on what is fair and what isnt. You may also want to check out cars.com and see what going rates are.

Older boxsters are very inexpensive and will most probably require some TLC, but unless you have a total lemon or some catastrpohic failure its totally worth it . Many people here have older boxsters and everything is fine.

I drive a 2001 tip and I can get 27-27.5 on the highway and I am confident I could crack 28 if I drove at 65. I can get about 25 driving a mix of mainly rural roads and some "city". Gas mileage is ighly variable based on how you drive, but if you are gently you'll exceed mfg's MPG ratings.

Nothing wring with getting at tip I can certainly understand the need for one in any high traffic area. Steering wheel shifters rock!

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote