986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Running awful (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14276)

P-51 Mustang 11-20-2007 02:13 PM

Running awful

Hey, ive got a 2001 boxster. It runs really bad, idles bad, starting off in first it will shudder really bad at excessivly high RPMs (1500) it stalls really bad has a huge delay when u step on gas. ive got a new fuel filter in it and a fuel pump, and air filter. Any ideas.

porsche986spyder 11-20-2007 02:17 PM

Any codes coming up? Sounds like it would be flashing like crazy if it has been stalling. Bring it to the dealership and at least get a diagnostic run on it. We really need more info to give you any type of advise.

blinkwatt 11-20-2007 02:28 PM

Funky idling & hesitation at throttle.....sounds like it possibly could be a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Is your check engine light on? Are you running a oil based air filter?

If this is the problem,do not buy it from the dealer. I've heard these things can run up to $550 at the dealer,$250 from www.************************************************************.

djomlas 11-20-2007 02:36 PM

thats exactly what happened to mine when i had a bad MAF. i had to push it back into my driveway how bad it was.

take the battery pos lead out, take the maf out, plug it back in, and see if it goes back to normal. if it does, theres your problem

spine911 11-20-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-51 Mustang
Hey, ive got a 2001 boxster. It runs really bad, idles bad, starting off in first it will shudder really bad at excessivly high RPMs (1500) it stalls really bad has a huge delay when u step on gas. ive got a new fuel filter in it and a fuel pump, and air filter. Any ideas.

Sounds like your throttle body is dirty. Take it apart and clean it. A bad MAF would more than likely throw a CEL would even put you in a dead stall with the symptoms you mentioned

Franco 11-20-2007 05:18 PM

Hi, If the car was running fine before replacing the fuel filter and pump I,d say something went wrong with the install, if you replaced these items go over what you did just to be sure ,if not bring it back to the mechanic who did the installation and ask him some questions.

Good Luck

P-51 Mustang 11-20-2007 11:24 PM

the car was running bad before the fuel pump and filter, I am going to clean the throttle body, and check the MAF, because it smokes really bad on startups, but its not oil its running to rich. I have no CEL's. Thanks for the leads!!!

blinkwatt 11-21-2007 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-51 Mustang
the car was running bad before the fuel pump and filter, I am going to clean the throttle body, and check the MAF, because it smokes really bad on startups, but its not oil its running to rich. I have no CEL's. Thanks for the leads!!!

If it's smoking pretty bad at start up I'd think it could be the Oil Separator as well. This may be worth paying a shop to diagnosis.