Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
HAVE YOU THESE SYMPTOMS?? i can help!!!

When you accelerate from stop does your car pull to the left/right?

When you brake hard is it a fight to keep the wheel straight?

When you are cruising at 70+ mph does the car feel unsafe, do you have to fight to keep the car on the road, does it feel un composed??

The questions i have written above are exactly what i felt up until 9:00am this morning.

To be honest we are lucky in Scotland and especially where i live, there are amazing roads right on our doorstep, and on these roads you may not see another car for miles, so you can really push your car. My problem was that ever since i got the Box S i have felt unsafe at anything over 70mph.
3 figures is utterly scary and i havent gone near that in a while.

on Wednesday past a nail went into one of my new tyres, didnt burst it but i had to change it ( too close too the edge) i contacted Porsche centre, enquired if they could get me a cooper tyre ( they couldnt) but i also asked and booked my car in for them too check my car as it felt wrong, they asked me too pop up that day for a mechanic too take it for a spin and diagnose.

He did and he advised that my wheels should be Balanced........

That simple.

I drove out 40 miles twisty country roads, got the new tyre fitted and the wheels balanced. 35minutes, a cup of coffee and £180.00 later i set of on the best drive i have had in my boxster s.

the roads were filthy, i finished all the water in my car trying to clear the windsreen but oh my god the journey was brilliant, i felt so happy with the car i seriously would have paid a grand if that was a mod. I can literally feel the road, i can tell how to direct the car and when pushing hard i got beautiful moments of controlled oversteer for the first time, much more impressive than my old s2000,

So im getting the alignment done on Tuesday anyway as it cant hurt but i advise that something as cheap and simple as balancing your wheels may increase your boxster ownership tenfold.

And tonight im going to an airfield (whatever you call a quite road) to get topspeed on, im so excited!!!!!

Below Photos of how dirty my box is just now, when i finished cleaning and polishing last night..... haha not happy

James

00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #2

Garage
I had pull, shaking, and handling issues on my '00 base (17's) and '01 S (18's) at every speed, especially above 70. Both cars were brought back online with new rubber/balancing. Afterwards, both cars tracked like they were on rails.

Post your top speed, love to see what those 19's do to the typical stock numbers.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:09 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
I had pull, shaking, and handling issues on my '00 base (17's) and '01 S (18's) at every speed, especially above 70. Both cars were brought back online with new rubber/balancing. Afterwards, both cars tracked like they were on rails.

Post your top speed, love to see what those 19's do to the typical stock numbers.

It is remarkable the differance, like rails exactly.!!!!!!!!!!

What do they do to ballance them? Dont mean to be stupid, i always thought they set weights on the wheel and then that kept the wheel centred when they tightened the nuts sort of keeping the wheel level aginst the hub or 'Balanced')....

Will keep you posted on top speed, it greasy roads today so hopefully the wind dries them up, plus i wonder how far out my speedo is!!!

James
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino Don
What do they do to ballance them?
They have a digital balancing machine that spins the wheel after the tires are installed on them and filled. An electronic readout must zero out with weight which is done in small increments and is attached (in my case) to the back-side of the rim edge. Once balanced, the wheel is reattached to the car and ready to go! Balancing does not happen while the wheel is on the car.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 11-17-2007 at 07:31 AM.
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote