Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #1

FabSpeed exhaust failure

I have the latest generation FabSpeed exhaust on my 02 Boxster S, and yesterday one of the welds on the midpipes between the resonator section completely failed, separating the tubing from the resonator entirely. My Box sounds like an old beat up pickup truck now!

I have talked to Imagine Auto in Kansas City, who is one of their largest dealers, who expects FabSpeed to replace that midpipe, but I am considering sourcing a set of high flow cats and welding those in where the resonators are so that I can go to a non catted header.

I'll keep you guys posted

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #2

Garage
Sorry to hear that. (no pun intended) I was going to order up the entire
fabspeed exhaust system (headers, cats and muffler) for my 02 S. The only
thing holding me back was the lack of information out there from real people
who have these systems installed on the boxsters. I dont want to drop 3500.00
for a exhaust system that might not live up to the quality, of other known systems.
Please keep us informed on what happens.
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #3

Before you decide to switch to Catless headers make sure that the Cat will work properly in a different location. I'm not saying it won't work in the position of the resonators, I'm just saying check into it. The pellets in the Cat need to be heated to a certain temperature to function correctly.

Being in the header is probably hotter than being further down stream. I know on the Boxster downstream is not very far at all, but I'm just saying do the research on what the temp range needs to be for the Cats to work properly. You don't want check engine lights going off or failing the NYS emissions test at your next inspection.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #4

Patrick, does the Fabspeed single chamber muffler you have on your car have the nasty resonance between 2-3k rpm like my twin chamber one from Che?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Patrick, does the Fabspeed single chamber muffler you have on your car have the nasty resonance between 2-3k rpm like my twin chamber one from Che?
Also curious of that, thinking of switching out the exhaust. This Stebro Race has bad resonance.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote