Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
blkboxster

these are the people that piss me off!!!

HERES a quote my Cuz sent to my from the G35/350z forum

o. People would pick the Porsche because it's a "Porsh" (intentional; nobody ever pronounces it correctly). People would pick the Porsche because it's a Porsche. When someone buys a Boxster, Cayman, or Cayenne, they buy it for the name (The Cayman and Cayenne S's are a different story). They don't buy it because it's a real Porsche, because honestly, it isn't. Porsche's name is about a race car built for the street. In other words, the 911 or Carrera GT. The people that buy the Cayman, Boxster, or Cayenne buy them because of the big "PORSCHE" emblem stuck on the front and rear. Not because they're high performance vehicles. Granted, they're extremely capable vehicles, and are nice in their own right, but nevertheless, they are not anywhere near the same level as a 911. In the end, though, they're just cars with the Porsche emblem.

You want a Boxster? Fine. Buy a Boxster. But get used to the real "car guys" calling you a poser for buying the poor man's "Porsche". It's like the 944. Not a real Porsche. Just a rebadged Volkswagen.

And by the way; Boxsters look nothing like 911s. They look like cheap Porsches. Want the "Porsche Effect"? Go buy a real one. Until then, get used to people calling you a poser. Boxsters are not real Porsches. 911s are real Porsches. You have no clue what you are talking about.

screw them i love boxsters

Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #2

I would not trade mine for another watercooled Porsche except a GT3/GT3RS. I have no love for the 996/997TT and the 997GT2 is fugly IMHO.

OK a Cayman powered by a 3.6 from a GT3 would also have me.

I had mine for sale for 2 weeks until I went and sat in a ZO6. No thanks GT3 or nothin' .

So in short ou guy's are stuck with me.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
ooo hell no, more poser stuff.
hahha

yeah were all posers, and know nothing about cars, i wish we all drove nissans :dance:
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 12-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
EE3racing

I kicked a lot of ass in a 944. Idiots in the USA think it's all about how fast you can get outa the hole, I guess that's what the five oh Mustang thought when he lit up his brakes for a curve and got his ass handed to him by a lowly 944.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #5

The infamous car guy argument. How cute. Of course they've never actually driven a Boxster.

Okay not exactly on topic but I found this and have to share. A CRX with corvette lights and huge spoiler. Awesome!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
The infamous car guy argument. How cute. Of course they've never actually driven a Boxster.

Okay not exactly on topic but I found this and have to share. A CRX with corvette lights and huge spoiler. Awesome!

Hey!! I'd drive that!

... off a cliff.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #7

What a load of crap ... people like that make me want to, well,

This person has not a clue what they're talking about. Not only that, but they bash the 944, which was a very capable car in its day. Even by today's standards it holds its own, I enjoyed an '85 944 as my first car and used it as a daily driver for nearly 4 years 'till I picked up my Boxster.

"Poor man's Porsche" or a true machine built to last? I say both the 944 & Boxster are wonderful machines that have created, for me, a love affair that will last a lifetime.

Last edited by 9eighty6; 12-11-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #8

I think this calls for a popcorn maker

You should post this on that forum

*taken from Bruce's post*
AUTOMOBILE Magazine Reveals 2008 All-Stars Winners

Compare Specs, Pictures and Prices - New Car Buyers Guide

LOS ANGELES--AUTOMOBILE Magazine, America’s leading automotive lifestyle publication, today announced the winners of its 2008 AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars Awards, delivering an exclusive selection of vehicles at the top of their class.

Porsche Boxster/Cayman – If you’re afraid people will think you bought a Cayman because you can’t afford a 911, we hereby inform you that those people are fools.[B][COLOR=Red] The Boxster and the Cayman are exquisite to drive, with steering so communicative you’ll feel more of the road’s surface only if you crawl along it on your hands and knees. Few cars are as entertaining to drive at school-zone speeds.

Criteria and Evaluation

The AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars are chosen by the AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE staff, its worldwide bureau chiefs, and its contributors, following an intensive test drive of the year’s most innovative and important new cars. Vehicles considered for the All-Stars awards combine the following traits:

Redefines an existing category or creates a new market segment
Provides excellent value and performance for the money
Exhibits an exceptional design
Offers pure driving enjoyment
After a 1000-mile road trip, winners are determined by a round-table discussion that results in a vote for the ten winners. The award decisions are not made through an instrumented test process.

About AUTOMOBILE Magazine

AUTOMOBILE Magazine, part
Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
These are a bunch of people that have never driven a Porsche, hate Porsche's because they don't have one, and feel that insulting people will make them feel better about not having a Porsche.
I have nothing against 350Z or other cars, but them calling us posers when there driving Japanese rice rockets that mimic, real sports cars, like any Porsche is just pathetic.
I hate people who say it's a, "poor man's Porsche," at least it isn't a poor man's car.

I don't normally get this upset, and I would never say the above unless I was talking to some jerk. Let's see how they like it when we insult there cars.
Also, my dad had a 944 for 16 years, it was a great car, and by no stretch of the imagination a poor man's Porsche.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #10

The dude's not totally wrong. There certainly are some people who would buy a Boxster just because it's a Porsche. Throwing a blanket over all Boxster owners and calling them all posers is just wrong though. Saying it's not a real Porsche just shows he hasn't actually driven one! These cars are truly amazing to drive.

Honestly when I bought my Boxster I got it because I'm a car guy and wanted a sexy, well performing, rear drive car. As such the standard Boxster, although still a great car, was not really an option for me, so I got an S. I was quite surprised at people's reactions. Other people obviously cared more about the fact that it was a Porsche than I did!!! I appreciate the good looks, performance, and as an engineer myself, especially appreciate the fine German engineering and design of the Boxster.

Personally I would prefer that people look at my car and appreciate it for what it is rather than who makes it. I would like people to see me drive by and think, "Wow, cool car, what kind is that?". This weekend I finally finished debadging my car. I've got a carbon fiber hood with no hood crest. I've got aftermarket wheels with no Porsche center cap (used to have nice colored ones), and this weekend I took off the Boxster rear trunk badge. I did keep the "S" though. I repainted it bright red and mounted it back in the center/bottom of the rear trunk. The only thing exterior on my car that says Porsche now are the red brake calipers... Oh well, it should still keep 'em guessing. hehehe
Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #11

Fellas, fellas, before you guys get all upset. Let's think about this. Thie original post came from a Nissan forum, right? Maybe these guys are on to something. Maybe we're such Pooorsh posers that we've been blinded by the nameplate and don't even realize that our money would be much better spent on the far superior Nissan automobile.

Let's compare...

Bottom of the line Porsche...

Bottom of the line Nissan...

Pretty nice. Let's look at the top of the line...

Top of the line Porsche...

Top of the line Nissan...

Okay, okay. How about their trucks? Nissan is known for their trucks, right?

Porsche truck...

Nissan truck...

See! It's just as I suspected! You guys jumped the gun. Nissan is the clear winner here. I'm headed out to the dealer right now. You think they make that killer truck in a hybrid?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #12

Can someone go to G35/350z forum and knock the senses out of them
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #13

I tested both the 350Z & the G35 before deciding to go for the Boxster.

They are NOT just 'rice rockets' that mimic real sports cars like Porsches.

The 350Z is an outstanding car which handles extremely well, is powerful & quick and is a real alternative to the Boxster/Z4/TT group of sports cars.

They have great build integrity & no IMS or RMS problems.

The G35 is pretty much a 350Z with back seats.

I can't believe people on Porsche forums bash the 350Z with racist 'rice' comments & people on 350Z forums bash the Boxster for 'not being a real Porsche'

Nothing much wrong with either of them. It's just horses for courses. Not everyone will have the same tastes.

In the end the Boxster fitted my criteria more than the 350Z/G35 did, but so what? Does it mean I'm a poser for not buying a real Porsche? Does it make me NOT a REAL driving enthusiast for considering teh 350Z/G35?

I'm just pleased that manufacturers such as Nissan can be bothered to make cars as focussed & as sporting in nature as the 350Z these days, especially when rivals, Toyota, Mazda & Honda have no current alternatives. (no decent Supra? weak RX-8? & no NSX?) I'm also pleased that Porsche make an amazing range of 'affordable' sports cars to sit below their expensive (well, too expensive for me anyways!) 911 range.

If manufacturers have to build Cayenne's or Sentra's or Altima's or whatever else to be able to fund development & manufacture of the cars do I like then so be it. I'm not about to judge them for that or judge the people who buy them.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #14

I think I will sleep just fine tonight.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #15

Grizzly, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Thanks bro
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Rennzenn

Garage
My wife has a 2004 G35 6MT coupe. I've got a 2000 986 S. The G35 is a nice car, but it's no Porsche (Boxster or otherwise). The get-up-and-go is there, and it looks fine, but the build quality just ain't the same. She's got a creak/pop coming from the rear of the car that Infinity has a TSB for. The dealer has had the car twice and can't solve the problem. On top of that, bits in the interior that are painted plastic that I know will delaminate eventually. I guess the soft-touch Porsche interior is kind of like this, but not really. I like her car, and I'm glad she's got it. It's nice to have something like that with a trunk and plenty of cargo space, but she'll NEVER keep up in the twisties!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #17

One day maybe Michael Dell will make enough money to buy a 911, until then he'll have to make do with his poor man's Porsche

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/billionaire/10-michael_dell.html
Old 12-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #18

Boxster owners seem to get bashed from every angle and camp.

The 911 air cooled boys say it's not a real Porsche if it has a radiator or the engine isn't hanging out the back.

At some point, you just gotta decide what you drive is fine because it was your choice.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-11-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #19

Calling a 350 ZX names is the same as calling a Boxster names.

Surely we have more important things to do than to respond to the posts like the original?

I can't imagine why what someone else thinks of my car matters should matter to me?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball
One day maybe Michael Dell will make enough money to buy a 911, until then he'll have to make do with his poor man's Porsche
You're not too far off with this statement. Dell's stock is in the crapper!

Closed Thread