Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #1

Newbie Onboard.

Just found the site. Reminds me of the Blind Melon video where the bee finds the hive. Just got my oldest into college and treated myself to an '02 Boxster S (seal greay/black). Only mods are a Schnell short shift kit with linkage (excellent money spent) and 19" Veloce (black inserts/chrome rounded edge) rims, staggered. Formerly a serial AMG owner, but I will never be without a p-car again. Can't wait to do the commute everyday (Huntington Beach to downtown LA), which wasn't the case before the Boxster. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but if you HAVE to commute, it could be far worse. Thanks for sharing your playground.

HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB986
Just found the site. Reminds me of the Blind Melon video where the bee finds the hive. Just got my oldest into college and treated myself to an '02 Boxster S (seal greay/black). Only mods are a Schnell short shift kit with linkage (excellent money spent) and 19" Veloce (black inserts/chrome rounded edge) rims, staggered. Formerly a serial AMG owner, but I will never be without a p-car again. Can't wait to do the commute everyday (Huntington Beach to downtown LA), which wasn't the case before the Boxster. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but if you HAVE to commute, it could be far worse. Thanks for sharing your playground.

Wlecome to the forum sounds like you got a very nice boxster, post some pics

Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #3

welcome, I have an 02 s also and love it!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #4

Hey HB-

Welcome and +1 on the '02 986 Seal Gray/Black!

At least there is 2633 miles between us according to mapquest.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB986
Ouch! Commuting into L.A. with a manual shift? That's painful. Maybe you should have gone for the Tiptronic.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ I've done that commute a few times, in my manual. It isn't fun, but at least I was doing it in style. And I wouldn't trade the manual for any automatic, just over a commute. It destroys the fun of the car!

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Maybe it's just me but I feel it's kind of a sin to have an automatic transmission on a Porsche. Enjoy the commute. Get a job in Malibu and then you could drive up the PCH all the way to work Commuting on the 405 or the 10 and you might want to read the posts on Boxster gas mileage so there are no surprises
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #8

Welcome aboard. Enjoy every minute of your ownership. I have a company ride, but sometimes leave it home and drive the Boxster. It has the power to change my whole attitude about the commute.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #9

Thanks for the welcome. Pics to follow. Short shift makes the difference after "rowing" down the 405 and 110 freeways for a couple of months.
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Welcome HB986,

Congrats on your new purchase and getting Jr off to college. My youngest is just finishing up at UCSD( turned in her grad check last week) . In May all of my kids will be officially off the dole and I will have disposable income once again. Happy times.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I've done the commute from Newport to LA and vise versa many times and i love it, Especially late nite with no traffic, sooooo much fun with my manual

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote