Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
pk2

Top won’t stop by itself…Either up or down

Hello,

My 99 Boxster top works fine but wont top by itself when it should, (all the way down or all the way up). You have lift your finger of the button to get it to stop. The dash light never goes out

To the best of my knowledge all 3 switches are functioning, as is the relay controller. I’ve poured over the wiring diagrams, lots of places for potential problems but if anyone can save me some trouble it would be appreciated.

Regards, PK

pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I do not understand your question, it is a little unclear.

From my understanding of what you are saying the top is operating perfectly.
You should have to hold down the top button the entire time the top is opening or closing. Then when the top dash light goes out you release the button.
If you continue to press the button the top will do the reverse of what it just did. So if you never release the top button, then it will open then close, then open, etc.

Hope his Helps!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000

You should have to hold down the top button the entire time the top is opening or closing. Then when the top dash light goes out you release the button.
If you continue to press the button the top will do the reverse of what it just did. So if you never release the top button, then it will open then close, then open, etc.

Hope his Helps!
Rick, I concur that the problem description could be clearer, but I think pk2 is saying that the dash light never goes out, even when the top is fully up (or down). For the rest of us, we keep the button pressed till the dash light goes out, and then we release the button. In pk2's case, the light never goes out, so it seems that he doesn't have a good indication of when to release the button.

Also, I don't believe the top button works as a toggle - it has two different settings (at least on my 01), such that you press one end to put the top up, and the other end to put it down.

Sorry pk2, I don't have any tips to offer you, but hopefully this clarifies the problem such that someone can actually provide the answer you are looking for.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think you are right, I don't think the top will cycle again if you continue to press. I forgot, and cannot check because my hardtop is on.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
pk2

Quote:

Hope his Helps!
Sorry if my message was garbled. When your light goes out, mine doesn’t. Further, when your light goes out and your finger is on the button, the motor is effectively aoutmattically turned off even if your finger is still on the button. Mine isn’t turned off.

As long as my finger is on the button, the motor will groan away as it jams up against either the windshield header or, into the open position, it would keep running till the top transmissions mechanisms were mangled (I let go of the button as soon as the clamshell shuts).

Hope that clarifies,

Thanks PK
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with the motor itself. My best guess, would be that your switch is messed up (simplest fix), the electronics in the car are messed up (tricky fix), or possible the trigger that signals the top is fully up or down is bad (likely).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
pk2

Quote:

From my understanding of what you are saying the top is operating perfectly. ... So if you never release the top button, then it will open then close, then open, etc.

Hope his Helps!
Sorry if my message was garbled. When your light goes out, mine doesn’t. Further, when your light goes out and your finger is on the button, the motor is effectively aoutmattically turned off even if your finger is still on the button. Mine isn’t turned off.

As long as my finger is on the button, the motor will groan away as it jams up against either the windshield header or, into the open position, it would keep running till the top transmissions mechanisms were mangled (I let go of the button as soon as the clamshell shuts).

Hope that clarifies,

Thanks PK
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
pk2

[QUOTE=bigb]Rick, I concur that the problem description could be clearer, ...QUOTE]

Please see my latest post for elaboration.

Thanks, PK