Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #1

Garage
Save my marriage or upgrade to an '05 S?

What do you do when the wife goes out of town for the weekend? Porsche shopping of course (just in case you said strip club or half a dozen bars, this post is meant to set you straight ) I bought an '00 986 a couple of months ago (my first Porsche), With all the hype about the diffs between the base and the S, I had to experience it for myself. I headed down to my dealer to test drive a shiny '05 S. Ahhhhhh mama, I felt like I was cheating on my wife, tight, solid, fast, beautiful. My salesman asked if I was a cop (I'm not), he explained that only cops test drive cars like I do since they carry a badge to get them out of trouble, LOL! If you haven't experienced the S, I highly recommend it.

So my problem is this, my '00 is paid for, runs great, looks good, rides nice, etc…the up to the S with ext warr. will cost me 24K on top of what I paid for the '00 Plus, my wife is just getting used to the idea of owning a Porsche. Did I break some sort of unwritten rule by driving an S from a base and not buying it on the spot?

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
boggtown

If you like the power just dont drive a 911. lol
Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
Ahhhhhh mama, I felt like I was cheating on my wife, tight, solid, fast, beautiful.
LOL! That was quite funny! I guess it depends how long you have been married and the cheating only matters on how many models you test drive...before laying down the cash.

I was always told by repeat offenders...(Porsche friends) to only consider the S if you can afford it or find one you really like. My #1 criteria with my purchase was getting an S followed by my choice of color combo and such...It may not have been the most scientific or practical methods, but then neither is buying a Boxster to some people. I say if you can afford it and you want to have even more fun, go for it and enjoy living your life!!!

Best of luck!!! Let us know if you need a place to sleep for a few nights after the wifey comes home.

Cheers!
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
cartagena

You have to calculate the alimony here. If it is in your favor, go with the S.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
You have to calculate the alimony here. If it is in your favor, go with the S.
Palimony baby, she paid for the '00! Always trying to figure out ways of spending her (our) money for her (us)! LOL

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee

Best of luck!!! Let us know if you need a place to sleep for a few nights after the wifey comes home.

Cheers!
I just might take you up on that!

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
cartagena

It is definitely S time then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
Palimony baby, she paid for the '00! Always trying to figure out ways of spending her (our) money for her (us)! LOL
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #8

Let's see....married seven years.....too long of a list.

02 S owner for 9 months, even with the attorney fee, some costly repairs....so far it has been less problematic and far less coslty.

At least for me, it's been a great trade so far.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #9

I think about an S every so often - especially when I see how far S prices have dropped since I bought my non-S.

I guess my thought process is this:

When I changed from a 94 Miata to a 2000 Boxster, the upgrade in performance was substantial. The condition of the car was also better. I sold my 94 Miata with hard top for $6300 and bought the Boxster for $21,250 and added a hard top for $610. So, I basically spent three times the selling price of the Miata on the Boxster. I think the Boxster is a great car, but it isn't three times as much fun as the Miata. (It is 1.5 to 1.8 times as much fun.) It is also a Porsche - and we all know the intangible value of that.

On the other hand upgrading to an S will bring slightly more fun at a a fairly substantial price. The intangibles won't be as great as my move from the Miata to the Boxster. So, up to this point I haven't felt compelled to move to an S.

Now, when my Boxster wears out that will be another story.

Have fun with your decision.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #10

I bought my 911SC while I spent monday thru Friday in a different city, never bothered to really tell the wife for a few months since if I didnt tell it wasnt really a lie, finally had to admit it, she still hasnt gone near the car in 4 years and likes to sit at her $30k dining room table very once in a while to remind me of my stupidity. Seems that $30k was the maximum amount she could take out of my bank accounts without me being there, didnt help that the bank teller was an angry divorcee. But I am still married, now if I could just get some time to install my new race deck floor in the garage, being trying for a month but had to finish the install on the new kitchen and appliances, seems some of us never learn and just keep paying the price
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
If you end up grabbing that S, I'll take the base model off your hands. You probably won't have enough room in your driveway, anyway
[z0ne] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #12

You might think about getting a low mileage 2002 or 2003 "S" and not spend that much more and have the power and your wife, that is of course if you want her :-))).

I bought a low mileage 2000 Boxster last spring. It was a beautiful car and met every need I had but needed a little more power. I found a low mileage 2002 "S" and when I told my wife I was going to sell my 2000 and get another Boxster I thought for a minute she was going to have a stroke. Then I thought I was going to have one. I finally got her calmed down and explained the difference was only $5,000 and what all I was getting for that she eventually calmed down. Ah, what the hell, after I did the above and promised to have the screen porch re-done she calmed down :-)))).

Good luck to you.

Tom
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #13

likes to sit at her $30k dining room table
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #14

Garage
I pulled into the dealership with every intention of buying the '05 S, but of course, the '05 S was gone, plus they had an '03 S with only 17K, gone too! So, I test drove an '06 S that the dealer was willing to let go for invoice (mid 40's). The deciding hitch was; I purchased the '00 for 20K two months ago, received an appraisal for 17K. Sucks being upside down by so much, it's only been 2 months! Don't believe I'd do much better in a private deal, sounds just about where it should be.

I figure I'm upside down in the '00 by 5K (tax, 60K major, mods), I just can't bring myself to drop that amount of cash for 2 months of ownership. So, I've decided to wait for the bottom to arrive and enjoy my '00 until the Spring. Hopefully I can nail down an S then, plus my wife never has to know what I've been up to!

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 10-11-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #15

Garage
Guess what, wife is out of town again! So, yesterday I sold my '00 base in the hopes of replacing it ASAP. With no prospects, I had to walk home from the dealer, the ultimate walk of shame! After a month of daily searches, I found and purchased this '01 S off of eBay. Totally pumped up, can't wait 'til she's in my driveway.

:dance:

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #16

You crack me up man, I saw that car on ebay. Great looking boxster, and you got a sweet deal. The seller had "911" in the title and it would show up every time I would be searching for my next "Hun, you will never guess what I bought!"

Congrats on the car. I think I convinced myself to keep the stock 2.7 until after my baby is born and I can re-asses my finances.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
"Hun, you will never guess what I bought!"
LOL, it was a sweet deal, under $22K 65K miles. I was seeking a steal on an 911 too...got to stick with a mid flat 6 though, afraid that the increase in power would be trumped by the handling char of a mid-position Boxster. Plus, my(our) bank account has already taken enough of a beaten!

This is my first eBay motors purchase...anyone else buy their 986/987 off of eBay?

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 AM   #18

I bought my 986 on ebay as well as two boats. All transactions were flawless. Just remember, there are no consequenses to you saying no if something was not represented clearly. Treat it like you would a typical sale. Get it checked out, inspect the car, and buy it if it is what you expected.

If you get there and the guy confesses that there is an oil leak, the check engine light is on, and the engine runs hot... you do not need to buy it.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #19

I bought my '01S off ebay. Drove down to look at it. Looked it over inside/out/under. Drove it. Perfect. Bought it, no ppi. 6 months later perfect.

Funny story, but hope you don't end up sleeping in that thing, november and all. Interesting wheels. Who makes 'em?
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #20
dj1

Too funny!! What a great story. Wish I had the b-lls. Bought my '01 S on ebay this summer. Best purchase I ever made. I love the car. When i"m not driving it, I'm either waxing it, sitting in it in my garage, or on this web site(getting talked into buying a newer one). Thank God my wife is(almost) as in love with it as I am. Yesterday I passed a hook and ladder firetruck and the driver turned on his megaphone and yelled "nice car". Same thing happens everytime I pull into a gas station. People love 'em!!!

dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote