Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #1

Mod Envy

So I will likely buy a new car late next year or early 2009. One of my considerations is the new M3. In the process of looking at the M3 I went to the dealer to check out the 335i sedan. Pretty nice car. As I researched it some more I came to the realization that the car is really cheap to modify with significant performance gains.

Drop $1300 on an engine management device (self installed) and get 60-80HP. NICE! I have major mod envy.

I realize it is so easy because of the turbo chargers but wouldn't it be nice to pay $1300 for 80HP on the Boxster

On a side note, I have no intention to purchase a 335i, just thought it was cool that it is so easy to mod.

Here is the site for the management device:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_335i.htm

05 Touareg V8
Black

Last edited by drburton; 11-08-2007 at 11:38 AM.
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Meh,don't believe power gain claims unless you see dynos.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
A lot of cars can get significant HP gains from simple and relatively cheap mods. But the Boxster is just a better car all around, so who cares. Plus, HP doesn't make it handle any better!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #4

My wife's Audi is the same because it is a turbo. In fact, it's true with just about any turbo because they keep the boost low from the factory and assume California grade octane. Lowest common denominatore I guess. Once you get out of the turbo models thouogh it's just the same as the Boxter. I have heard than gains of 50 to 80HP through chip upgrades on the 911 twin turbo are fairly common.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #5

No, twin turbos would NOT improve the Boxster. Be happy for what the Boxster is.

335 is a beast. I own one. The Vishnu chip is for real -- plenty of folks have showed dynos. Without the chip, the 335 is a very (very) fast car.

That said, the 335 sits in my garage. I pick the box every time, lately even on rainy days... Why? The Boxster has much better throttle response, better steering feedback, much better clutch/shifter interaction. These things really matter. The 335 is more refined, but its just not fun to drive. You can drive the Box thru a corner with the throttle, the 335 just doesn't talk to you the same way.

Would more torque help the 335? If so, I would never have bought the Boxster.

drburton -- I was going to buy an M3 too. But after owning 335 (my 4th BMW), I've lost faith in BMW. My next car will be a Boxster too (unless I decide on a Cayman...).
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #6

fatmike, thanks for the input. I have the Boxster as a third car today but I really want to move towards two cars. Since I have two small children I would like a car with a backseat that can be used on a daily basis (I drop off the kids at daycare every day) but is also a sports car that I can track on occassion.

Since the Boxster has no back seat it is really hard for me to even find time to drive it. The only Porsche in consideration would be a 911, but I am partial to the 997 and they are a bit spendy, and not so practical (backseat is barely usable). That's what brought me to the M3 possibility. So I'm not thinking the performance will be better or 'more fun' than the Boxster but certainly more practical.

Do you have the 335i coupe or sedan?

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #7

I have a 335 Coupe (its for sale - shameless plug). I think the 335 is a better car than most for what you describe. But its definitely a "trade-off". I agree that the M3 will likely offer fewer compromises, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that its approaching 997 money!

The best part about the 335 is the bluetooth for the cell phone. What an incredible feature -- one that the Boxster really needs along with proper noise cancelling technology!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
blkboxster

Twin turbo cars are very east to upgrade, i can buy a $3000 ecu upgrade for my S600 and go from 493hp to 604
Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That is crazy!
The boxster has enough power as it is but if I could gain a 15% increase in HP that easily why not.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
That is crazy!
The boxster has enough power as it is but if I could gain a 15% increase in HP that easily why not.

By introducing turbos you lose throttle response. Personally, I wouldn't trade 15% more torque for loss of throttle response. The Boxster's throttle response gives you confidence to push a corner on the throttle because you trust the amount of thrust the car will respond with. With a turbo, there is less confidence because there is a delay... then a SURGE!

This is (for me) what makes the Boxster so much fun to drive.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ I didn't know that. I agree, it is not worth doing, if you lose throttle response.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #12

Believe it...

400whp BMW 335 w/ simple mods:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93865&highlight=335+dyno

Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
With a turbo, there is less confidence because there is a delay... then a SURGE!
Sure you get a surge with turbos, but only if you are nailing it hard after being off the throttle. It can be quite fun, a good way to break the rear end lose and drift through turns. But there is a way around that surge - simply NEVER lift off the throttle!

I had a turbo WRX that was modified. It was great fun to drive and I thought the ability to throttle steer it in turns (to wide - just lift a little, to tight - give it gas), which may have been more of a function of the all wheel drive, made it very fun to drive and still responsive.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote