Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Unhappy Headlights STOLEN

Rant time for me, So i wake up this morning, feeling tired. Walk to my car at 545am that i had to park 1 block away from my apt cause the street was full of parked cars on my block. Drive to work and dont notice anything out of the ordinary UNTIL i pull into the underground parking garage at work and notice that i do not see my headlights against the walls or floor. I think to myself "GREAT! damn headlight switch is fried" so i park in a space and start to turn the headlight switch on and off rapidly to see if i can get the lamps on at all, and it didnt work....

So i get out and im already thinking about what terms i should use in my search for headlight switch replacement on 986forum.com but then i notice something... my sidemarker is missing and the wire and bulb are dangling then i walk to the front of the car and notice both of my headlights are stolen !and! the edge of the hood, front bumper and fender are scratched!

That is the moment i realized my headlight were stolen today... WTF!!!!! why would someone one yellow egg yolk headlights! venting... venting... venting...

I called my insurance claims department to notify them, I have full coverage Progressive Insurance with $250 deductible, does anyone know what i am to expect from the Porgressive as far as repair and or compensation?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
bmussatti

CJ, that sucks!

Your replacements are here:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=98663113104and&Category_Code=986lights

Check Sunset for pri$ing too.

Litronis Kits are about $2,495. Clear sets are about $1,395.

Clears:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=98663113114AND98663113214&Category_Code=986lights

Last edited by bmussatti; 11-01-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #3

What in the @#$@#$ is the world coming too? Seems like it would take more time to get them out then they would be of value to steal and try to resell. How did they get your hood open, was the car unlocked too? Unless the scratches were from prying the hood open. Man, don't know how you guys park everything on the street like that all of the time... Well, at least you can upgrade your lights now.

all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Rant time for me, So i wake up this morning, feeling tired. Walk to my car at 545am that i had to park 1 block away from my apt cause the street was full of parked cars on my block. Drive to work and dont notice anything out of the ordinary UNTIL i pull into the underground parking garage at work and notice that i do not see my headlights against the walls or floor. I think to myself "GREAT! damn headlight switch is fried" so i park in a space and start to turn the headlight switch on and off rapidly to see if i can get the lamps on at all, and it didnt work....

So i get out and im already thinking about what terms i should use in my search for headlight switch replacement on 986forum.com but then i notice something... my sidemarker is missing and the wire and bulb are dangling then i walk to the front of the car and notice both of my headlights are stolen !and! the edge of the hood, front bumper and fender are scratched!

That is the moment i realized my headlight were stolen today... WTF!!!!! why would someone one yellow egg yolk headlights! venting... venting... venting...

I called my insurance claims department to notify them, I have full coverage Progressive Insurance with $250 deductible, does anyone know what i am to expect from the Porgressive as far as repair and or compensation?
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #4

Damn - sorry to hear that CJ. Make sure your insurance also pays for getting those scratches removed, not just for replacing the lights. In fact, if you want to save some $$, have them pay for the parts + install, then do it yourself. That should ease your "deductible" pain.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Dude CJ if you want some amber halogens for a good price let me know.

Don't pay $2.5k for Litronics! I paid $350/shipped for my driver side Litronic the other day. All the Porsche dismantlers said they would let me have a passenger side for $500 when they get a set in. Just wait it out if you can and you'll save yourself a ton of money.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-996-911-99-01-LITRONICS-XENON-HEADLIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ019 QQitemZ290171532033QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you build a set of clear halogens
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996-C2-driver-sd-headlight-used-off-2000-Cabri_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ003QQit emZ130169277001QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #7

bmussatti: thanks for the links, i wont know what i can afford till i talk to the claims adjuster and find out what they think i should get for the lights.

meerzee: yeah street parking sucks because anyone can just bump your car or steal something and they probably wont get caught. I think they pryed the headlights out, the plastic on passenger headlight track is got a broken peice of plastic in it. Hood was never opened

bigb: yeah, im expectin them to repaint those area that were damaged cause theres no way they were there before cause i mean... the paint it relatively NEW!

blinkwatt: Yeah, im looking around ebay for lits incase i can afford them with the insurance, The dealer next to me "Pacific Porsche" says a set of new Ambers are 1745, so i hope to get something close to that from Progressive. Oh yeah i seen those headlamps on ebay minutes before you posted them lol thanks!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #8

Progressive Insurance

CJ,
Make sure that Progressive sends your car to a good shop for the paint work to get the scratch fixed. I had Progressive insurance until I got hail damage last year. They had a list of approved shops I could send the car to, most of them I had never heard of. They would not let me go to a shop of my choice, no option of paying the difference for choosing my own shop. The shop I picked is owned by a Porsche driver and PCA member so I thought I would be in good shape. These guys were horrible, missed hail damage and had other things go wrong that I won't go into.

The remedy Progressive had was to send the car back to the same shop to fix, after 3 trips back and forth to fix the fixes I had enough, took the car to a stealership bodyshop and paid out of pocket, dropped Progressive and got premium insurance through Fireman's.

Laws in Cally might be different for insurance, just another thing to think of.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
bmussatti

OK guys, where do you "think" the lights on eBay come from? And for those low-low prices. The light-fairy?

Some of them come form an incident like CJ just experienced.

It is a vicious circle, and some purchases on eBay just keep it turning.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:43 AM   #10

CJ, sorry to hear what happened to your car. I also park my car on the streets and have been thinking about installing 2 way viper alarm in case something like this happens to me. If you want to buy a set of used headlights(Amber). I am selling mine.
ichiro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about your loss. That is a financial and logistical burden. I would suggest you follow the advice previously posted and take advantage of the situation to upgrade - that way something positive can come of it.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Damn CJ I'm sorry to hear about that. Your poor Boxster.

I hope the ins. co. doesn't hassle you at all.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #13

CJ, I agree 100% that someone probably pried the lights out with a screw driver rather than popping the hood. There's only one metal piece that holds them in, so all they would have to do is pry hard enough with a screw driver to break either the mount or the light.

Before you settle with the insurance company make sure you have the car checked out carefully by a professional. I don't know how they could pry out the lights without bending some sheetmetal. I know you see scratches, but the metal also may not be straight. As you mentioned, the headlight mount may be broken too (which may require removing the fender to replace). What about the wiring harness, did they cut that?

Again, I'd check everything out carefully so that you make sure you're not shorted on what repairs are required.

Also, you said they stole the yellow egg yolk lights. I could have sworn you hard clear halogens in there though.... right? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge

Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
CJ, I agree 100% that someone probably pried the lights out with a screw driver rather than popping the hood. There's only one metal piece that holds them in, so all they would have to do is pry hard enough with a screw driver to break either the mount or the light.

Before you settle with the insurance company make sure you have the car checked out carefully by a professional. I don't know how they could pry out the lights without bending some sheetmetal. I know you see scratches, but the metal also may not be straight. As you mentioned, the headlight mount may be broken too (which may require removing the fender to replace). What about the wiring harness, did they cut that?

Again, I'd check everything out carefully so that you make sure you're not shorted on what repairs are required.

Also, you said they stole the yellow egg yolk lights. I could have sworn you hard clear halogens in there though.... right? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge

Kirk
I think everything in this post except for the insurance fraud is good advice.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #15

I would be verrrrry leary about replacing those headlights with Litronics or anything that is going to cost you more $$$.
1- the dude that stole your lights didn't just stumble upon your car. He noticed your car parked outside and made an appointment to visit your car at 4am when everyone was sleeping. I'm betting he used a van to block the view of passing cars.
2-this person is probably roaming the area and he will be back to pump that well again. Or he will tell one of his Porsche-familiar parts theives about his score.

You need to move out to a different area or find garaged parking.

This is why I never leave my car with the top down when I'm running errands.
These guys know how to get in and out quick. I'd say you are lucky they weren't Litronics that required disconnecting wires, these idiots have known to do big $$$ damage to the electrics.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #16

llol yeah, i dont think i would need to lie about what i had cause the stock ambers at the dealer are $1745 a set and that is more than enough for new ebay litronics

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
llol yeah, i dont think i would need to lie about what i had cause the stock ambers at the dealer are $1745 a set and that is more than enough for new ebay litronics
That's brilliant, CJ, you are going to buy lights on eBay, that may have been stolen from another Porsche car owner.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #18

Quote:

Dude, I'd say get a quote for the regular set from your dealer, and get the insurance to pay you for it, then get a set of Litronics! win/win!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
That's brilliant, CJ, you are going to buy lights on eBay, that may have been stolen from another Porsche car owner.

THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEEEEE

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #20

I'm surprised the alarm did not go off?

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote