Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

wipers being pushed instead of dragged?

I'm not quite sure how to describe this, but on most cars, I'm used to the wiper blade being dragged across the windshield, then when the arm reverses, the blade flops over and is dragged back. On my Boxster, the blades don't flop over - the arms drag in one direction and push them the other direction. It's when they're being pushed across the windshield that they squeak so badly.

Is this the way it's s'posed to be? (And is my description making any sense whatsoever?)

(I did see RandallNeighbour's suggestion for using FK1-425 on the windshield to reduce the squeak and am trying that, but am still wondering about the wiper action).

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #2

What type of blades are you using, and are they new?

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #3

I bought the car about 6 months and 6,000 miles ago and they're the wipers that came with it. It only had 16,000 miles on it, so they may be the originals.

Does that mean your wipers don't get "pushed" across the windshield?

... and climbing.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

I'd say try some quality replacement blades to see if that helps. I've never noticed mine to function any differently than other wipers in terms of pushing or pulling. It's possible that the rubber in your blades is old and less flexible, and has taken a particular bend or angle from being in the parked position.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I'd say try some quality replacement blades to see if that helps. I've never noticed mine to function any differently than other wipers in terms of pushing or pulling. It's possible that the rubber in your blades is old and less flexible, and has taken a particular bend or angle from being in the parked position.
That makes sense. The current ones work okay, but man, do they squeak! I'll follow the other thread on wipers and see what people recommend. Thanks.

... and climbing.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
bmussatti

Don't just replace the wipers based on the car's miles. They should be replaced based on use, age, and sun exposure. The blades wear out just siting there from the air and sun.

Clean your windsheild really well too. Use a 2:1 solution of distilled water to denatured alcohol.

Last edited by bmussatti; 11-05-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Don't just replace the wipers based on the car's miles. They should be replaced based on use, age, and sun exposure. The blades wear out just siting there from the air and sun.

Clean your windsheild really well too. Use a 2:1 solution of distilled water to denatured alcohol.
All good points. Actually, the blades clean the windshield fine and don't show signs of wear. But they don't flop over on the reverse stroke (or maybe it's the forward stroke) of the arms, which is more a function of the armature. That's really what I was asking about.

... and climbing.