Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #1

Are these 2 problems related?

I just had my car in to the dealer for a new oil seperator and air mass sensor.

After I brought it home, I noticed a few fresh drops of oil under the engine on my garage floor. I brought it back and the dealer said is was a leak between the transmission and engine- made worse in Tiptronics which my Boxster is. They recommended I do nothing but watch it as it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Could the dealer have caused this leak through the oil seperator work they did? Or is this just a seperate issue that happened to hit at the same time?

If its not a big deal I'll just deal with a few drops of oil on my garage. Thanks again for the advice,

babybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Dripping oil can be a sign of RMS failure. I would get it checked out. The stealership may not want you to do anything so they can charge you $10k to replace the engine.
It sounds fishy that right after they work on your car you begin having a problem, or it could just be something simple.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybaby
I just had my car in to the dealer for a new oil seperator and air mass sensor.
the dealer said is was a leak between the transmission and engine
That is where the RMS is! If it is that area, and only a few drops, you can get away with it for some time. But it will eventually need to be replaced. I did mine when the clutch was replaced so I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak. But if your is an automatic, which I guess can still have an RMS leak it won't go away by itself. Keep an eye on it. If the seal fails, the engine could go out because of a sudden loss of oil.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote