Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 AM   #1

Good mechanic in Austin, TX?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the appropriate place for this. I'm looking for some recommendations for mechanics in the Austin area. Anyone have any experience?

I seem to have a small oil leak that the dealer said was "no big deal". Not very reassuring. I'd like to get a second opinion.

Thanks for any references you can provide,

babybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #2

Could be your RMS. Really, if it leaks a little, it's not a fatal problem... however, if the intermediate shaft has problems...

There's an independent wrench on N. Lamar, his shop is called TPWS. He's been doing Porsches for over 30 years, IIRC.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the recommendation!

I just had my car in for a new oil seperator and air mass sensor. Could the dealer have caused this leak through that work? Or is this just a seperate issue that happened to hit at the same time?

If its not a big deal I'll just deal with a few drops of oil on my garage. Thanks again for the advice,
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Could be your RMS. Really, if it leaks a little, it's not a fatal problem... however, if the intermediate shaft has problems...

There's an independent wrench on N. Lamar, his shop is called TPWS. He's been doing Porsches for over 30 years, IIRC.

Awesome to know! Thanks for the recommendation! Anyone in Austin have any good or bad experiences with Roger Beasley? I'm always hesitant to take my car to the dealership. Now that I own a Porsche it's even scarier than before.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #5

Well, they just charged me $1500 to fix a failed oil seperator and other associated problems. Almost immediately after bringing it home, I'm seeing this oil leak which would cost another $1300 to fix.

I'm not happy right now. But if they are, indeed, two seperate issues not related to the quality of the first repair job- I may just be the victim of bad luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybaby
Well, they just charged me $1500 to fix a failed oil seperator and other associated problems. Almost immediately after bringing it home, I'm seeing this oil leak which would cost another $1300 to fix.

I'm not happy right now. But if they are, indeed, two seperate issues not related to the quality of the first repair job- I may just be the victim of bad luck.

They quoted me $250 for an oil chance on my Boxster. When researching how to do it online it was said that an oil change on a Boxster should cost around $125. I spilt the difference and took it to a Mom and Pop local oil and lube joint and he did it for $170. Worked out for both of us. I saved some cash and he got to put Porsche on his list of serviceable vehicles. (and I let him take his kids out in it for a joyride )
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #7

The AOS shouldn't cost that much to change... it's about a $150 part, IIRC, and it's just got some hoses connected to it. Perchance they did something in addition to just changing the AOS?

If they are talking about the Rear Main Seal needing replaced, you can hold off on it for a while, it's just a little oil leak. When you do have it replaced, get a new clutch, and have them install it while they're in there.

BTW, I do my own oil changes. Costs me about $80 or so, and takes maybe an hour. It's easy.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:13 AM   #8

Old thread but the topic is still very relevant. I've been thinking of taking my 2000 Boxster S to either TPWS, Moorespeed, Autosport, or Silent Automotive. Hard to believe that Yelp has 5 star ratings for each of these, as supposedly business owners cannot delete negative reviews. Well Roger Beasley was hammered to bits but I guess that is not too surprising.

I also asked the people at Austin VeeDub but they only work on older Porsches.
gnomish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #9

I recommend Luxury Auto Works on North Lamar in Austin, TX.

Stop by and see for yourself.

Ten times better than the Austin Dealership. They have loaner cars, a clean organized facility and they fix it correctly the first time. I cannot say that about the Porsche dealer.

Just my two-cents
MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote