Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 04:28 AM   #1

2 cars on a Second-Floor garage. Looking for Structural Engineer advice

I plan on placing two cars on a 100mm thick concrete floor reinforced by OD8mm steel rods (gridded at 200mm distance between rods). Surrounding support pillars are also reinforced by 2*OD20mm + 3*OD18mm steel rods. See below blueprint and car/weight spreading original idea.

Two cars = 4,000KG and spaced, to me, adequately. Well... adequately, this is where it gets complicated for me. There are ppl on the first floor and I need to mathematically prove that this project is not going to become a catastrophe (I mean, for someone's head, downstairs).

Anyone here who is a licensed structural engineer that could quickly run this in his/her FREE calculator for a fella member? A member who is too cheap (or embarrassed) to seek assistance from a specialized firm.

At the moment I just need a general advice based on "General Data" as-in, using the lowest tensile, yield and compressive strength, elastic modulus of construction concrete, etc.... it's not granite I reassure you (viva China!). Once I have a good idea, I'll then go spend the $ it takes RE seeking assistance from a licensed firm to issue the simulation (legal, need to pay for stuff like that unfortunately)

Anybody here can't tell me if I am completely wasting my time, or being a "public danger"?!

^ framed in that picture is the exact area/under view of the floor I intent loading. Right down to the clock on the wall

ps. there are a lot of spiders and 'webs' on that ceiling. Can this be added as a contributing factor to strength in this case?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I'd just use the "15X (X=people) x 200Y (Y=lbs) = Z (Z=car) " base line. It's in the Dr Nick Rivierra Engineering From Home manual they sent me.

So, if 15 "average" people per car desired can stand there, you're good to go.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

I'd like to think that our good'ol Chinese concrete is far superior than the one Springfield, NJ was built on

Funny bit is not a single calc is the same. Some result indicate that I'll kill everyone on the first floor, some other formulas tells me I can even add up a third car. Calculating concrete psi/sq, force/pressure, beam loads + then taking into consideration the spacing between reinforcement steel rods in both floor and support pillars, etc etc... it really gets out of my hands lollll (there is the idiot factor also mind you).

Not a 'structural' engineer and can't pretend to be for that kind of set-up.

I'm really trying to save me the embarrassment (and money) before I bring this plan over a real firm specialized into feasibility simulation - as in legal ($$$). Advice taken from our local gov Bldg Code Officer who seems to back off on the idea (expected). Nobody wants to tell me "yea, go ahead". Half-hilarious :/

HELP!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
The real question here is what are the two cars
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
P.s send me a message I have a pretty good friend that is a structural engineer
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Thanks Martin. Shoot him this link first mate, that'd be so so so helpful already. If he thinks & wants to help that's all up to him (let me know)

Total idiot here so please, tell him that if he needs more data than what I've already published he is going to wait forever. I don't even have the grade of the concrete used but know roughly that it can hold around 500kg/sq meter.

I can do the 'static' simulation (there, the idiot coming out lolll) but that is only good to help me to find out where to add reinforcements (as in over-engineering the thing using 1970's techniques). All I need to know is; do I bloody need it or the floor will sustain the weight as per original design. Never expected it to be that complicated.

^ think the 'computer' says the floor could do with an I-beam support here and there lolll

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-15-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
The real question here is what are the two cars
loll just saw that. Funny, that is the first question that local gob bldg. officer asked. I was so entertained.

Of course, two brand NEW Chinese made Cherry QQs. One for me and the other, for me also (who else wants a Cherry). Can't say to anyone this showroom is for performance cars (top secret stuff man)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

I think for the basic calcs you can use 50 lbs. a a square foot you do the math. Just looking at the pictures I would think no problem. Would be nice to see the original calcs. Here in California all that stuff stays with the permit in the building dept.
Here's some more to check out http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2001/FL_Building1/PDFs/Chapter%2016_Structural%20Loads.pdf

Rick
SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBlackbox View Post
I think for the basic calcs you can use 50 lbs. a a square foot you do the math. Just looking at the pictures I would think no problem. Would be nice to see the original calcs. Here in California all that stuff stays with the permit in the building dept.
Here's some more to check out http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2001/FL_Building1/PDFs/Chapter%2016_Structural%20Loads.pdf

Rick
Nice one Rick, thanks. We found the original architect firm & designer y'day morning and was told 400kg/m (82lbs sq foot) according to their database, for this particular floor/bldg. To them, given I maintain the load on 5mm thick steel plates and reinforce the center of the floor with an additional reinforced column (static stress, see sim pic), all should naturally hold and go unnoticed without 'too many' cracking. Needs seasonal inspections :/

The problem is with the OD8mm rebars in the 100mm thick concrete areas. Hence the steel plates recommendation.

Would you also suggest? 5mm in alloy steel seems pretty damn thick, no?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

Rick - case closed man

EVOLUTION!!! We'll wrap the entire surface with carbon fiber. Its going to look just like the trims I've wrapped on 986. What a match!

Billy & Mickey there on the pic (Chinese versions of course) are coming over this coming week and wrapping 46sq meter with the stuff along with their team - they need two days they quoted. Contract signed a few hours ago ($2,700). We are putting two meter deep on each columns as well. From 400kg/m up to 1,200kg/m. I can even add my private Boeing 747 on that floor now

Screw rebars and other primitive reinforcement methods (I-Beams loll). Good old epoxy resin and layers-after-layers of that thick CF stuff sounds more like a modern solution. BUT - I'll take pics and show you how awful it will look from under when completed (black, all black)

Some reading if Internet readers are in the same situation:
Fortress Stabilization: Carbon-Fiber Concrete Reinforcement

You'll get the idea (and thanks for listening all lolll)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #11

and there is Billy (Chen) doing what he does best.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #12

I have to laugh. Years ago I added a garage on to an existing house. When I took the plans in to the county inspection department, they took a quick look, looked me square in the eye and asked "what tank are you planning to park here?".

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote