Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
pk2

Belt disintegration, splits into two with new SC???

Just finished a DIY (TPC) super charger install. 3 more pulleys, requires a longer belt. Every thing works duckey but the main belt disintegrates.

1) I just got back (literally) from a 1mile maiden voyage, cut short when my brand new belt disintegrated.

2) Today’s new belt replaced yesterdays brand new belt (albeit sitting around for 2 yrs.) that disintegrated in my driveway while I got ready for the maiden voyage.

3) The tensioner has to be tweaked just about to it’s limits to get the belt on; about an inch more than the stock belt requires

4) All the additional pulleys appear to be in line with the motors pulleys.

With that said, I read about the tensioner (what Porsche has to say about it) and it appears it’s a hydraulic device of some sort (?) which would say to me that it’s designed to maintain a constant tension regardless of it’s position. Wish ther was a spec for belt deflection somewhere.

One unusall note, both belts split. That is, they separated into two (one belt with 2 ribs, other with 3) before they really gave out. Which makes me think maybe something is slicing it as it spins around it’s circuit, though I sure didn’t notice anything at all that interfered.

Regards, PK

pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote