Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #1

HELP! I need someone to talk me out of this!

Someone needs to hit me over the head with a frying pan. I am falling for a 996. Every time I search them on the net, my infatuation grows. As our country slips into recession, the deals are getting very tempting. I have found more than one low-mileage 2000 996 for less than 30k. Is there any reason to not do this?

YES! I love my boxster, it is therapy for me. I drive it when tensions are high, when the weather is great, and when I have an itch for speed. I do not track the car, so I do not need anything over 90mph.

NO! I have a baby girl on the way, and one day she would like to ride in daddy's porsche, right? I need the 3.4 litre engine so I can speed up to 45 mph faster than the minivan next to me, right?

I actually called about one 2000 996 that I saw for sale locally and it sold for 25k before I got them on the line! That's incredible. I went to my garage and started the boxster, it made me forget about it. Until I was looking at sema pics and saw a gt3 from the show. AHHHHHH!

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Someone needs to hit me over the head with a frying pan. I am falling for a 996. Every time I search them on the net, my infatuation grows. As our country slips into recession, the deals are getting very tempting. I have found more than one low-mileage 2000 996 for less than 30k. Is there any reason to not do this?

YES! I love my boxster, it is therapy for me. I drive it when tensions are high, when the weather is great, and when I have an itch for speed. I do not track the car, so I do not need anything over 90mph.

NO! I have a baby girl on the way, and one day she would like to ride in daddy's porsche, right? I need the 3.4 litre engine so I can speed up to 45 mph faster than the minivan next to me, right?

I actually called about one 2000 996 that I saw for sale locally and it sold for 25k before I got them on the line! That's incredible. I went to my garage and started the boxster, it made me forget about it. Until I was looking at sema pics and saw a gt3 from the show. AHHHHHH!

I get the same way, i know exactly how you feel there is a local garage that has an 05 Carrera4s think is £40k ( $80k) and i want it, then i think, i love my box.
The car that wont leave my head is the Ferrari 550 Marrenello, and they are in the right price bracket.
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
A 996 is nice but they still put the motor in the wrong place. I can't say I would never own one but the Cayman is a lot more attractive to me.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #4

If you are passionate about driving twisty roads, keep a Boxster or Cayman in the garage.

If you find yourself hungering for more 0-60 speed in a straight line, the 996-997 is probably the best car to have, especially if you drive it on city roads that are flat and you don't live in hilly country.

It really depends on what kind of driving you do in the car as to what to own.

I believe that if I had the cash to buy a C4S or Turbo, I'd do it in a heartbeat and ditch my boxster. Of course, my car is 11 years old and it has 103k on it and continues to need a lot of replacements for the suspension, brakes, etc.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #5

Max, don't think I can help you much here, I feel the same way. I love my car, but next time around I'm not sure if I will buy a new Boxster or a used 911. One of my friends has a C4S and the other has a convertible Carrera. I love the lines of the 911, and it sure would be nice to have 300+ hp and rear seats for the little ones.

On the same lines, I love dropping the top after work for the ride home, but if I went the 911 route I would probably buy a coupe. After autocrossing my car this year I finally realize what an amazing machine it is, and I must say that during the Tail of the Dragon trip I would have been scared of driving a 911 the way we were ripping our Boxster's around the curves.

I guess the only way to make the decision is try and get some seat time in a 911 you would consider purchasing, compare it to the Boxster, and go from there...

http://world-class-motorcars.ebizautos.com/detail-1999-porsche-911-carrera_4-2275264.html

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #6

I'd never try to talk you out of it. The 996 is a terrific car. Yes, the engine is in the "wrong" spot, but that's part of the 911's character, and it's a design element with over 40 years of history behind it. The 996 is very fast, handles extremely well, and looks beautiful (in my humble opinion). How can you go wrong?

Do it!

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i would do it as well.
who doesn't want a 911? and the prices are so low now its getting pretty funny to see people get a loaded Toyota or see other econo box for the same price as a used 911

i would get a C4 for the all wheel drive for winter driving and also keep the box. thats what im planing to do, in the very near future, since my car is paid off
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #8

Nick, I'd really like to drive a C4S or a Turbo (which is also all wheel drive) up and down the Tail of the Dragon to see how it compares to a mid-engine Porsche.

Of course, the best solution for this issue would be to buy a Cayman S. Nearly 300 HP, Lines that are more in keeping with a 997, a hard top for rigidity, and the kids won't enjoy it but one will fit in the front trunk for a while (until the oxygen runs out) and the other can bounce around in the stowage area in the back.

Laugh at my recommendation, but I can't envision a child over the age of 5 wanting to sit in the back of a 997 or 996 for more than ten minutes at a time. There is literally 2-3 inches of leg room between the back of the front seat for the little tyke's scrawny legs.

Those rear seats are there for looks, my friends. Worthless I say, worthless!

Nick, BTW it's now 10.45 and I am now dressed and at the office doing nothing like I was doing earlier this morning when we were sending messages to one another. Geez I love my life and my job!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
bmussatti

Well, if I were only going to own 1 Porsche, I would own what I have,... a Boxster.

If I decide to own 2 Porsches someday, I will probably add the 911 to my Boxster. I really like having both the mid engine and convertible in the same car.

If I ever bought a 911 I would need to go for a much newer one like the 997's were I would get a significant HP increase.

The decission I really need to make in about 3-4 years will be the selection to either buy another Porsche to add to the collection or do an engine (RUF) swap with my current Boxster.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have a 996 C2 & 986 S in the garage.....I've never even thought about driving the 996 since I got my S.

Too me the 986 & 996 are too close to each other to warrant 'upgrading' & such. From a daily drive standpoint the only thing I notice the 996 has on the Boxster is more torque but then that Box has the convertible factor. Granted I haven't tried hauling siblings around in the 996,I'm pretty sure that you can't fit anyone taller than 5 8"(my head hits the roof over bumpers at this height) in the back comfortably. As for a track/auto-x standpoint,couldn't tell ya,I haven't pushed the C2,I'm pretty sure my Dad would get all :troll: if I did that with it.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #11

You "S" guys are in a good spot. I, unfortunetly, opted for a 2.7 when I bought, because of the typical "It's fast enough for me." If I had the extra pop of the 3.2, I wouldn't think of the upgrade. The way I am looking at it though, is to get into a nice S, an engine transplant, a SC, or a TT; I would be spending close to the same amount as a nice 911.

Pro 911:
We have flat roads here, so winding mountains are not even an option. We have no tracks anywhere close to here. I like the 3.4. I like the backseat.

Con 911:
The convertible looks rediculous with the big butt. The engine IS in the wrong spot, the porsche is a third car and the baby will rarely (if ever) use the backseat. I have never had the urge to tote adult friends around. The porsche is Max time. The lines of the boxster are timeles and I think it is the best looking car made.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
A 996 is nice but they still put the motor in the wrong place. I can't say I would never own one but the Cayman is a lot more attractive to me.

I have to second that. Cept it's not a convertible but I still agree. Cayman over 911.
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #13

I really like this :

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #14

Nick, I would love that car, but unfotunetly, it is out of my price range... by about tripple.

If I remember correctly, you were the bama grad. that welcomed me to this sight, well I am about to roll up to t-town for a wild weekend.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #15

I have purchased and sold many 996s in my time. To me, they are vastly overrated in many ways.

IMHO, the Box is simply a better driving car and more fun to boot.

For what it is worth.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #16

996's are for Porsche daddies. That baby-on-board rear seat is the most important thing on the car for that over 40 family guy demographic. If they axed the rear seats and made the 996 a two seater sales would nose dive.
The 996 is also a good pre-emptive strike to avoid the missus demmanding you sell your impractical Pcar.
I would love to have both if I had the space because they are indeed sinking in price quickly. Which is something that should make you want to wait. If you can't wait hold off until after Thanksgiving. That's when you'll get sales guy who want to make a final quarter mad dash push to up their sales numbers and get a bigger bonus.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #17

I have been thinking about a 996 coupe for myself, as the Boxster is really my wife's car. As I've been laying here doing nothing, I've been looking at the plummeting 996 prices and considering actually making a move.

But...a 911 would be in addition to the Boxster, not in place of it. I don't care what the 911 elite say, the Boxster is the better all around car. I might buy myself a Boxster S, but having two would look silly. If money were no object, I'd look at that black Cayman that Nick posted. Sweet.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #18

Talking

Max, Max, Max..... As a local to a local.... why not get what you enjoy and go for it? I think you are just getting a nervous itch to upgrade...but is the grass really any greener?

I started looking at your dilemma last week when I researched the dropping 996 prices compared to my recent S purchase. But, even after feeling a little, "heck I could have had a V8" - (the drink not the engine) - However, I cannot say that I would honestly trade straight up, one for one, to a similar mileage, year or condition 996 for my Boxster. Is that wrong, strange or just twisted? It is just my taste. I just adore the simplicity of the styling, the agility and coolness factor of the Boxster. If you ever want to drive my S to get a feel for the differences and such, you are more than welcome. I know it wouldn't be a technical looks 'upgrade' to just go to a used S from where you are and you probably won't hear anything like "Hey Max, looks like you got a new Porsche" (unless you go to a Guards Red or something) ---- bang for buck, you have a difficult decision to make to convince yourself to stay in the 986 land if you are forking out the cash, and you know you won't be tossing your newborn into the back of your 996 and cruising the causeway all day and night. Maybe a new color S would make you change your mind, Max????

In any case, we still need to take a last-ditch run with our 3 all-black Box's with
Gary in BR! Message me on this!

All the best....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran

meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #19

Go for the 996! The plus is that folks, when they see you pull up, will still think you drive a Boxster

Seriously, it is a different car than the Boxster, but its still a Porsche and its still a great car.

If you think it more rational to say "the kids will fit right in" remember how big a car seat is and how awkward it will be for getting them into it. Not impossible. A friend of mine had a 964 and has many pics of his 2 kids in car seats, in the back of it.

Go for it!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #20

I have a '95 993, an '01 996TT and a '00 986. Thats my personal order of preference.

Go for the 996 if you find one that you like.

tracke30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote