Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #1

Rattle noise rear end

Hi, this has been coverd before but just wanted to get some better advise. I own a 2003 boxster 53,000KM basic and when it warms up to normal operatering temp. it starts to make a rattle tin, viberating nosie in the rear end area.Accerlatering,deccelater,at ilde reving engine its the same noise.Its drives and sound great until it warms up. Its at the dealers now and there trying to find the problem. I have full warrnty from the dealership,but i think the exhuast system is coverd under Porsche warrty for 7 years no?The dealership is a dodge and chrysler dealership.If it does have bad second cats. Porsche warrety pay for the items if found defictive?And dealership warrty well cover labour?And some peeps say it could be the heatshields?

eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
bmussatti

Eomak, I bet it is a bad cat too. Some Forum members have reported to successfuly have these covered by Porsche under warranty. Good luck to you too.

Try searching for some old threads...about 2 months ago.

And why is your Porsche at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership.

Last edited by bmussatti; 10-26-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
bmussatti

Here it is:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13392
Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #4

Thats where i bought the car from ,It came from Cal. They had 3 on the lot.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomak
Thats where i bought the car from ,It came from Cal. They had 3 on the lot.
I just don't think they will know how to fix it...of even have the proper tools.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #6

I have the same problem on my 2002. The last time I had it serviced I asked them to check out the noise and they said they found nothing. Guess what? It still happens! Is there actually a 7 year warranty on the exhaust/cat?
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!

Last edited by johnsonrj74; 10-26-2007 at 02:33 PM.
johnsonrj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #7

Yea my thoughts exalty. I dont think tyhey really want to mess around with it. Before i got the warrty on the car i ask, they said they new how to work on them.The warrnty contract has 38 days left cancelation with good reason and 100% refund.If worse comes to worse. Hopefuly get full refund $5,000 and just buy striaght pipe 2ndary Fabspeed pipes and other upgrades.

Last edited by eomak; 10-26-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #8

For me i think i have tell this year on the car the Porsche factory on everything.I just remeber c'ing or talking about the exhuast has 7years. Not sure.Me too they siad they didnt hear or c anything rong with it and drove it for 15mins. I had to go down there and drive it with the forman and point out the noise at which it started less then 10mins.2hrs later now a still waiting. I just dont think they want to touch it.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #9

Good to know. It goes in for it annual next month so i will try the test drive with staff approach if they still deny there's an issue
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!
johnsonrj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #10

Got the car back. The dealership couldnt pin point the problem and didnt want to start takeing things out or ordering parts and is a interanl exhaust problem so they recomended to take it to a porsche dealership. The warrty i bought is actuly good across canada to any server shop.I thought i had to take to the dearlership i bought the car from to get serviced.The porsche dealership said that the car is no longer under full warrty but the exhuast still can be.I guess it depends if its a clear sign of factory defualt on the exhuast it well be covered from porsche.If not from both warrties i'll guess i just buy the Fabspeed cats buy pass pipes and hopefuly solve the problem.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #11

Bypass pipes just might set off a CE light. Talk to some experienced people before you do this... including those who can advise you on if the car will pass emissions testing.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #12

Glad to hear you may have sorted out the problem. These are sources or rattles in the back I have found:

Bad cat, like others have mentioned

Baffle loose in the muffler

Heat shield buzzing against the frame

If you have a chrome tip on your exhaust and have gone over a curb and kissed the curb, it can bend the chrome muffler tip so that it almost touches the metal under it, and it will buzz. I suspect this last one is just for 2.7L boxsters with the single muffler exhaust with the chrome tip.

Have fun,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote