986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Risky Business (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13884)

NickCats 10-25-2007 06:06 AM

Risky Business

Look what I found on Craig's list :

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/car/453639833.html

Man, if my wife wouldn't kill me, I would be all over this !

Nick

rick3000 10-25-2007 06:18 AM

It's an automatic! :eek:
You either want a 944 because they have better lines than the 928,
or the rare 968 that is essentially a 944 convertible. It is almost criminal there automatics.
Just my $0.02! :cheers:

bmussatti 10-25-2007 06:19 AM

That engine looks sweet!

NickCats 10-25-2007 06:27 AM

Rick,

I would love a manual 928, but they are pretty hard to find and usually $$$ due to their rarity. Also, I had a 1988 924S before the Boxster. I would just love a V8 Porsche - but I have heard the maintenance on the 928 is a killer :eek:

Nick

nola911 10-25-2007 06:30 AM

Maybe she wouldn't notice. At one point last year I had 2 boats and fell in love with another I found on ebay. I thought I could sneak it in without her noticing... not so much. She noticed, and I have since sold one of the older ones.

I bet that car would eat your lunch in minor repair costs. It would be a fun one though!

blinkwatt 10-25-2007 06:54 AM

Too bad that isn't closer to me. I'd put some carrera lightweights on it and call it a day.
http://wheeldynamics.com/928%20S4%201.jpg

Brucelee 10-25-2007 07:10 AM

The 928 is the bomb. And, they make a nice kit to put an LS2 engine in. Imagine 450 HP or so!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

cfos 10-25-2007 08:17 AM

I think the 928 is still one of the most beautiful looking Porsches to date.

super66 10-25-2007 08:36 AM

That's pretty frickin cheap!!!my dad also bought one in 1998,,,,greatest test drive ever....mom talked it out of it and we ended up with a Toyota Celica convertible....awesome car, but no quite the 928 :mad:

how much could they be to maintain?

Grizzly 10-25-2007 09:01 AM

Nick,

Cmon dude, it's five grand! At some point you're gonna have to establish the fact you are the man of the house. No time like the present.

The 928 is a great car. I have a good friend who is the original owner of a 1985 928S. Black over tan. Gorgeous. I prefer the 928 S4 update, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a pre '87 car.

Blink is right. Throw a set of Carrera lightweights on there to update the look, dust off the the Wayfarers and cruise. Sometimes you have to say "What the f**k".

Perfectlap 10-25-2007 09:44 AM

I don't like that color. Makes it look dated.

Needs to be Black, Red or Silver...Remember Tony Montana's silver one in Scarface? He jumps into as his get away car after surviving the hit men at the Babylon club. The 928 headlights pop up and speeds away to get the Don's woman and open up a can of payback. Al Pacino's greatest role, yeah I saw Godfather 100X's. Tony is still better than Michael Corleone.

I'm not sure about the 911 wheels on a 928. Looks very cool to the average guy but kind of a Porsche no no.

RandallNeighbour 10-25-2007 10:38 AM

My mechanic (Hans) said he'd love for me to buy a 928S or better, a 928S4...

Said he could close his business and just work on my car for me and he could retire off the money he'd make. Said the cars are chock-full of maintenance items to be done all the time and are always requiring repairs.

I gotta say though that I loved the interior of that car. The whole instrument cluster rises and falls with the tilt steering wheel.

Amazing.

If I ever get really rich and have room for extra cars, I'll buy one of these "spaceship" Porsches for my collection (that's what I called the car in high school).

NickCats 10-25-2007 10:59 AM

Blink - nice ride !

Griz - there is definitely a boss in the house, and it ain't me ;)

PL - Scarface rocks ! Even the PS2 game of Scarface is better then the Godfather game...

Now if I could just find one of these I'd be really stylin' :

Perfectlap 10-25-2007 11:21 AM

^ That was Manny's car, Tony wasn't that tacky...tiger stripes..pffffft.

I'll have to break out my copy of Scarface, I recall in the movie Tony's scoffs when the Porsche of Miami salesman tells him how much the 928 was running back then in 1982.

NickCats 10-25-2007 11:50 AM

SALESMAN - Twenty-eight thousand dollars. Fully equipped.

TONY - (genuinely) That all?

SALESMAN - Machine gun turrets are extra.

TONY - (circling the car) Funny guy hunh...Manny, c'mere.

Manny comes over and Tony walks him along the car, in quieter tones.

TONY - Get these sections bullet-proofed...here...here.. .these windows....Yeah.

TONY - ...and a phone with a scrambler.okay....

TONY - ...And one of those radio scanners, y'know, pick out flying saucers and stuff. Yeah a good one.

ELVIRA - (joining them) Don't forget the fog lights.

TONY - Yeah in case I go to the swamps, Good idea.

Perfectlap 10-25-2007 12:08 PM

how did you do that? bet you can't do this one:

Marlon Brando playing the Godfather orders Johnny Fontana to quit crying and "start acting like a man!!!". (we were doing that impression because we had to make fun of this guy for whining about losing his parking spot).

NickCats 10-25-2007 12:20 PM

JOHNNY (as Tom quietly enters the Don's office)

A month ago he bought the movie rights to this book. A bestseller -- and the main character,

it's a guy just like me. I uh -- I wouldn't even have to act -- just be myself. Oh, Godfather, I

don't know what to do. I don't know what to do.

VITO CORLEONE

You can act like a man!

(then, after slapping Johnny on the face)

What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood

finocchio that ah cries like a woman?

(then imitating Johnny, as Tom giggles)

What can I do?! What can I do?!

(then)

What is that nonsense? Ridiculous.

unklekraker 10-25-2007 12:23 PM

Nick..I'm so freaking impress!

Is this what happen after you get married and disappear out of the forum for awhile..you have become a scriptwriter :D :D :D

Grizzly 10-25-2007 01:04 PM

The Caddy was definitely Tony's car. He went to buy the Porsche specifically because Elvira didn't like the Caddy.

Maybe not perfectly but...

Elvira - In that thing? You must be kidding.

Tony - What you talking about? That's a Cadillac.

Elvira - I wouldn't be caught dead in that.

Tony - Come on. You know, I mean, it's got a few years,
but it's a cream puff.

Elvira - It looks like somebody's nightmare.

...and off to the Porsche Dealer they go.

steve00s 10-25-2007 01:54 PM

Here's a picture of my 928 S4. They are a very fun car to cruise around in and it did surprisingly well on the autocross course. There is just something about the V-8 rumble that I love and to have it in a Porsche that can take corners is unreal. The automatic sucks though. If you are interested in getting the most out of this car the manual is the only way to go. The automatic just doesn't work. No matter what you do the car will shift up before you are ready. It is almost impossible to get into the sweet power range above 5000 RPM. I think there are mods that can override some of that but the stock setup is awful.

Also, the maintenance can be expensive especially if the car has been neglected. A lot of these cars are selling cheap because the repairs are as much as the car is worth. The interiors are also prone to trim panels warping. The early models also are lacking some of the throw you back in the seat HP (late 70's, early 80's). The S4 which came out in 1987 was rated at about 320hp and has the factory wing which I think looks way better than the wraparound rear lip. Also, this was the fastest production car in the world in 1987. Set a record on the salt flats. Aside from the mainenance, you would be hard pressed to find more car for the money. If my S4 had a manual transmission I'd supercharge it and it would be the last car I ever owned.