Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
blkboxster

Ebay update

The cars already at $18,100. just letting u guys know

Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

I've always wondered who'd be brave and/or dumb enough to buy a car on ebay. Have you had people looking at it locally before bidding? Do they ask questions and ask for an inspection? Who are these people?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i bought mine trough ebay.
well saw it there, seller ended auction, and it was completed without ebay.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #4

Interesting 30-day history on your high bidder u***c. In that time they've bid on over a dozen cars (or parts) of all different makes and appear to like trailers, jeans, and Tiffany jewelry. Some sort of dealer?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=230183984643&aid=u***c&eu=kKyYp%2BlIxQ2uf%2FuxcXpHKw%3D%3D&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewItem Link
Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I've always wondered who'd be brave and/or dumb enough to buy a car on ebay. Have you had people looking at it locally before bidding? Do they ask questions and ask for an inspection? Who are these people?
I bought mine on ebay. My thinking was this: People down in New Orleans do not take care of anything. It is almost impossible to. The roads are terrible, the city is filthy, the drivers are horrendous (and even worse when they park next to you), it get's a lot of sun, and it had a hurricane. Most people where I live commute to New Orleans daily for work.

I bought it from a house wife. A very wealthy and meticulous one, at that. They kept the car waxed and in a garage and had every single record. The husband listed it on ebay because she went out and bought a new car and the dealership wouldn't give her anything on trade. The deal was, I would meet them at the airport, If I liked the car, I would pay them and be on my way, if not, I would have taken a one day vacation. I loved it, and drove it all the way home that day.

The upper hand that you have on ebay over local lots is there is no dealer markup, and a real person often will let you leave with it at a discount so they can move on.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
I've always wondered who'd be brave and/or dumb enough to buy a car on ebay.
Lots of people because people like blkboxster sell their cars there. There are a few scammers out there but most transactions are between guys like you and me. I bought a car on Ebay (I buy lots of things on Ebay) and it was a great experience. One should certainly proceed with caution and understand the risks before venturing there but it can be a great place to get a bargain.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Did you guys who bought your cars on ebay have it inspected? Did you just trust the description? I wouldn't fathom buying a car without driving it first or at least having someone that I trust look it over. Not worth the risk in my mind.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #8

If the car is not as described, you don't have to buy it.. And if you were going to buy a car on ebay, exercise the same caution you would as if you were buying a car a few states away: If you can't see it in person, agree to have it inspected by a dealer before pickup or shipping, or you agree that you only accept it if you like it on inspection.

Worst you're out is a few bucks for a plane ticket. It's no scarier than dealing with someone on this forum or craigslist.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
It's no scarier than dealing with someone on this forum or craigslist.
I don't agree.

Flying out to look at a car costs aheluva lot more than driving over to someone's house to see if the car's as good as advertised.

If you're not familiar with the area that the seller lives, how do you know who to trust to do the PPI? There are bad dealer service departments out there. And how do you know if you actually like driving the car? Maybe you can't get comfortable in it, or maybe the ride is too hard or the exhaust is too loud. I've seen (and taken) pictures of cars that look great, but in person, it's not so great. Light oxidation and minor dings and dents in the body simply don't show up in pictures.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #10

I bought mine on Ebay, but it was just over an hour away in Sacramento. I drove up to see it before bidding. We ended up making a deal on the spot. I left a deposit, we agreed on a price. I clicked "buy it now" to end the auction, but he and I had a written agreement for the price we had negotiated (which was lower than the buy it now price). He wanted to go ahead and complete the sale on E-bay, since he thought it would be good for his selling history.

It was the first item I've ever bought from Ebay.

I didn't pay anyone else to do a PPI, since I own a small motorcycle shop, wrench for a living, and knew what to look for. That, and the owner was a really nice guy and had under-sold the car on his e-bay listing. The miles were slightly lower than what he said, the condition was much nicer than it appeared in the photos.

I've been extremely happy with the car.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #11
mts

I too have purchased cars from ebay. You talk to the seller, look at the description, look at the details and the vehicle, and look at the feedback of the seller. It's not hard to find a good honest deal if you have some common sense.

Sure, there are some scammers out there, but they are pretty easy to spot for the most part. Personally, I'd rather buy something from ebay where the seller has say 100+ transactions and near perfect feedback than from Joe Schmo locally sometimes.

Different strokes I guess.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #12

I bought my boxster on eBay and I will never do it again without a PPI done on the car before I buy it, which MUST include a four wheel alignment.

In fact, I will never buy another car used or new without a laser four wheel alignment. It shows frame damage that cannot be visually inspected.

The guy who sold it to me used his dad's dealer license to buy it at the Miami auction and had no history on the car.

Upsides? It had a brand new engine put in it the week before it went into the auction.
Downsides? The car was in bad shape otherwise. Tranny needed replacement, front sub frame was bent, etc.

I was an idiot back then, and I did not have a PPI done on the car before driving it home from Miami to Houston. I had the cash and the green light from the wife, so I found the car in the color I wanted and BAM, bought it.

I wish I could have said I was a teenager with no experience, but I was too emotional and not rational enough. Ebay brings that out in a lot of people.

Next pre-owned Porsche will be a CPO car. I want Porsche to pay for their crappy plastic parts, IMS failure and RMS leaks for a few years on the next go-round.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Next pre-owned Porsche will be a CPO car. I want Porsche to pay for their crappy plastic parts, IMS failure and RMS leaks for a few years on the next go-round.

Except, Porsche is smart enough to exclude the crappy plastic parts from their CPO warranty...

Good luck with the eBay sale. I've sold two cars on eBay, and I am selling a third now. The prior two were just like running an ad in the paper. People came to see the car to kick the tires, etc.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Dumb??? That's kind of harsh. I have sold 2 cars on eBay and bought 3 in the past year. Comparative to local dealer pricing I saved appr $5,000 on my Boxster, $7,000 on my wife's Audi and about $7,000 on my AMG. As a matter of fact one of the local dealers has just listed a car exactly like my wife's Audi on "sale" for almost the same price we paid 9 months and 12,000 miles ago. Local dealers here will always ask near or above KBB and try and squeeze you for every last dollar. I have found it is much better to shop in larger markets where the cars are not considered to be so exotic. All my cars were bought withy plenty of factory warranty left so there is really no worries there. One was bought from a Porsche/Audi dealer and the other 2 were from dealers who deal strictly in high end sports cars. You can check somebody out pretty thouroughly if you want and having eBay behind you is not a bad thing. When you walk into a dealer you are flying solo and if you ever read those papers you sign you'll find that you have little or no recourse other than what is mandated by state law. In my case I wouldn't buy a car from someone with less than 99% positive feedbacks. A plane ticket and inspection is well worth the gamble in my opinion. In all three cases I didn't give the dealer a dime until I was satisfied that the cars were tip top. You have to have an inspection or really know what you are getting into. Most dealers on eBay know this and are willing to agree to one. If they don't you walk away. That simple.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #15

I've purchased two cars on ebay ..an 03 Ford Escape and the Boxster, and sold one, my 79 911. Both purchases were from dealers, the Escape from a ford dealer somewhere in PA (I forget where exactly) and the Boxster from a used car dealer in Pittsburgh. Both cars and both transactions went exceedingly well, with no problems or unexpected issues. I flew to Pittsburgh, got a PPI done at a dealer and drove it home. Both were under factory warranty when I bought them so that helped my mindset a little. You DO need to do a lot of research before buying, not only to check out the seller but the car. I talked to both of them quite a bit on the phone before making the deals. I got tons of photos from each of them, photos that weren't on their ad. I know that photos can be manipulated but they were useful anyway. And no money changed hands until I personally saw, drove and had inspected each vehicle. If the seller won't agree to those tems, walk away. THere's always another one out there. BTW.. the Escape was about $5,500 less than the asking prices locally for that same vehicle. The 250 air fare, one night's motel room, gas, food and two days on the road, were farrrrrr cheaper than trying to deal here. Similar analysis for the Box.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #16

Quote:
I don't agree.

Flying out to look at a car costs aheluva lot more than driving over to someone's house to see if the car's as good as advertised.

If you're not familiar with the area that the seller lives, how do you know who to trust to do the PPI? There are bad dealer service departments out there. And how do you know if you actually like driving the car? Maybe you can't get comfortable in it, or maybe the ride is too hard or the exhaust is too loud. I've seen (and taken) pictures of cars that look great, but in person, it's not so great. Light oxidation and minor dings and dents in the body simply don't show up in pictures.

Eh, If I'm serious about a car enough that I'm going to drop 15-40k on it (aggregate price of used boxes), I'm not going to be concerned with spending $250 on a plane ticket to make sure that the car is exactly what I'm expecting. As everyone says, if they don't agree to let you get a PPI and a personal inspection before you pay, then don't bid on that auction. Find someone else, anyone selling a car on ebay should be expecting those conditions.

Now, if you just blindly click "BUY IT NOW" with no talking to the user at all, agreeing to whatever terms are listed in the auction then yeah, it'll be scary
Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
Eh, If I'm serious about a car enough that I'm going to drop 15-40k on it (aggregate price of used boxes), I'm not going to be concerned with spending $250 on a plane ticket to make sure that the car is exactly what I'm expecting. As everyone says, if they don't agree to let you get a PPI and a personal inspection before you pay, then don't bid on that auction. Find someone else, anyone selling a car on ebay should be expecting those conditions.

Now, if you just blindly click "BUY IT NOW" with no talking to the user at all, agreeing to whatever terms are listed in the auction then yeah, it'll be scary
Again, to me, that's not a valid argument. When I look at cars, I don't just pick one and go for it without shopping around, that's like automatically only buying the banana at the end of the row at the grocery store without even looking at the others.

Again, a PPI is only as good as the shop/dealer doing the work, without knowledge of the shop or area, how do you know you can trust the PPI? You can reduce risk, of course, and you can be casual and get stung on a local purchase too, but in general, buying from a great distance is a bigger risk.