Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #1

Kill Switch...

Anybody ever make a switch for their car to turn off the fuel pump kinda as an anti theft type thing??

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
boggtown

Not that I know of... But that is a good (paranoid) idea. Im sure all youd need to do if make an inline circuit to the fuel pump, and hide the switch somewhere in the cabin.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You mean like the emergency cutof switches they install in track cars. If you really wanted to they sell kits, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #4

I'd say if you know the right wires it would only be a 20 min. install. Are our porsches hard to steal? I just moved to a bigger city and although it is in a parking garage I still don't feel like its safe.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #5

This may sound silly, but in the garage see if you can have a space next to someone who leaves lots of stuff in their car. Either that or park next to a Turbo. Any car can be stolen by someone who knows what they're doing. Half the battle is making another vehicle look more attractive than yours.

For the last two years I parked overnight in downtown Dallas next to a pharmaceutical rep who left everything from clothes to drugs in her car. The result: her VW broken into four times; my Porsche never.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #6

I did this on my old car, 400hp s13. The car was so easy to break into it's ridiculous so I figured I would just leave it unlocked and let someone try to figure out how to start it.

The way I did it was by cutting the wire that went from the ecu to fuel pump relay. The ecu would ground the relay in order to prime the lines, then ground fulltime when the engine was starting/on. I used a 2 pole switch hidden in a certain location to manually ground the fuel pump relay.

So, whenever I got in the car I had to put the key to the on position and wait a few seconds, then start it, because the relay was no longer controlled by the ecu, just by the ignition and switch.

When I parked somewhere shady, I would just wait until the turbo timer counted down then flip my little hidden switch over. If someone tries to start the car the fuel pump will do nothing whatsoever.

If I were to do it again, I would switch the power wire to the pump and not the ground, so the priming function would still be activated by the ecu, but even if the ecu was telling the pump to run, it wouldn't be getting any power unless the kill switch was on.
JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah i had this on my old car, i made it a trick that it can only be turned on when you insert the key and put the rear defroster on.

it was pretty funny at work i would tell people that they cant turn my car on even if i gave them the key, stood back and laughed haha
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
bmussatti

I don't think our cars are either stolen very often or easy to steal because in general vs. other like sports cars our insurance rates are lower. Now I know insurance rates have many factors that effect rates, but I think my statement has some validity.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMD
I did this on my old car, 400hp s13. The car was so easy to break into it's ridiculous so I figured I would just leave it unlocked and let someone try to figure out how to start it.

The way I did it was by cutting the wire that went from the ecu to fuel pump relay. The ecu would ground the relay in order to prime the lines, then ground fulltime when the engine was starting/on. I used a 2 pole switch hidden in a certain location to manually ground the fuel pump relay.

So, whenever I got in the car I had to put the key to the on position and wait a few seconds, then start it, because the relay was no longer controlled by the ecu, just by the ignition and switch.

When I parked somewhere shady, I would just wait until the turbo timer counted down then flip my little hidden switch over. If someone tries to start the car the fuel pump will do nothing whatsoever.

If I were to do it again, I would switch the power wire to the pump and not the ground, so the priming function would still be activated by the ecu, but even if the ecu was telling the pump to run, it wouldn't be getting any power unless the kill switch was on.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of! Me actually getting around to doing it is another story LOL

Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #10

According to CCC Information Services Inc. the 2001 BMW M Roadster is the most stolen vehicle of 2005 based on the rate of theft for a vehicle as a percentage of the total number registered :

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=2891

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #11

If they bust your door, windows, or top, then rip your dash apart to steal it, you might as well let it go. You need to make a claim either way, and insurance pays pretty good.

I had a truck stolen a few years ago, the insurance process was quick and painless. I was paid off before they found it, and from what I am told, I wouldn't have wanted it back.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote