Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #1

Canadian Buyers

Has anybody from Canada bought a car in the US? I am selling my car and live near the border. With the exchange rate at par it would be a good deal for both parties as cars generally sell for much higher in Canada. If its not too big of a hassle to import a used car from the US to Canada I'm going to place some ads there. How big a deal is it to import a vehicle?

ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

For you? No more real trouble than selling to your neighbour.
If the buyer cannot see the car in person, he will want you do have a PPI done at a Porsche dealership and send more photos than normal. You may have to get him a recall letter (explaining that there are no recalls) from Porsche although he can actually do it himself (free of charge).
You may also have to fax your title to him to prove it's clear and to the border (there is a 72 hour waiting period before the car can cross).
If he has it transported into Canada, you will have an appointment with the trucking company who do a before and after shipping inspection.

that's about it! Good luck!
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #3

Don't expect to get that much more for you car necessarily. First there are are a number of fees for the buyer has to pay:

federal and provincial taxes (up to 14%), 6.1% duty, inspections, mods (daylights and km/h speedo), registrar of motor vehicles fees depends on province, transport... and you are competing with the rest of the USA (literally thousands of Boxsters for sale) for canadian buyers.

Cheers!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the great information.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #5

It seems like the Speedo change is only an issue in Quebec. Everyone I've met from the rest of Canada can get away with the digital speedo switch to km/h. In Quebec, they insist on the dial change.
You can get away with a gauge face change for less and 100$ if you're willing to risk pulling off the fragile needle. At worse you'll have to get the needle motor replaced. I heard of a place in California that does it for 200$ or so. There are some threads on this stuff in here if you need it.