Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #1

Does anyone know how to adjust the front hood latch?

I have HEARD a "bump" noise coming from the hood since I purchased my 2002 Boxster S in July 07 and its driving me crazy. Every time I hit the slightest bump in the road I notice it..I think its the hood latch that needs to be adjusted because it doesnt sit 100% down when latched. Every other car I have owned, when you open the hood..then drop it down... will latch into place upon a light drop. However, my Boxster hood requires a second "push down" to lock it down..and its still not 100% closed. Is this typical? I bought the Bentley book and there is no instruction as to how to adjust the hood. They mention 2 screws. BUT NEITHER allow any ADJUSTMENT of the height or depth. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited by rpeck; 10-20-2007 at 05:52 AM.
rpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The second "push" is normal. I normally drop it, then push on the Porsche crest to close it all the way. I am not sure whether or not it can be adjusted but I would try looking around in the trunk. Is the spare tire secured tightly, is the stereo amplifier loose, and is the battery secured?
Just some things to think about!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:37 AM   #3

Some things I might check before adjusting the hood are whether or not the spare tire and battery are both secured properly. If not, tighten them down and see if it cures the problem.

If not, yes, the hood closing height is adjustable - but if you're not getting a whistle noise above 40-50mph, then your hood's alignment is correct, just the buffer zone is not. Therefore, I recommend you only loosen (counterclockwise 1/2 to 1 full turn) the black rubber stops (2 - one each side) in the forward most corner of the hood. Maybe a little more if necessary, but shouldn't be too much. Close hood gently to make sure they clear and tweak as needed.

So, if you still want to adjust the hood's height, there are two nuts for the latch in the trunk. First, you need to remove the black plastic cover near the hood latch (see front bumper removal in the Bentley). It requires turning two (maybe four - I can't recall) black plastic heads 90 degrees and then lifting it out around the red latch for hood release. Then, pull back the carpet lining in the trunk and on the front side, you'll see two 10mm nuts. Just loosen both and slide the latch down a hair and retighten. Before you close your hood to test, make sure you adjust (screw in clockwise) the rubber stops on the hood's corner

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote