Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #1

Ordering A New Boxster

After looking for that perfect used Boxster, I've given up and decided to order a 2008. I read the info on ordering from 986faq.com and it looks like it's about 10 years old and wonder if it's still relevant. Specifically, I'd like to know what the deadline is to place an order for a Spring 2008 delivery?

Also, any gotcha's I should be aware of when ordering or picking up the vehicle?

baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The 986faq stuff is mostly for 986 Boxsters.
Go to your local dealer, they will more than happy to help you with their projected commission on a new Porsche. The arrival time and stuff is also mostly dealer location specific.
Hope that helps a bit!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #3

Thanks rick. I did go to my local dealer, but they weren't real forthcoming with the ordering deadline dates..... and a few other things. They were trying to imply that "I'd better order now or I'd miss out".

After getting the run-around from them, I decided to ask here to uncover as much as possible about the process before I actually go through it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #4

Have you looked for new Boxsters already in inventory? A quick search on AutoTrader found over 500 2007 & 2008 new Boxsters throughout the US. Heck, there are even 16 new 2006s available. You should be able to make a great deal on one that a dealer already has, especially with cold weather coming. I'll bet you can get a tremendous deal on an 06. They're now 2 yrs old.

Never hurts to look. Ordering will get you the exact color / options you want but greatly reduces your ability to negotiate.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
bmussatti

Baseball, here is how it works. You need to find a dealership with an open Build Allocation for a Boxster with a Spring 2008 delivery.

Let's assume you want the car in April 2008. The car will ship to the USA in approx. March...and will be built in approx. February. So you need an Open Build allocation for February 2008. If you want the car in March, then the Build Allocation is January.

Ordering a car is great. I did it and would do it again. Main reasons being:

1) You get exactly what you want
2) Nothing you don't want
3) No one did any test drives in your new Porsche

Have fun. Congrats!!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #6

i'd strongly recommend the euro delivery if you can. from what i've heard, you basically get a free trip to germany to bond with your new car before having it shipped here.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
i'd strongly recommend the euro delivery if you can. from what i've heard, you basically get a free trip to germany to bond with your new car before having it shipped here.
Yes, good idea, but I don't know about being "free". The option costs over $1,500 and you still have to respect the proper engine break-in proceedure- keeping below 4,200 RPM's.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/eventsandracing-europeandelivery/
Old 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #8

I'm also going to order an '08 for delivery in the spring. I can't find the "perfect" used one and I really don't want it until spring anyway. The dealer I spoke with told me not to rush and call him around Christmas.

My wife and I wanted to do the European delivery, but figure that trying to coordinate a European trip with proposed build times with be stressful. I'm also not thrilled with the idea of break in Europe. I'd rather do it here.

-Dan
danr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #9

I don't know why one would pay $60K for a brand new boxster when you can get a 996 Turbo with roughly 20K miles for $10K more. My dad picked up an 01 Turbo with 10K miles for $70K from the largest Porsche dealer in NA, Champion. Just my opinion.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
I don't know why one would pay $60K for a brand new boxster when you can get a 996 Turbo with roughly 20K miles for $10K more. My dad picked up an 01 Turbo with 10K miles for $70K from the largest Porsche dealer in NA, Champion. Just my opinion.
Let's see....

1) A warranty
2) 19,999 less miles
3) $10,000 less
4) Convertible
5) Mid engine
6) I know I did a proper engine break-in procedure
7) Seven years of updated Porsche technology- safety and performance

Last edited by bmussatti; 10-20-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #11

Baseball, one thing I will do when buying a new Pcar is having a tech hook up a PST tool to it BEFORE I SIGN THE PAPERS to recored the number of stage one and stage two redlines the engine has on it.

This way, if the engine blows, Porsche can't tell you they're not paying for it because you redlined it.

If the engine doesn't blow, it's a good way to record a baseline so you know how you and anyone else has driven the car.

If it does have a bunch of stage two redlines, you can refuse to take delivery of the car. One overly zealous drive in your brand new car by a salesman or tech or a porter pegging it repeatedly is really bad for a brand new engine, but they could care less because it's not their car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Let's see....

1) A warranty
2) 19,999 less miles
3) $10,000 less
4) Convertible
5) Mid engine
6) I know I did a proper engine break-in procedure
7) Seven years of updated Porsche technology- safety and performance
300 extra hp I guess cancels that out for me. Call me crazy but, to each their own. BTW, you can get a Turbo Cab, maybe not for 10K extra but, I'm a fan of hardtops. I got what I could afford, if I had my pick it would be a hardtop 993. Warranty doesn't mean sheit to me, I've had my car for almost a year trouble free, so that's just like insurance to me...meaningless. But, if you guys are about that, rock on.

A $60K Boxster, I'd never buy. A $25K Boxster, sure. Turbo would woop your ass around the track but, go on thinking the Boxster is superior to the Turbo.

Warrenty's are for suckers, imo.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 10-20-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Baseball, one thing I will do when buying a new Pcar is having a tech hook up a PST tool to it BEFORE I SIGN THE PAPERS to recored the number of stage one and stage two redlines the engine has on it.

This way, if the engine blows, Porsche can't tell you they're not paying for it because you redlined it.

If the engine doesn't blow, it's a good way to record a baseline so you know how you and anyone else has driven the car.

If it does have a bunch of stage two redlines, you can refuse to take delivery of the car. One overly zealous drive in your brand new car by a salesman or tech or a porter pegging it repeatedly is really bad for a brand new engine, but they could care less because it's not their car.

Hey Randall, just a side note, on the 987 (not sure about the 986) there are actually 6 (six) ranges on the DME that record ignitions for that range. I don't know what they all mean. I wish someone could tell me.

At my last oil change, just last week (I love that new oil "feeling"!), I asked for a print-out from my DME. The tech gave it to me and reviewed it with me. He said everything was fine.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #14

Quote:
A $60K Boxster, I'd never buy. A $25K Boxster, sure. Turbo would woop your ass around the track but, go on thinking the Boxster is superior to the Turbo.

Warrenty's are for suckers, imo.

Is this thread a debate about a new Boxster vs a 7 year old turbo? Sorry if I'm wrong for being a newbie, but isn't this thread about "ordering a new Boxster"?

Besides, did the OP say anything about taking his car to the track? Maybe he is looking for the perfect all around car. I know that is what I'm looking for. And why would anyone pay $70K for a 7 year old used car. That seems silly to me. IMHO

-Dan

Last edited by danr1707; 10-21-2007 at 03:06 AM.
danr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:14 AM   #15

I, for one, am just a tad jealous that someone gets to walk into a dealership and sit down with a salesman and say, "I WANT TO ORDER A PORSCHE WITH . . ."

That's the kind of thing this 12 year old boy trapped in a 45 year old's body dreams of most nights.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #16

You'll save a lot of $ if you find one on a dealer lot that matches your criteria and you can break it in while driving it home. If you have time, you can go through inventory of every dealer in the usa on porsche.com/usa. Or, you can work with a local dealer and they can do a national search using your exact criteria. You might get a few extras and you might pay shipping but you'll save overall versus ordering. Use dealer search by state on porsche.com/usa and then click into each dealer to see their inventory.

If you decide to order, biggest thing is to secure your build slot with the dealer. Slots are allocated by month and then assigned a specific complete date approx 1 month in advance. Customer-ordered cars get production priority and so they are usually completed within the first week or so of the month built. After that, 4-6 weeks for delivery.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Are those 996 lights and a turbo bumper cover on your 986?
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr1707
Is this thread a debate about a new Boxster vs a 7 year old turbo? Sorry if I'm wrong for being a newbie, but isn't this thread about "ordering a new Boxster"?

Besides, did the OP say anything about taking his car to the track? Maybe he is looking for the perfect all around car. I know that is what I'm looking for. And why would anyone pay $70K for a 7 year old used car. That seems silly to me. IMHO

-Dan
ok fair enough, sorry. Just giving my .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choeglund
Are those 996 lights and a turbo bumper cover on your 986?
yes and fenders also.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #19

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Randall, what's the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 redlines? And does Porsche have language in the warranty that limits their liability in the event the car has these redlines in its history?

About leftovers, I was going to go down that road. However my search (which includes a 300 mile radius of dealers around my home), has uncovered something many dealers are reluctant to admit. All the 07 left-overs I've found have an in-service date of 7/31/2007. The in-service date is when the warranty starts, so if you buy a leftover, you may not get the complete warranty. One dealer stated that Porsche forces the in-service date on them - I don't know if that's true or not, but it's something to look out for if you're in the market for a leftover.

So far, the best price I've negotiated on a leftover was $985 under invoice. But when I did some analysis on the depreciation, lost warranty, etc. it turns out that's not a very good deal (to me anyway). But I wanted to put that out there so anyone looking for a leftover has a good baseline to start negotiating with.

I've found dealers with open slots for Jan, Feb, Mar, and Apr. My reason for trying to find the latest date that I can place an order for each of those slots, is so I can increase my negotiating leverage with the dealer. I will find out those dates, and when I do, I'll let everyone know to help out others looking to order.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #20

I don't know about $60k for a new boxster.

So far the preliminary quotes I've received for an 08 Boxster with:
Bose
18" S Wheels
Windstop
Heated Seats
Climate Control
PCM

Have all been under 50K.... not much under, but I haven't even really begun to negotiate with them yet.