Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #1

About to buy an 02, just did PPI...

I've been reading on here for a while and I'm about to buy my first porsche. I just did an inspection at the Porsche dealer. They didn't check the alignment like suggested in that one guys article, but I had no choice, they were non-negotiable.

Everything came back good as far as mechanical condition, but the car needs a lot of maintenance. It's a seal gray 2002 2.7 with 72,000 miles. The owner is not too flexible on the price, but I'm concerned with some of the necessary maintenance.

- Front rotors past spec, rear rotors .5mm away from being out of spec
- Needs and alignment
- brake fluid needs to be replaced
- front tires not far from wear indicators
- light bulbs, small crap

Where is the best place to buy rotors? I just want something as good as OE for the best price.

JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
That stuff it normal stuff that can all be DIY'ed easily except the tire change and alignment, I bought my cross drilled and slotted zimmerman rotors from ebay, you can always email the sellers like i do and asked for a lower price including shipping. i bought a set of 4 for $310 shipped but warped them cause i over torqued the wheel bolts

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #3

Just one note: If you know that it needs an alignment, and the dealer wouldn't do one for you as part of the PPI ?????, then get one done!

It may be hiding subframe damage... I actually had an alignment done on my car a few months ago just to make sure everything was okay, and I kept the receipt/report to show to people interested in the car...

As an aside, all of that stuff is pretty minor except the alignment... I consider tires a wear item myself, and I've never really been concerned about them when buying a car from a private party. I'd be more worried about it from a dealer.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #4

Josh,

$287.07 for front pads and rotors ( OE ) at Sunset Imports :

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13151

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12911

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
bmussatti

Josh, good job doing the PPI. Very smart.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #6

02 with 72k? That car has definitely been driven. I'd make absolutely sure to get a laser alignment before I bought and be sure that thing hasn't seen more than just a lot of road in its time..

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMD
I've been reading on here for a while and I'm about to buy my first porsche. I just did an inspection at the Porsche dealer. They didn't check the alignment like suggested in that one guys article, but I had no choice, they were non-negotiable.

Everything came back good as far as mechanical condition, but the car needs a lot of maintenance. It's a seal gray 2002 2.7 with 72,000 miles. The owner is not too flexible on the price, but I'm concerned with some of the necessary maintenance.

- Front rotors past spec, rear rotors .5mm away from being out of spec
- Needs and alignment
- brake fluid needs to be replaced
- front tires not far from wear indicators
- light bulbs, small crap

Where is the best place to buy rotors? I just want something as good as OE for the best price.
Use these maintenance issues in your negotiations with the seller. Tires w/alignment will be the greatest expense. There are a ton of cars for sale and seal gray isn't exactly rare. Unless he's already got a smoking price be ready to move on.

At the same time, these are regular maintenance items no sign of a major issue.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
02 with 72k? That car has definitely been driven. I'd make absolutely sure to get a laser alignment before I bought and be sure that thing hasn't seen more than just a lot of road in its time..

-David
but look at the 'problems'.
its been driven like it was meant to and just needs tires and brakes. sweet.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree definitely get the alignment checked. If the guy isn't flexible on the price and is selling it with so many things that need fixing perhaps there is big problem he is trying to avoid paying to repair by selling it. If you have to walk away there is always another one.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #10

I'm not 100% convinced about the recommendation to include an alignment in a PPI. If the alignment is out of spec, that should show up in uneven tire wear and should be readily apparent, unless the tires are new. I'm mean if money is no object, then hell yeah, throw it in there.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #11

My Experience

I bought a 200 Boxster with 75K on it last month. Because of the high mileage and the fact I am buying it from a used car dealer (I don't trust them), I took it to Porsche Dealer for a PPI. I was glad that the inspection reveals no big issues except that it requires some TLC. I guess it is normal for any high mileage Porsche. So far, I have changed the air filter, cabin filter and spark plugs (All DIY). The car drives like a charm and I am looking forward to driving it more until it becomes too cold here in Boston. Next thing on my list is to change both rear tires and the brake pads.
ichiro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #12

I bought the car.

I got it for trade-in value (kbb) because the WOMAN selling it needed to pay it off so she could start marketing her book she just finished, so it was a pretty good deal I think.

I can change the brakes myself, brake fluid, nearly all other maintenance on the car as I have experience rebuilding engines on other cars. (just sold a 400hp s13, that I built from the ground up)

The tires and alignement don't concern me becuase I will be upgrading the wheels and tires soon, and I will get the alignement done once I get to that stage. The guy at Porsche said steering wheel was slightly to the left, but the car drove perfectly. It doesn't bother me really because it's barely off.

I got under the car and looked at everything when it was on the lift at Porsche. I checked all the suspension arms, bushings, frame, etc to look for signs of accidents, saw nothing. The carfax is 100% clean.

I'll take some pics once i get her washed and detailed and post them up on here.

BTW if anyone knows and good shops/resources in the Atlanta area, let me know.
JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #13

Josh,

Congrats on your purchase. Look forward to seeing the pics...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote