Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

spare keys for a 1998 Boxster

Hello,
I just bought my first 1998 Boxster and it is quite a leap from a 92 Mazda Miata MX5. What took me so long!
Anyway, I only received 1 FOB key with the car and I found out that the dealers need about $160 for a new key ( with chip transponder) and from $0 to $160 to program the car/key. I like to have a few spare keys around but at that price I can think of a few other things to spend on to improve the machine.

Is that the only solution to purchasing new keys? It being a 1998 with 45000 miles, and spending about $14K, I am not overly worried about key recognition from a theft standpoint.
If there are any simpler/cheaper solutions for these older cars, let me know.

Regards, Bob

robert scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
boggtown

no
try ebay for a new uncut key with BARCODE.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can buy a used key as long as it has the white label with the information needed for the dealer to set it up to your car, check eBay.
I went to a local key maker with a laser key maker and had him make me a spare key. It was $40 and can be used to get into and out of the car but it doesn't have the immobilizer chip so the car will be immobilized if you try to start car with it. But it's great for surfing.