Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
boxsterz

oem muffler hack

In a quest to find more power without the drone associated in aftermarket mufflers, I found this picture:

Does anyone have info on the Korda mod, NLA? What the details are?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
See where the arrow from #3 is pointing? That's where you want to cut. You don't have to cut the muffler open; you don't even need to remove it from the car. Pull the rear bumper cover, then disconnect the pipes going from the cats to the muffler. Using a cutting wheel on a Dremmel extension, an air chisel, or whatever you can manage to fit into the muffler intake pipe, cut holes in the pipe. Do this on both sides. The more you open it up, the louder it will be.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 AM   #3

I am confused...drilling and cutting mufflers for better sound? No offense, isn't this getting a little ricey? Last time I checked this is a Porsche Boxster, not a Chevy Cavalier. If you are going to replace the exhaust then fine, but let's try to draw the line somewhere.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #4

The more I look at this picture, the more confused I get. What do the numbered arrows represent, and is this muffler pre-mod or post mod...?

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
The more I look at this picture, the more confused I get. What do the numbered arrows represent, and is this muffler pre-mod or post mod...?

-- peer

Based on another stock muffler cut-away photo that I have I would say this looks like an unmodified muffler. The arrows show the flow of exhaust gas through the system.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #6

I think that Tool Pants originally posted this cut away photo of a muffler. Again, I believe this is stock.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #7

As I am getting more and more annoyed by the drone of my FabSpeed system, I am looking into alternatives. I'm honestly almost at the point of just putting a stock 03-04 S muffler back on the car with secondary cat bypass pipes.

Cutting these holes into area "3" is not going to enhance flow, its only letting more sound come out (unless I am mistaken).

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #8

Kirk wrote:
> The arrows show the flow of exhaust gas through the system.

Okay -- so I can follow the three first arrows, but arrow #4 makes no sense to me.

-- peer
Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
boxsterz

My main objective is more flow, and no drone. That discounts just about all aftermarket exhausts. As for flow, I suspect that is how the factory hobbled the 986s. My assumption is based on 996's and cayman's have more output/liter and basically the same motor. What is different is the exhaust plumbing.

987 has a revised smoother header (more hp too for that model).
Both 996 and Cayman use seperate mufflers for each bank, instead of the all in one 986. I think this builds a case for restrictive OEM 986 muffler. Each muffler does not fight the other.

Looking into 986S inlets, the pipe goes straight through! Each bank is fighting the other, then spills out in the middle, and onto the other chambers. The first pic I posted is misleading in that way, as the inlets look skewed. They are not. They go all the way through to other end.
Judging from the pics, I'm still not exactly sure how the exhuast is routing. Does the outlet pipes extend to the last chamber? I cannot tell on the right side.

I may have to cut open mine for a better idea. Does anyone have more pics the'd like to share?

Last edited by boxsterz; 10-10-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
The muffler has 5 chambers: Two outer, two intermediate, and one in the middle. The inlet pipe does go straight through the muffler. The incoming gases cause pressure, forcing themselves through the perforations into the intermediate chambers. I believe this action reduces much of the resonance in the exhaust. After the gases are in the intermediate chambers, they are forced into the outer chambers. From there they are piped to the center chamber, then out of the muffler. The Porsche Sport Exhaust uses external pipes to carry exhaust from the intermediate chambers to the exhaust outlets. By cutting into the intake pipe and allowing gases to flow directly into the outer chambers, you are creating an internal "Sport Exhaust". Modifying the exhaust in this way probably won't give you more flow, but it does produce a great sound, with only a bit of resonance.

If you want greater flow, the issue is first the header design, and then the bottleneck of the exhaust piping. The exhaust piping tapers down to 1.75" OD just after the headers.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Kirk wrote:
> The arrows show the flow of exhaust gas through the system.

Okay -- so I can follow the three first arrows, but arrow #4 makes no sense to me.

-- peer
in #4 you cant see it but there is another pipe that leads out to the exhaust Tip, You can see it better in Tool pants picture.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 AM   #12

Well, I'm still confused -- can't figure out how that stock muffler really works internally. Besides, comparing the pictures, there's obviously some difference between the 986 and the 986s muffler (assuming they both are stock).

The reason why I'm eager to know how a stock 986 muffler works, is that I recently bought one to try do a hack myself... but before cutting it open, I thought that I at least needed to know how it works -- but so far no luck.

I might need to emphasize that I'm looking for performance enhancements rather than sound, although I wouldn't mind if also the sound was improved (as long as it's not too loud or sound buzzy).

-- peer
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #13

Why not "Pedro Sport Exhaust"?

Hmmmmmm,

for me it seems that the "do it yourself PSE" http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9388 seems to be the much "cleaner" solution.
You get better sound, you can switch it on and off and you don't have to gut your exhaust
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Well, I'm still confused -- can't figure out how that stock muffler really works internally. Besides, comparing the pictures, there's obviously some difference between the 986 and the 986s muffler (assuming they both are stock).
>SNIP
-- peer

If you want performance, then why not just gut the thing to get maximum flow? Any free flowing mods like that though or any of the free flowing aftermarket mufflers will give you a resonance problem (buzzy). If you've got a stock 986, then why not just get a cheap, used S muffler off the net and install that? It would give you enough flow for a bigger engine but without any resonance problems.

I don't know muffler design but I do know subwoofer box design. Basically the insides of this muffler look a lot like a ported bandpass subwoofer box. Cut open any of those Bose subwoofer boxes with 6.5" drivers that produce a decent amount of bass and you'll find the same kind of design.

Exhaust gas expands into the first chamber through the perforated holes. This probably helps to reduce any pulses in sound from the engine. It then goes through a pipe to a second chamber. This is probably really the key to the whole system is that pipe between the first and second chambers. I imagine it's the same as a tuned port on a subwoofer box. The pipe was designed to an exact length and diameter to reject certain frequencies. I think this is why you don't get resonances with the stock system.

Again, I've seen the exact same kind of thing in Bose enclosures. They try to do a lot with very little (small, cheap drivers). Mostly they do this through carefull engineering design of the enclosure, the chamber sizes, and tuned ports between the chambers. This muffler looks to be designed using the same concepts.

If you would really want to improve flow while having no resonances like stock, then you'd almost have to go with the same kind of design except use larger diameter ports and adjust the length appropriately to get the same resonant frequency rejection. Someone in the aftermarket may eventually develop something like this, but it won't be cheap. Still you'd have a lot of GHL exhaust owners standing in line to get something without all of that buzzing.

Kirk
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #15

Muffler flow

"Well, I'm still confused -- can't figure out how that stock muffler really works internally. Besides, comparing the pictures, there's obviously some difference between the 986 and the 986s muffler (assuming they both are stock).

The reason why I'm eager to know how a stock 986 muffler works, is that I recently bought one to try do a hack myself... but before cutting it open, I thought that I at least needed to know how it works -- but so far no luck.

I might need to emphasize that I'm looking for performance enhancements rather than sound, although I wouldn't mind if also the sound was improved (as long as it's not too loud or sound buzzy).

-- peer"

By labeling the chambers of the first picture of this thread from the left, one through five. The gasses from the left inlet pipe travel through a pipe and are released into chamber two. From there they travel through a pipe and are released into chamber five. Then through a pipe (which you cannot see) into chamber three and out the exhaust pipe. The gasses from the right inlet pipe travel through a pipe and are released into chamber four. From there they pass through a pipe and are released into chamber one. Then through a pipe (which you cannot see) into chamber three and out through the exhaust pipe. The exhaust gasses from the right and left sides do not interact with each other. They each have a separate path through the muffler.

You probably will not gain any performance on making mods to the muffler. Only increased sound.
szentej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
The pipe was designed to an exact length and diameter to reject certain frequencies. I think this is why you don't get resonances with the stock system.
Kirk

Yes, I think so. Those chambers tune out drone in the 2-3k range. Though I like the sound, I think the 986 design really hurts flow. My guess is, what makes it quiet is the sound wave cancellation of the opposing cylinder banks which doesn't happen in the 996, 997, 987 and Cayman designs.

I do not think a max flow exhaust is necessarily a buzzy one. It depends on the length of the exhaust pipe and the Helmholtz principle.

Here's an interesting link,

http://www.autolounge.net/calculators/exhaust/exhaustresonance.html

RE: Pedro hack

I'm not crazy about the look, but I may just go that route. I would certainly be clean-er afterwards
Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by szentej
The exhaust gasses from the right and left sides do not interact with each other. They each have a separate path through the muffler.

No. They do interact in the middle of the muffler. That first pic is misleading. The left and right inlets connect in the middle; it is straight though from end to end. perforations along that length determine where the gas spills out into which chamber.

In the 986 S, there are gaps along the main length also, not sure about the base 986.

Last edited by boxsterz; 10-11-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 AM   #18

Many thanks to szentej for explaining the muffler flow -- so yes, I now finally get it.

szentej wrote:
> You probably will not gain any performance on making
> mods to the muffler. Only increased sound.

I'm not sure if you have seen this a dyno chart for a hacked muffler. I'm just curious what they exactly did to it, since it's quite an improvement, especially the torque.

-- peer
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
No. They do interact in the middle of the muffler. That first pic is misleading. The left and right inlets connect in the middle; it is straight though from end to end. perforations along that length determine where the gas spills out into which chamber.

Correct... the pipe in the very middle equalizes the pressure between the two sides that come into the muffler. Many motorcycle exhausts (like Harely Sportsters) have these equalizing pipes that connect the two exhaust outlets together.

One more correction... there are only two chambers on each side. After gases flow into the second chamber they are routed through piping out the exhaust tips. It's hard to see in the photos. I changed the brightness of the Tool Pants photo before I posted it to try to make it easier to see, but the pipe from the second chamber looks like it goes straight to the exhaust tip and not into that central chamber. I believe the central chamber does not receive any exhaust gases, but only houses the various piping. At least that's the way it is on the S muffler, you can't really see it in the picture of the standard Boxster muffler.

Kirk
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #20

Here is a second picture of the first (base Boxster) muffler with the packing removed.

The inside of the base muffler looks the same as the S muffler in the second picture. The only difference I can see is the spacing of the 2 tubes that exit the can to the tip(s).

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote