Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #1

Coolant drip

Went for a drive the other day, and shortly after leaving the temp light began to blink. The engine wasn't even up to temp. After letting it cool down, I check the fluid, and it was right at the min line. I added some distilled water, and let it warm up. No blinking light. However, I do see a steady drip underneath the car. It is towards the front of the car (just behind front wheels, right about in the middle between the passenger side and driver side. It looks like it in running down from somewhere higher up and dripping from the bottom.

Any idea on what it would be? How do I get access up there to see if I can figure out where it is coming from?

BTW - It is a '98 Tip with 33,000 miles.

dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #2

Most typical coolant leaks on the Boxster are caused by a cracked coolant tank in the trunk, which is what the blinking temp light means (low coolant). You obviously may have to track down the exact location of your leak.....
Old 10-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #3

dcompress,

Stupid question, but are you sure it is coolant dripping and not just condensation from the A/C ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #4

Coolant leak

To be 100% honest, I am not sure if it is coolant or not. It seemed to be creating a larger puddle than I would normally see from condensation. That being said, I should start it up with the air off, and let it get up to temp. I probably jumped to conclusions when I figured out the coolant level was low.

Thanks for the input!

dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote