Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #21

To Pat1USMC

I just spent the past three evening using the Zaino products with great results.

Did you add more than 10 drops of the Fx catalyst per 2 oz. of 2 or 5?

You did something wrong.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #22
cartagena

I emailed them last night and they answered 8:00am this morning. They either have really good response times or not too many clients.

They said for my car to buy Zaino Bros' Total Protection Show Car Kit.
Code# ZKIT-1 + Z-AIO.

I am going to order this today. They also included several pages of instructions.

The photos look awsome and everyone says it is great but it seems like so much to read.

Someone should make a drive through car wash that applies all this stuff where you just rop in your 50 cents and drive through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
cartagena ... sorry, Man, didn't immediately see your post. Probably don't need to start with all that stuff. I got the Z-5, Z-2, Z-6 and Z-7. First time, washed with Dawn, clayed (most clays will do) and applied a Z-5 and Z-2 coat with an intervening Z-6 spray/wipe down. First wash and waxes application, about 3 hours. Each wax application after a a Z-7 wash takes about an hour with about an ounce of wax. I alternate applications after several washes with Z-5, next wax after several washes with Z-2, etc. Car looks like it is made of glass!! Had one woman tell me that the car "... was so gorgeous, it is almost obscene!"
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #23

^Cartagena how much are they charging you for shipping?

p.s.
Who ever mentioned washing with Dawn, I would suggest against doing this.
Its not so pad for the paint but really not good for your weather stripping and moldings, bad for your rotors and brakes too.
Use a proper bodywork shampoo like P21s

http://www.autogeek.net/p2paincleanl.html
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-05-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #24

I applied a much thinner coat of Z-5 last night without the ZFX. I let it sit overnight and this morning buffed it out and followed with Z-8. It looks very good now. Has anyone tried their Z-CS clearseal?

Dawn is recommended just for that initial wash to take off the old wax. It mentions it on the Zaino website.
Pat1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #25
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1USMC
I applied a much thinner coat of Z-5 last night without the ZFX. I let it sit overnight and this morning buffed it out and followed with Z-8. It looks very good now. Has anyone tried their Z-CS clearseal?

Dawn is recommended just for that initial wash to take off the old wax. It mentions it on the Zaino website.
Good news, Pat!

I do not like the Z6 or Z8 detail spray. I like the #425 product that PerfectLab recommends better. Just an FYI.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #26

so Z5 and 425 work well together? Zaino's stuff is real picky about what you can apply over it.

*FYI 425 is more of s teflon coating for a freshly waxed or just washed car. It will make your wax choice last longer and keep the car cleaner but you still have to wax the car first. Works well on glass, dash, wheels, paint.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #27

Nice thread. I am gettting ready to take a porter cable to my boxster. I've practiced on the Honda & BMW, so, nothing left but the box...

The boxster is in great shape. No dings, no real scratches, etc. But if you are really, really picky I can see some microscratching in the metallic black paint. This is especially visible in direct sunlight. This is what I want to take out.

So -- should I use the Menzerna IP with a Yellow Pad on the buffer? Or can something more mild like a Z-PC with a white pad do the job? I always heard the advise to start with the least abrasive & work up. I don't really consider the Menzerna to be that abrasive. I've thought about doing both - start with the Menzerna, then go back over the car with the ZPC.

Either way, I'll clay first, then do a few coats of Zaino Z5, then Zaino Z2 to finish.

I'd be curious if anyone with a 5 year old black boxster has had any first hand experience?

Either way, I'll share the before/after pictures & my methods.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
Nice thread. I am gettting ready to take a porter cable to my boxster. I've practiced on the Honda & BMW, so, nothing left but the box...

The boxster is in great shape. No dings, no real scratches, etc. But if you are really, really picky I can see some microscratching in the metallic black paint. This is especially visible in direct sunlight. This is what I want to take out.

So -- should I use the Menzerna IP with a Yellow Pad on the buffer? Or can something more mild like a Z-PC with a white pad do the job? I always heard the advise to start with the least abrasive & work up. I don't really consider the Menzerna to be that abrasive. I've thought about doing both - start with the Menzerna, then go back over the car with the ZPC.

Either way, I'll clay first, then do a few coats of Zaino Z5, then Zaino Z2 to finish.

I'd be curious if anyone with a 5 year old black boxster has had any first hand experience?

Either way, I'll share the before/after pictures & my methods.
It sounds like you and I have the same paint color and condition. I have a 2002 basalt black (metallic black) with microscratching. I put on a couple coats of Z5 and am super happy with the results. The Z5 by itself did more than any swirl remover ever did. I did the Dawn wash, clay, rewash, then a coat of Z5 with the ZFX and then Z6. I finished off with another coat of Z5 and the finish looks great! There are still a few microscratches but much less than before. Whatever you do don't get crazy with the Dawn as it rusted my rotors pretty good and the braking was terrible for about 30 miles until the rust went away. Unfortunately all the rust was then on the inside of my wheels and some of it even got on the outside of the wheels and car.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
It sounds like you and I have the same paint color and condition. I have a 2002 basalt black (metallic black) with microscratching. I put on a couple coats of Z5 and am super happy with the results. The Z5 by itself did more than any swirl remover ever did. I did the Dawn wash, clay, rewash, then a coat of Z5 with the ZFX and then Z6. I finished off with another coat of Z5 and the finish looks great! There are still a few microscratches but much less than before. Whatever you do don't get crazy with the Dawn as it rusted my rotors pretty good and the braking was terrible for about 30 miles until the rust went away. Unfortunately all the rust was then on the inside of my wheels and some of it even got on the outside of the wheels and car.

Yes, Basalt Black too. Thanks for the warning on the rust. I'll keep that in mind.

You might have just convinced me to use the ZPC with a white pad on the buffer. That is a very mild combination for both the polish and the pad (finishing polish). It wasn't sure it was going to be enough, but sounds like you saw improvement without even using a polish. I'll post some before/after pics.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #30

.... dampen the pad prior to application...seems to help. If you can see the product on the paint you've used too much. One oz. (the bottles are 2 oz. I think) will cover the Boxster twice.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3558/hhiz503xt.jpg
KShep is offline   Reply With Quote