Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #1

Satellite Radio.... installation ideas?

I'm putting my sirius receiver in my 98 box and wondering what people have done to install the antenna/receiver/ etc... can't think of any good places to put it. want it out of site to prevent theft. thanks.

986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #2

are you going in dash or a portable unit?

I have a portable unit that I use in the car and on the PC and in a boombox.
Its a bit of a hassle as sometimes I forget to bring it with me. But Sirius charges you extra to have more than one device (car and home) so you don't have to lug around yet another gadget.

I bought a universal Satellite mount that I drilled to the inside of the cubby hole below the radio. I had a local speed shop do the hardwiring and the antenna was placed in the car corner of passenger dash.

Satellite radio is the greates thing. Everytime I forget to bring it with me into the car I'm reminded how bad FM radio sucks.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

Don't have pics handy -- I'll try to take a few t'night. I put the antenna on the metal "mesh" that rans across the odometer and tachometer. This may not work in the 986, but the 987 (06) has a metal-ish grid there. I put the receiver on the floor under the seat -- I mostly listen to baseball games so access/convience isn't too big of a factor. I connect via the FM modulator internal to the system. Sound quality is ok, not great.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #4

Antenna install under alarm LED cover in front center of dash works quite well on 986. Do a search here or ppbb.com for details.

choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote