Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 04:14 AM   #1
porsche986

Anyone has this problem also

Does anyone have a problem with the dust caps getting stolen from the valves on the wheels. I have replaced my dust caps around 3 or 4 times in the same bloody month...
Everytime i park up at the super market as this is the ONLY time the boxster is alone and they rape it..
i come back and my caps are always missing.. i have tried everything, even those anti theft ones but they still keep stealing them, it must be kids as they go missing 2 at a time, must be bmx bikes or something.. these caps are like £21.00 for a set of 4 and very shinny with a porsche crest in the middle. As soon as i see a kid with shinny caps on his bike i will get them back with a warning... the shinny caps must be what attracts them. Its a worrying fact that someone can do this and get away with it, wats to stop them scratching the car with a key or letting the tyres down.. anyways i have resulted back to basic black standard caps to try and stop this but again the little twats are stealing even them...

any ideas

Old 08-17-2004, 05:10 AM   #2

I suppose you could try super glue. The cure might well be worse than the disease, though. They may cut the valve stem off to get the cap to work on at their leisure.
Use the regular caps and save the crested ones for car shows.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:56 AM   #3

You could always take them off yourself when you get there, then put them back on before you leave.

Just a thought.

PS:

I've had mine stolen on my everyday driver ( Pontiac Firebird ) a few times. Its annoying.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:29 AM   #4
porsche986

yer good idea.. supeclue i thought about that but like you say if they didnt get the caps they might damage something...

i think i will follow the advice and take them off when i go in and put them back on when i come out, or wire 240volts to the caps and fry the twats...
Old 08-17-2004, 06:36 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
1) Gather 3 of your biggest, meanest friends.

2) Park Boxster in middle of parking lot with brand new, shiny caps.

3) Wait in blacked out van across parking lot.

4) Post here to let us know how it goes down. (get pictures!)

*just kidding, naturally.............

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #6

Or just stop shopping with it :-)

Just kidding...which relates to my problem...
whenever I go somewhere, I park my boxst at the remote, far and EMPTY part of the car park....(good for exercise anyway !)
When I come back to the car, this part of the parking is STILL empty except some *family* car parked next to it (at door scratching distance if you see what I mean...)...
My theory: dads can't resist the "daddy daddy can we park next to the Porsche" screams coming from the back seats...but maybe I am just paranoid :-) LOL
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 AM   #7

I have the same caps, and I thought that mine would be gone by now but they are all still there and i live in Detroit.

I like Subanez's idea the best
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #8

Definatly do a stakeout inside the car or outside. Get the police involved if you catch them. I always call the cops on kids who I think are loitering around the golf course I play.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #9

yup, a stakeout is certainly in order considering they're repeat offenders.

When you catch the little nippers call the police and make the kids pay you back for every set you've lost thus far as punishment.

Kids that don't get caught and punished grow up to be hardened criminals who never earn enough to buy a Porsche and gain some respect for others!

It's only been two months that I've owned a Porsche and I'm already a mean old man!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:28 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
^^^Haha!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #11

Okay here's what you can do. Use medium strength Loctite thread locker and the only way you will get them off is with a wrench, of which you might want to keep in your trunk somewhere.
Or what I have done is drill a small hole in the side of the valve stem cover use a #4 tap and insert a #4 allen head set screw.
of which again you MUST keep wrench in you car.

The LOCTITE can be bought at any hardware store. The latter however is much cooler and gives you bragging rights.

Hope this helps.
"J"
Jeffrey776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 AM   #12
porsche986

very very good advice. yep i rekon a stakeout is called for.. i like the idea with the allen keys...

great stuff... lol
Old 08-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I like the stakeout idea myself, complete with video surveillance. I recall hearing about a guy whose ugly fin (you know those home made crappy looking things on japanese cars???) kept getting stolen off the back of his car and he rigged a camera and caught the guys in the act of doing it.

I have a friend who has some sort of locking wheels on his car. He lost the key or whatever takes them off and couldn't even get them off himself in his own driveway! Finally he had to buy a metal detector to go find the key in the grass where he'd dropped it.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 AM   #14

stake it out, catch them and rob them
automon

Automon is offline   Reply With Quote