Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #1

2nd RMS Leak??

Okay, I noticed some oil on the ground today in the same spot as before where my RMS leak was. I just had it replaced along with the clutch no more than 1,000 miles ago. Just this past July. I'm hoping it was just water that got the old oil spot on the ground wet again and is not a new drip. My question is, what can they possible do a 2nd time that they did not do the last time if it is the same problem again? Am I supposed to just keep paying to have the seal replaced? Seems like a waste of money.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 09-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #2

Not to be rain on your parade, but yes, replacement seals have been known to fail as well. While I have never fully understood the technical parts of the RMS, repeated failures would make me wonder if more than the seal is the problem.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Not to be rain on your parade, but yes, replacement seals have been known to fail as well. While I have never fully understood the technical parts of the RMS, repeated failures would make me wonder if more than the seal is the problem.
I had all of the seals in that area of the RMS replaced at the same time. I think there were 2 seperate areas. A seal and some type of ring with it's own seal. I don't remember all of the parts. Just that when I ordered it from Suncoast, they sold me everything that was needed, including my new clutch.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #4

Can I ask how many miles you had on the motor when you replaced the RMS? Also, how many miles do you have on the replacement RMS?

The dreaded RMS failure haunts the porsche enthusiasts..... : (
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
Can I ask how many miles you had on the motor when you replaced the RMS? Also, how many miles do you have on the replacement RMS?

The dreaded RMS failure haunts the porsche enthusiasts..... : (
Like I said I only put about 1,000 miles on it. Had it replaced at 58,000. My car now has 59,000 on it. No other problems. I wonder if it's something else around that same area? Is there anything else that is close to that area that could cause a slow oil drip?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #6

how much oil is there? small dime spot or are we talking half a quart each morning?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
how much oil is there? small dime spot or are we talking half a quart each morning?
Small dime spot size. like 2-3 drops. That's it.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
bmussatti

porsche986spyder, wouldn't the repair be covered under a warranty from the dealership? I hope so.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #9

Who did the repair on the RMS? Are you SURE it was done? I can picture some unethical mechanic wiping down the area, rubbing the seal with a grease & taking your grand. Works great for oh, say, 1000 miles or so...
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
boggtown

Probably installation error. I hear you have to be super duper careful and delicate with the new seal. You probably had a fat fingered mechanic who forced it in or didnt seat the final rib.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #11

Well, I wanted to save a few hundred dollars and not use the steelership. So after I ordered all the parts needed along with a new clutch from Suncoast, I had my regular shop, Stuttgart that does all my work change it out. They did it for $860.00 instead of $1200.00 from the dealership. I'm thinking I should have gone to the dealership now. I'm bringing it back to Stuttgart here in Dallas on Friday. They said they would look at it for me. I'm not sure if it's the same problem or not, I can't really see up under the car to see where it is coming from. It just appears that way from what I can see on the ground. It's also due for it's oil change. I'm not sure why they did not change that when they did the RMS replacement. Instead they just topped off the oil after having to drain some of it. They should have done a complete oil filter change. Makes me wonder if the oil filter is just so dirty that it is clogging up and seeping out someplace else, like a drip from the new seals.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #12

Good News!!!!

I just got my car back and it was not the RMS again. It was only the oil filter that had come lose. It was due for its oil change anyway so it was an easy fix. Note to self, NEVER take car to Pep-Boys to have the oil changed. I'm glad I found a local German car Porsche mechanic here in Dallas. Oil change at STUTTGART is only $99.00! Plus I had a coupon because I'm on their mailing list and got $25 off on top of that! Great mechanic and service. If anyone lives in the Dallas area, I would highly recommend them.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #13

that is good news....!

anytime there isn't an RMS leak is cause for celebration... LOL

enjoy !