986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Are certain colors considered rare? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13184)

ultimate1 09-13-2007 02:46 PM

Are certain colors considered rare?

I was wondering if certain colors are considered to be rare for boxsters and if those colors or color combinations add to the value of the car.

BoxsterBob - CA 09-13-2007 02:56 PM

I would consider Turquoise Blue, Jade Green, Zanzabar and Orient Red rare. In some cases, it can dimish the value, as your pool of potential buyers is reduced, as opposed to Arctic Silver, Guards Red and Black.

It's all in the eye of the beholder :) If I were to buy a silver Boxster, I would look for Polar Silver, but I don't know if I would pay a premium. There are definitely some combos that could seriously diminish the value, Speed Yellow w/ Boxster Red interior comes to mind along with any thing with Sea Foam Green interior. :eek:

I would also advise against gold plating: :p

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...Porsche_7w.jpg

bmussatti 09-13-2007 03:00 PM

There are the instances that Porsche does a Limited Edition color, like the Orange for the 2008 Boxster. There are Boxsters in colors that are less plentifull...and a few are on this Forum.

Don't forget that Porsche will custom paint the car any color you want for about $5K. And they have "special" colors that they (have) charge(d) upwards of $2K to get.

But, ultimately, the value is really set by the party that is willing to pay more for a given color combo, if at all. What I might think is a great color combo, another person may not, and therfore not willing to pay more $$ for the car.

J-RAD 09-13-2007 03:50 PM

I wouldn't say 'rare' so much as 'undesirable'! :) :cheers:

NickCats 09-13-2007 05:23 PM

Here's a custom color for ya, Rolex Green !

http://www.autospies.com/news/PHOTOS-What-happens-when-you-cross-a-Porsche-Boxster-with-a-Rolex-7287/

( sorry for the repost )

Nick

blinkwatt 09-13-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate1
I was wondering if certain colors are considered to be rare for boxsters and if those colors or color combinations add to the value of the car.

I've only seen one other Zenith Blue Boxster like mine on the road ever,that includes the P-Car meets I've been to as well.

As for adding to the value? It's up to the buyer to determine that.

I saw a pink Boxster once,I don't think that added any value.

Wonko The Sane 09-13-2007 08:33 PM

Nick, that Rolex Green w/ tan interior is beautiful :) I love the british racing green/tan leather combo... I'm not diggin' the whole cocoa top thing, though...

rick3000 09-14-2007 04:24 AM

It depends. If I had to buy a Boxster again, I would go with the Artic silver, because I needed to find a used hardtop. Because the silver is more common there where a lot more silver hardtops avaliable than ocean blue. In the end it all depend on the buyer and it is hard to say ahead of time.

Wret 09-14-2007 05:19 AM

I actually kept track of colors when I searched for my car. I found that among cars for sale the color predominance was silver, black, blue, red, yellow, grey and white, in that order. I think I may have calculated percentages at one point, then realized I was being way too analytical and tossed them out.

Ronzi 09-14-2007 07:40 AM

I think you would be hard pressed to make the argument that any particular color would result in a higher resale price than any other color.
On the other hand I believe you can make the argument that off-beat colors can make a car more difficult, but not necessarily cheaper, to sell.
Speed Yellow, for example, is not everybody's cup of tea since it just screams at you whether it's sitting still or in motion. It looks great at a car show, however.

Take a look at the new car inventory at any Porsche dealer. All you will find is one silver, gray, or black car after another, maybe with a dark blue one once in a while for the real extroverts.
Anything else and you have to special order, and maybe pay a premium for it.
Go figure.

mikefocke 09-14-2007 10:19 AM

I've seen studies where the color affected the resale price by 30%.

From memory, yellow and green were to be avoided, silver/gray the best. I'm sure it varies from car to car and from year to year.

blue2000s 09-14-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I've only seen one other Zenith Blue Boxster like mine on the road ever,that includes the P-Car meets I've been to as well.

My brotha'

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37.../box_front.jpg

mikefocke 09-14-2007 10:39 AM

Color affects resale by up to 20%

You can market to 80% of the people who will accept the more common color but reject certain colors or to the 10% who want a specific uncommon color. The more difficulty you have finding a buyer, the more you have to drop your price.

Silver is 10% more than typical, red and green are 10% less than typical. So the difference is 20%

I'm sure it varies by car and changes over the years.

achtung 09-14-2007 10:48 AM

Hey Ronzi,
Great Car! I have a Speed Yellow one myself. But, get rid of the bra...this is 2007

djomlas 09-14-2007 12:19 PM

i think i can safely saw that the color of my car is rare ;)

BoxsterBob - CA 09-14-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
i think i can safely saw that the color of my car is rare ;)

So are those wheels! ;) When will the answer be revealed?

rick3000 09-14-2007 01:05 PM

It all depends, if your color it attached to a limited edition thing like the orange boxsters, then yes some people might pay a premium.

Ken Corsun 09-14-2007 01:12 PM

Most Porsche Colors Are...

very dull. Speed yellow stands out.

Ken

racer_d 09-14-2007 03:59 PM

I like the funky colors. I love the return of the Viper Green and Orange on the GT3RS. I like those '70s safety colors but also some of the blues (Albert Blue) and Aubergine look great on the "old" cars. Since Boxsters will be "old" one day, will you want one that disappears or stands out?

leathers 09-14-2007 06:56 PM

I do believe it is worth paying a premium for some colors, Polar Silver for example............oh...........that's the color of mine!!!!!!!!!