Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #1

Question Track Driving Available ??

I often get frustrated driving my boxster on conventional roads. Speed limits are so 'limiting'. However I know we have speed limits for a reason. Do any of you guys have access to tracks that you can take your car on and stretch out ? If so how does it work ? Do you have to pay a fee for the use of the track ? I'm not a wild driver but I sure would like to take my boxster and put it through it's paces every now and then to see what it can do. Any comments will be helpful.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Join your local PCA. Lots of great track events out your way. Here is the next one on the left coast.
http://gpx.pca.org/Documents/Oct%208%20Day%20Away%20from%20Work%20DE-Autocross%20flyer.pdf
Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #3

Check your local tracks as well. We have a track here that has what they call "fun days" On days that they have no events you can drive up, pay 120.00 AND drive to your hearts content.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #4

The Niagra Region of the PCA is holding a DE at Watkins Glen in early Oct. A nice weekend to spend on the track improving your skills and going fast.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #5

As mentioned above you should first join your local PCA. From there you will need to sign up for a Drivers Training (DT) event, which will then enable you to participate in future Drivers Education (DE) events. Here is how it works:

Drivers Training
This is a one day class with an instructor. You will go through a number of 'drills' regarding handling, braking etc... as well as classroom work on how to find an apex. Then you will do lapping with the instructor in the car providing feedback. Normally this one day class is on a Friday and there is a DE event on Saturday and Sunday. So you can do both the DT and the DE over a three day weekend.

Drivers Education
The standard DE event (varies by region) is over a weekend. There are driving groups based on experience, for my region it is beginner, intermediate, expert, and instructor (the crazy guys in the Cup cars). You will be assigned one of these 'run groups' and be on and off the track during the course of the weekend. At your first DE an instructor will likely ride with you for at least part of the time. You are required to have passed a DT in order to participate in a DE.

Stuff You Need
You will need to get a certified helmet, car tech inspection, and numbers for your car. The inspection can be done at a Porsche dealer for about $50. You also need to make sure that you have clearance under your rollbar with the helmet on. Usually not a problem for a 987, but might be an issue with a 986.

Other Events
There are other events outside of the PCA. From what I have seen, most of them still require that you have a class so going to at least one DT will meet this need. There is a local group here that rents the track out on a weekday several times a year and offers open track time for a fee. This is nice b/c it doesn't take up a whole weekend and there aren't any run groups, just go whenever you want.

Overall, I strongly recommend that you at least try one DT/DE event and see if you like it. I really enjoyed it and met some great people in the process. There are some very serious people there but there is no pressure if you want to be more conservative and just enjoy some time on the track.

Good Luck.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
I often get frustrated driving my boxster on conventional roads. Speed limits are so 'limiting'. However I know we have speed limits for a reason. Do any of you guys have access to tracks that you can take your car on and stretch out ? If so how does it work ? Do you have to pay a fee for the use of the track ? I'm not a wild driver but I sure would like to take my boxster and put it through it's paces every now and then to see what it can do. Any comments will be helpful.
Your timing is good. PCA Potomac is running a High Performance Driving Clinic (HPDC) on the 22nd at Summit Point's Jefferson Circuit (near Charlestown, WV). About 1 hour from the VA DC suburbs -- not sure where in Virginia you are.

The HPDC is a great intro to track driving with morning driving exercises (skidpad, slaloms, threshold braking, how to take a turn, etc.) and afternoon lapping sessions. You will definitely push yourself and your car to the limit and learn a bunch. If you enjoy the lapping sessions then the next step is to start doing HPDE -- so called Driver's Education events. PCA Potomac holds about one per month from March through November at such tracks as Summit Point (main and Shenandoah circuits), VIR, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, and sometimes other tracks.

Visit www.pcapotomac.org for all the info you need. Look in the Drivers Education section for info on the upcoming HPDC.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #7

Where in VA are you? Summit Point in the north near Charlestown WV (about 90 miles form DC) and Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in near Danville on the VA/Carolina Border bracket VA nicely.

PCA (www.pca.org) runs great events. There are other groups too like Chin Motorsport, Track Guys, and others.

Most of these clubs run 3-5 30 or so minute sessions, grouped by skill level. Instructors available/required to beginners. Once you get to go fast on the track, you often wonder 1) why you waited so long and 2) just how scary going superfast on the street can be.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #8

I am signed up for for my first DE through the PCA the first weekend in November. Here's a link to the track.

http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/index.shtml
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #9

Smile gmboxster

Thanks for all the great information. I live about 20 minutes from Virginia International Raceway (VIR). However I work every weekend currently but I will inquire there. Thanks again!!
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #10

Potomac region PCA just had a DE at VIR this past weekend... from what I heard a good time. VIR has other events, held by people like Chin Motorsports, from time to time that will allow you get out there without having to be in the PCA or take a "DT"... and yet its still a legit DE with instructor. Just check VIR's schedule and they should have links to the upcoming events and the organizers of said events. VIR is a great track, but its not for the faint of heart.
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #11

Here is a good link. Don't get addicted.

http://www.thetrackschedule.com/index.php

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote