Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
boggtown

My New Headers

I am just making an update, I havent got my new headers yet, they are coming in like an hour via fedex. But I couldnt wait and took my old ones off. Let me just say, these were a breeze! I sprayed PB blaster on there before class, came back 2 hours later and only needed to use a pipe extension on 3 cat bolts and 1 manifold bolt. No creak and squeal breaking free (except 2), just a smooth unbolt. If I could, id marry that PB blaster cause I know if I hadnt used it Id be up **************** creek. I didnt have to unbolt any of those tranny mounts, only the plastic shield. So far ive used a half inch drive wrench, a 13mm closed end crescent, a pipe, screw driver, 10mm/13mm socket, and an extension (perfect length, id say about a 4-5 inch one). I will update after im done putting the new ones on. They are ebay headers. Look like the same ones all those different sellers sell, but this guy starts his at 250, so I saved a butt load. I just want to mention again, this was very easy, id give it a 2. Much easier than the intake or seats.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #2

"I sprayed PB blaster on there before class, came back 2 hours later and only needed to use a pipe extension on 3 cat bolts and 1 manifold bolt."

Lucky man, we also sprayed PB blaster and waited, then two bolts broke off in the engine block while removing the stock headers.

It took forever to get the snapped bolt shanks out and retap the bolt holes. The experienced Porsche mechanic that did the job said it was not unusual for a car the age of mine, especially if it has seen some winters, to have trouble with those bolts.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Sweet man,keep us informed.

Don't you have a lift at your house that you work on the car with? How hard do you think it would be if done on ramps?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i see those all the time, how much did they end up costing you?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
boggtown

Update: Headers are on. Unlucky, I was on the VERY last bolt tightening it, and it sheared. It is sticking out about a half inch so I took the headers off and tried to take it out with some vise grips. Nope, so i put the headers back on, tightened them all up except for the broken one and now a new one that is getting tight about halfway (same situation of the broken one, so I didnt want to push it). So it leaks there. I will take it tomorrow to get that bolt out and get the other one replaced. No biggie, hopefully only a $20 fix. I can definately tell it wants to sound mean, but the leak over tones it, so I cant hear it perfectly.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
blkboxster

damn stock headers look like crap, how much did the new ones cost and how quality?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
boggtown

$270 shipped. As good as delubuz (same company makes them).
Old 09-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #8

Dude Bogg it looks like you did the work in a parking garage!?

Good work man. Hopefully you get that thing with broken bolts squared away.

Judging from the pics it looks like the header are quality,is that far to assume?

Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
boggtown

"Dude Bogg it looks like you did the work in a parking garage!?"

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
blkboxster

Cool, 1 more ?, any Cel
Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
boggtown

I only drove it around the block once and reved it 2 times, but no, no CEL, even with the crazy leak. Most CEL's are from O2 sensors or MAF's, not headers themselves (unless 00+). And I assume the O2's go is due to the increased flow of heat, but I dont know, lol.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
boggtown

Oh ya, I wanted to mention I had to rotate a clamp to get the headers on. Its a hose clamp that was positioned so the screw head was right in the way, so I loosened it and rotated it so the band was near the header. I didnt remove any of the braces like some said they did. The headers weigh near the stock ones since they arnt cast lead like the stock ones, lol.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #13

From your Renntech profile it looks like you still have the stock muffler, is that correct? I'd be interested to know how the car sounds with the new headers and stock muffler, once you get the leak fixed. Maybe an option for people looking for louder with no resonance?
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Looks great! On another note...why do you think our stock headers are so crappy? Why didn't they throw in better ones from the get go? I mean, if the arguement is to limit power until later model years in the life cycle of the car, do the newest 987s have better headers now? I don't get it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Looks great! On another note...why do you think our stock headers are so crappy? Why didn't they throw in better ones from the get go? I mean, if the arguement is to limit power until later model years in the life cycle of the car, do the newest 987s have better headers now? I don't get it.
I would think Porsche thought about how these cars would be daily drivers and they didn't want any resonance issues,which I think the headers add.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #16
boggtown

Called around, no one said theyd do it. It was always "we dont even mess with it". Called midas, they said sure. 85 bucks (the downside of a chain place) and they fixed it. Unfortunately I think its still baby leaking from the drivers side, I will look later. I push the gas, hear the tiny click click and cant tell if its my valves now that it has higher flow, or if its the header. I will find out. It makes a difference, I havent gotten on it so i dont know about power. It is a little louder, and it wants to resonate, but it doesnt. Kind of like on the threshold of frequency. I will probably get new gaskets (I got sent used ones, uhg) and new bolts. Hopefully the gaskets are the problem.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I would think Porsche thought about how these cars would be daily drivers and they didn't want any resonance issues,which I think the headers add.
I thought that resonance is cancelled out by the muffler?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #18

One must never forget that these aftermarket headers are made out of stainless steel, not cast iron like the originals. Therefore, they "tick" a little as the steel expands and contracts, most noticeably at idle.

My passenger side header, sent from Che last year, had a true leak in the collector and had a hissing sound under hard acceleration. Of course, he swapped it out immediately and without question. There was an hour of labor I had to pay though to get it swapped.

Any aftermarket headers should be checked for leaks before you install them to save money, especially these eBay parts we're putting on our cars. When I got the replacement header, I used packing tape to tape up the engine side of it really well, cleaning the surface with alcohol before I taped it up.

Then I blew into the other end while my wife listened for possible air leaks in the collector. I huffed and puffed and could not find a leak, so I had it installed.

Killer price, by the way. That's like $400 off, no? It's nice to see parts for our cars coming down in the realm of reality.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My passenger side header, sent from Che last year, had a true leak in the collector and had a hissing sound under hard acceleration.
What part of the header is the 'collector'?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #20

The collector is where the three pipes go into one pipe.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote