Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #1

oil leak

Hey this might sound like a dumb question. I recently took the car into the shop to replace the AOS and also changed the oil since the car sucked up most of the motor oil. When I brought the car home, I've noticed a small drip of oil. I thought it was just a loose drain plug or filter. The shop told me the next day that it is the RMS that's leaking. I know the shop used 10qts of oil for the oil change while the manual stated 9-9.3 qts max. My question is could over filling cause a leak or would it possibly be the RMS failing? I have a '01 Boxster S manual with 80k miles. The drip is coming from the center. It is a very slow drip and goes away when the car has been parked for an extended amount of time. I only see it leak after I drove the car for a bit. The car did not have a leak before the whole AOS incident. Do I just have the best luck in the world or could this be something simple? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

billydakid2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #2

The shop charges for 10 quarts, but it shouldn't use all ten. Did you check the dipstick and see where the oil level is at?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #3

If way too much oil was put in you would know it from all the smoke from your exhaust.

I can guess about the 10 quarts of oil. If they used 9 point something quarts from 1 quart containers then you get charged for all 10.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #4

Get under that bad boy and find out where it's dripping from!

They could have just futzed tightening a hose fitting, and it's dripping down from the AOS. Maybe they tweaked the oil fill tube?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! I say 10qts because I supplied the oil and I brought 2 5qt jugs. The shop told me it'll take 11qts which sounds really strange because the manual says 9.3 w/filter. It's a small leak so I can live with it. I'll just wait till the clutch starts to fail before I go in and change the rms and clutch all together.
billydakid2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydakid2007
Thanks for the replies! I say 10qts because I supplied the oil and I brought 2 5qt jugs. The shop told me it'll take 11qts which sounds really strange because the manual says 9.3 w/filter. It's a small leak so I can live with it. I'll just wait till the clutch starts to fail before I go in and change the rms and clutch all together.
That's what I did. But just so you know, those small drips on the ground could be more than meets the eye because there is a SPLASH GUARD that sits underneath that area. So what looks like only a few drops on the ground could actually be more underneath because the splash guard is holding allot more from dripping down on the other side.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote