Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
so what exactly is WurstFest? Is that like some kind of a sausage fest?

Something like that. A lot of areas of Texas were settled by German immigrants, so there are a lot of German traditional celebrations. Wurstfest is one of them... in 'New Braunfels'... a German named town. Go figure!

I won't be able to make it, since I'm going to Virginia... I'm still waiting on the details from my buddy here who is getting it together. The drive is not an OFFICIAL event.

I'll post here as soon as I know what the plan is, so you guys will know!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #22

Fray, it's the week of the event and I really need to know when and where and who and all that stuff.

I am the kind of guy who likes to have things planned out a couple days in advance at least. Since I'm coming from Houston, I won't be able to get email late Friday night or check this web site... call your buddy and tell him to get on the stick and post something here sooner than later.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #23

Randall, I just sent Jamie an email asking if he's close to having a plan. I definitely want to get it to you guys here... because you'll have a BLAST!

I think they are planning on stopping out at a guy's shop in Wimberley as part of the drive. Last time we went out there (early last year) he had an original ~73 RS stripped down to the tub that he was restoring. I'm not sure what he has now, but he has a few Porsche projects going on usually.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #24

Here's the mostly tentative plan from my friend Jamie:

Looks like the weather will be great for a Hill Country Drive this weekend. My calender is cleared for many miles. I am sending this message only to those who responded to go for the drive.

Meeting place: We will meet at 8AM at the Starbucks at the corner of HWY 71/290 and Brodie lane in South Austin. The address is:

Starbucks, 5400 Brodie Ln Sunset Valley, TX 78745
A map can be found here.

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps2.py?Pyt=Typ&name=Starbucks&desc=(512)+891-9173&addr=5400+Brodie+Ln+%23+930&csz=Sunset+Valley+TX

I plan to leave for the drive at 9am sharp. Any later and we risk traffic on the backroads getting out of town. This gives people an hour to gas up, fuel up with coffee and have lots of photos and B.S. sharing. They have muffins and such at Starbucks and there will be other breakfast options close by.

Our planned route has two options. Both have a route that heads out to Boerne, TX and returns on the South side of Canyon lake. This will follow the Guadalupe river into New Braunfels to the WurstFest. We will arrive at WurstFest around 1pm and have lunch there.

Here is the question... How many would rather skip the WurstFest and continue from Boerne down through the Bandera Region for what many claim to be the best roads in TX. This route would take most of the day to complete making us skip WurstFest. This means we would find a lunch option on the road. I will be trying out some new roads and the route could take longer than expected. We could meet for a beer/dinner on our return to Austin for more Bench Racing.

Think about the option for a full day of driving. We can make the decision in the morning before leaving.

I will try to have a limited number of que sheets available for each route. this will help if our group gets too big. Right now it is much smaller than I have had in the past and it should be no problem to keep everyone together. btw, if anyone has FRS 2-way radios please bring them. It will help to keep the lead car in touch with the follow cars.

If you're going to go, and want to voice an opinion on the route, email Jamie at
jamie DOT novak AT hotmail DOT com

Just mention that you're from the 986 forum, and that Matt sent you over! Have a good time and be safe!!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #25

Whew!

I was just wondering whether this was gonna happen at all... we'd already made plans to drive to Austin and stay with my wife's friend.

Thanks, Fray, and see you at Starbucks!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Whew!

I was just wondering whether this was gonna happen at all... we'd already made plans to drive to Austin and stay with my wife's friend.

Thanks, Fray, and see you at Starbucks!
I won't be there... I'll be in Virginia! But if I can, I'll have Starbucks that morning, and wish I were driving my Boxster!

Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #27

Had fun this weekend! Oddly enough, I was the oldest guy there with the youngest Porsche. Totally opposite than normal at these kinds of rallies.

It was nice to have as much HP and torque as all the other cars, and more in the case of one or two of the cars.

There were five of us total. I was the only boxster. All the others were older 911's.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #28

Hey Randall,

Any pictures ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #29

Nope. Forgot the camera.

It was an OK day... not nearly as much fun as the time we had on the TOD trip!

I think if I had it to do all over again I'd probably not do it. I was really hoping some of the other forum members would have shown up, and I was the only one.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #30

Hey guys,

I wish I would have made it since I live in Austin. Unfortunately, I was in San Jose, CA this pass week and weekend.

chig is offline   Reply With Quote