Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Good luck with that decision. I've been looking since I got my Box. Every time I think I've picked one out, I find something else I like better. If I had the coin to drop on HRE's the decision would be simple.
I currently have the 19" HRE 540s(3 piece). Im happy with the fit, ride, and the look. Not to hijack this thread but IMO, id stay away from multi piece wheels. I think monoblocks(1 piece) wheel designs are far more durable for everyday driving. Ive bent those wheels a couple times now and im just tired of the headaches. The wheel repair guy is actually contemplating on welding the internal seams to prevent future leaks. I live in SoCal and im very carefull when i drive, but you cant just get lucky everytime.
I dont track the car thats why weight is not a factor for me, i dont mind heavier monoblocks.
I have 19" BBS Starform monoblocks on my 92 911 Turbo, never have i bent those wheels.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by spine911; 09-08-2007 at 08:45 AM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #2

I have the 19' wheels on my S. I love the way they look, get lots of positive comments, wouldn't change them The rear tires are 265/35/19.

Cheers, Gord.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #3

Go for the 18's, unless you are made of money, its expensive enough to pay for the 18's. The other reason to consider 19's if you are doing some serious track work and want that short, stiff sidewall. I am not sure how much harsher the 19's are, but I could tell the difference going from 17's to 18's, just my two cents,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
boggtown

19's, Its a factory size even. It really does look good. But its all up to you. Its not like my car looks good or anything...
Old 09-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thx for the replys guys.
i know that the car will stop good, so good the brakes will look is no concern, plus boggtown shows, they don't look that bad at all, or i mean small.

so just to clear this up....if i go with 275s i will need spacers?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
boggtown

The width of the wheel or size of the tire have nothing to do with spacers, its the offsets. If you buy wheels made for the boxster and have the correct offsets you wont need spacers. My company had them universal for 996/986 so I did need a 7mm spacer on the rear. If you buy a proper set that are custom made for a boxster's offset (BBS, O.Z., Fikse, etc...) you wont have any worries. I hate to go expensive on you, but tirerack has some good stuff. If not, ebay rims seem to be just fine surprisingly. I use a 275 rear BTW and a 235 front.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thx for the reply.
so what different offsets can be fitted for a 986?
55F and 42R? is that all or?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote